- “The spawn are clear in their intent, but an apostate is always unknown.”
While fleeing Lothering, Hawke encounters Wesley and his wife, Aveline, battling darkspawn. As they defend themselves, Wesley is cut across the arm and almost killed by a Hurlock, but is saved when Aveline tackles, beats and decapitates it. Still surrounded and outnumbered, the two are saved by the Hawke family. Wesley is initially hostile towards Bethany (and Hawke if a mage), but relents out of gratitude for saving them and due to Aveline's insistence. She suggests that she and Wesley go with them to Gwaren and take a ship to Kirkwall. When one of Hawke's siblings dies, Wesley blesses them to comfort Leandra.
Due to the Darkspawn taint, Wesley will not survive. Either Aveline or Hawke can grant him a quick death.
If Hawke chooses to let Aveline decide Wesley's fate:
If Hawke encourages Aveline to put him out of his misery:
- Wesley wears a more streamlined version of the traditional Templar Armor, with the Templar sword symbol pointing down rather than up as it did in Origins.
- Wesley is the first example shown of a married Templar.
- When combat initiates at any point Wesley declare "I will not die today!". Ironically, regardless of your actions, he will ultimately perish.
- (Said to Bethany after he and Aveline are rescued by Hawke's party) Apostate...keep your distance!
- "Ashes we were, and ashes we become. Maker, give this young woman/man a place at your side. Let us find comfort in the peace she/he has found, in eternity."
- Hawke: "The wrath of the templars is terrible indeed."
- Wesley: "More-so their wives, but as long as there is a greater danger you and I have an accord."