King Brandel erected Caer Bronach in 8:26 Blessed, intending the fort as a stopover garrison for Fereldan soldiers fighting Orlesian invaders. The village of Crestwood takes its name from the fort's first captain Ser Venar Crestwood, who held Caer Bronach longer than anyone thought possible against a vanguard of the Orlesian army. Impressed by Ser Crestwood's tenacity and endurance, the remaining officers left the small village around the fort untouched as the Orlesians made for the capital, sparing hundreds of innocent lives.
Crestwood is a small village of no real consequence to the lords and ladies who ride through on their way to Val Royeaux or Denerim. The people are glad for visitors; residents tend livestock and grow what crops they can, but their chief income comes from trade.
Three Trout Pond hides a sinkhole hundreds of yards deep. Darkspawn emerged from this and other caves to attack Crestwood during the Blight. The flood that wiped out Old Crestwood drowned the blighted ones, and the excess water created the pond we see today.
Tier 1 Common Herb
Tier 2 Common Herb
Notable items Edit
- Near the Memory of the Drowned landmark, in front of the wall with a painting, located on the northeast side of the village close to Sister Vaughn (from the fast travel marker head up the stairs and follow the path to the ruined structures).
- Amulet of Power
This amulet grants an ability point to whoever equips it. After it's used, the amulet shatters.
Gain an ability point when equipped
Single Use (Inquisitor only) – In the locked home; requires closing the rift in the Flooded Caves; see side quest Still Waters.
- Call of the Dark
"Lusacan, the Dragon of Night, calls to you. He lives where it is darkest and waits for the day he will rise. Drink of his blood and know the power in darkness: either fear the Night or wield it."
Requires: Level 17
+32 Damage vs. Living
Berserk: +20% damage bonus, +200% damage from all sources - Randomly available at the Village of Crestwood Merchant for000001648816488 .
- Malika's Guard
This crude yet distinctive amulet can be traced back to Regsith, a Dwarven warrior dating from the time of the original Darkspawn incursions against the Dwarven Empire.
+30% Front Defense
-50% Flanking Damage Bonus - Looted from within the locked house after sealing the rift in the Flooded Caves.
- The Dueling Blade
Many suspected Lord Kyril had his sword enchanted for his famous duel with the Verdant Knight—and that the knight (whose identity was never proven) said nothing. Kyril's victory led to cries of foul play, an assault on Tantervale in the Free Marches, and the disappearance of both Kyril and his blade, by assassins or because he fled to Ferelden and changed his identity.
Requires: Level 11
+13% Armor Penetration
+14% Critical Damage Bonus
+10% focus gain - Randomly available at the Village of Crestwood Merchant for0000000941941 .
Codex entries Edit
- Initial dialogues with the villagers will be different if Caer Bronach is taken before entering the village. One villager will remark that they were going to clear the keep and another will thank the Inquisitor.
- ↑ From Notable Fortresses, Castles, Towers, and Other Edifices of Interest in Fereldan, by Henry Lannon; excerpt from Codex entry: Caer Bronach
- ↑ From the diary of a traveler from Val Chevin, dated three months before the start of the Fifth Blight; excerpt from Codex entry: Crestwood
- ↑ From the memoirs of Sister Vaughn of Crestwood; excerpt from Codex entry: Caer Bronach