Fill a bottle of smoke, study the methods required to use it, and Kihm will reveal the secrets of the Tempest specialization. Kill demons to fill essence containment apparatuses at Apostate's Landing, Long River, and Storm's Solitude in the Storm Coast. Readings can be found among the belongings of followers who share this discipline. Or, if unavailable, among the wares of the book merchant in Val Royeaux.
This quest is not available until you complete From the Ashes and reach Skyhold. The war table operation, Specializations for the Inquisitor, will appear when you leave Skyhold for the first time and return. Completing the operation unlocks specialization quests.
Three potential trainers, one for each specialization, will arrive at Skyhold to teach the rogue Inquisitor a specialization. Talk to the Tempest trainer Kihm to start the quest.
You must craft a Bottle of Smoke for this quest.
How does one put lightning in a bottle? How does one capture the essence of fire and place it with essence of cold so they exist in harmony? To those asking such questions, understanding the storm leads to becoming the storm. More practically, the "bottle of smoke" will house the elemental forces upon which they draw to coat their blades and become a force of nature in the battlefield.
The following materials are required:
- Writing on Tempest methods
- Essence Containment Apparatus
- Spirit Essence
Essence Containment Apparatuses are dropped by demons on the Storm Coast:
- Starting at the Storms Solitude Camp, travel south on the trail. Where the trail splits, choose to travel up the mountain, through a tunnel formed by a boulder over the path, then continue along the path to the left to encounter the demon.
- East of the Small Grove Camp, the Demon is near The Stone Tree landmark and an astrarium on Apostate's Landing.
- From the Small Grove Camp travel south to rocky hill right before the mouth of the Long River. The demon can be found at the top of this hill.
Spirit Essences can be dropped by any terror demon or shade. They can also be looted from the sarcophagus in the first chamber during the side quest The Spirit Calmed in the Forbidden Oasis. Three spirit essences are also a possible reward from the War table operation Deploy Rhys and Evangeline.
Craft the bottle at any requisition table and return to Kihm to complete the quest and learn the Tempest specialization.
- All three specialization quests can be active at the same time and their appropriate items crafted; however, only one specialization can be chosen.
- Unlocks the war table operation Smash.
- In the game files, Bottle of Smoke recipe is called, "BottleSmokeLavaLamp".