- “You can't do this to me! I'll have you all flayed! I'm the arl of Denerim!”
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Dragon Age: Origins
Before the City Elf Warden's wedding, Vaughan comes to the Alienage with his lackeys to prey on the elven women. While he is speaking to the Warden, Shianni knocks him out with a bottle. Vaughan later returns with armed guards during the wedding ceremony and kidnaps the brides (including the player character, if female) and the bridesmaids.
When The Warden comes to rescue the women, Vaughan will be found standing over Shianni but tries to talk himself out of a fight by offering a 40 bribe to the player if they leave, with the women being returned to the Alienage the next morning. If the player rejects this deal, they must fight and kill Vaughan and his lackeys, Braden and Jonaley. If the player accepts the deal, Vaughan will send soldiers to the Alienage to arrest both the Warden and Soris regardless.
If Vaughan is alive, he will be met (for a second time if playing as a City Elf who took his deal) in the Arl of Denerim's Estate - Dungeon. Vaughan has been imprisoned by Arl Howe, who officially came to Denerim in the wake of the Battle of Ostagar, which claimed the life of Vaughan's father, Arl Urien, to reinforce the garrison. Unofficially, Howe quickly locked Vaughan in the dungeons of his own palace and usurped his position as Arl of Denerim, announcing that Vaughan had tragically become "one more victim of the elven uprising." He begs for his life, offering in exchange his vote in the Landsmeet or the key to his locked chest, which contains 40. With high enough Coercion it is possible to convince Vaughan to give you the key to his locked chest without releasing him from his cell. Vaughan may then be freed, left in his cell or killed.
- "It's a party, isn't it? Grab a whore and have a good time!"
- (Referring to Shianni): Ooh, I'll enjoy taming her!... (turns to Nesiara, or, alternatively, a female Tabris): ...and see the pretty bride."
- "Ha! If you want to dress up your pets and have tea parties, that's your business, but don't pretend this is a proper wedding. Now we're here for a good time, aren't we boys?" (at the City Elf's wedding).
- "Get back here you knife-eared whore!" (to a female elven Warden)
- "The Warden! I'm with The Warden!" (if restored to his position of power during The Landsmeet)
- One of the rumours that can be told to the Warden by Bodahn Feddic or the bartender of the Gnawed Noble Tavern is that Arl Urien was not killed at Ostagar, but was instead assassinated on his way there by Antivan Crows who were hired by Vaughan.
- Vaughan is mistakenly referred to as Vaughan Urien in the City Elf Origin by Braden.
- If Vaughan is not in the Landsmeet to support the Warden, he can still be seen in the chamber when the Warden will select their champion, even if he was killed in the past. However this time he will be wearing commoner clothing.
- pcxbox360Vaughan's lockbox will sometimes not be available to open even if you got the key from him, as of version 1.04. The cause appears to be leaving the dungeon before speaking to Vaughan, then going back and talking to him. The only known way to avoid this glitch is to remember not to leave the dungeon before getting the key.