City Elf Origin
Before the player character's wedding, Vaughan comes to the Alienage with his lackeys to prey on the elven women. While he is speaking to the player, Shianni knocks him out with a bottle. Vaughan later returns with armed guards during the wedding ceremony and kidnaps the brides (including the player character, if female) and the bridesmaids.
When the player comes to rescue the women, Vaughan tries to talk himself out of a fight by offering a 40 bribe to the player if they leave, with the women being returned to the Alienage the next morning. If the player rejects this deal, they must fight and kill Vaughan and his lackeys, Braden and Jonaley. No matter how quickly the player fights their way through the Arl's estate to reach Vaughan's room, they cannot prevent Shianni from having been hurt by the time they arrive.
Rescue the Queen
If Vaughan is alive, he will be met (for a second time if playing as a City Elf who took his deal) in Howe's dungeon in Denerim. At this point in the game, Vaughan is a prisoner of Arl Howe, who officially came to Denerim in the wake of the Battle of Ostagar, which claimed the life of Vaughan's father, Arl Urien, to reinforce the garrison. Unofficially, Howe quickly locked Vaughan in the dungeons of his own palace and usurped his position as Arl of Denerim, planning on having Vaughan become "one more victim of the elven uprising." He begs for his life, offering in exchange his vote in the Landsmeet or the key to his locked chest, which contains 40.
LandsmeetVaughan can be seen during the Landsmeet if the Warden releases him from the prison in exchange of his vote.
The Darkspawn Chronicles
- "It's a party, isn't it? Grab a whore and have a good time!"
- "Let's take those two, the one in the tight dress, and... where's the bitch that bottled me?"
- (Referring to Shianni): Ooh, I'll enjoy taming her!... (turns to Nesiara, or, alternatively, a female Tabris): ...and see the pretty bride."
- "Ha! If you want to dress up your pets and have tea parties, that's your business, but don't pretend this is a proper wedding. Now we're here for a good time, aren't we boys?" (at the City Elf's wedding).
- One of the rumours that can be told to the Warden by Bodahn Feddic or the bartender of the Gnawed Noble Tavern is that Arl Urien was not killed at Ostagar, but was instead assassinated on his way there by Antivan Crows who were hired by Vaughan.
- Vaughan is mistakenly referred to as Vaughan Urien in the City Elf Origin.
- If Vaughan is not in the Landsmeet to support the Warden, he can still be seen in the chamber when the Warden will select their champion, even if he was killed in the past. However this time he will be wearing commoner clothing.
- pcxbox360Vaughan's lockbox will sometimes not be available to open even if you got the key from him, as of version 1.04. The cause appears to be leaving the dungeon before speaking to Vaughan, then going back and talking to him. The only known way to avoid this glitch is to remember not to leave the dungeon before getting the key.