Val Royeaux is the capital city of Orlais, and home to the Andrastian Chantry. It lies on the northern coast of the far inland tip of the Waking Sea. It is one of the largest cities in Thedas. The city's residents refer to themselves as "Royans."
Val Royeaux is not only the secular capital, but also the capital of the Chantry, the seat of the Divine being situated at the Grand Cathedral of Val Royeaux. Inside the Cathedral, members of the Chantry perform a ritual where the entire Chant of Light is sung, a process thought to take about a fortnight to complete. From the White Spire, the Knight-Vigilant of the templars directs the Order.
The city can be entered through two different gates—the imposing Sun Gates made of steel covered with golden façade, and the more modest Night Gate. In times of crisis, the entrances are sealed. During the Dragon Age, the city was closed off at least twice—in 9:22 when dragons attacked the Grand Cathedral, and then in 9:40 as the Orlesian Civil War began.
Val Royeaux is home to the University of Orlais, a major center of learning that attracts young nobles from all over Thedas with the best education money can buy. It is a relatively modern institution whose liberal-minded professors have already clashed with religious conservatives over the content of their classes.
Val Royeaux is also where aging templars retire to when they can no longer adequately perform their services due to mental deterioration caused by long-term lyrium dependency.
The Inquisitor may visit Val Royeaux anytime after speaking with Giselle in the Hinterlands during The Threat Remains and obtaining 4 Power. They go there in order to talk to the remaining Chantry mothers regarding their accusations and hoping that at least some of them will grow doubtful of the Chantry's claims about the newly formed Inquisition. After Revered Mother Hevara publicly denounces the Inquisition and declares its followers heretics, Lord Seeker Lucius interrupts her speech and one of the Templars under his command knocks her out. He mocks the Chantry mothers and dismisses any idea of allying with the Inquisition before leading all Templar forces out of the city, claiming it is not worthy of their protection.
Following this incident, the Inquisitor receives an official invitation by Imperial enchanter Vivienne to attend a party at the Duke Ghislain's estate, as well as instructions to meet Friends of Red Jenny member Sera in a secluded courtyard. Upon leaving the city, Grand Enchanter Fiona approaches the Inquisitor, explaining her rebel mages might be open to an alliance, if the Inquisitor comes to Redcliffe Village to negotiate.The Inquisitor has no more official business in Val Royaeux, but may visit the capital again for shopping or on business related to or on behalf of their inner circle.
- The Academie des Chevaliers
- Avenue of the Sun
- Belle Marché
- Boisvert Mansion
- Grand Cathedral
- Grande Royeaux Theater
- Headquarters for the Seekers of Truth
- The Imperial Palace
- Lady Sennova's Manor
- The Night Gate
- Secluded Courtyard
- Summer Bazaar
- The Sun Gates
- Sweetsong Brandy Parlour
- University of Orlais
- Val Royeaux Prison
- Vicinius's Home
- White Spire
- Adorno Ciel Otranto (conditional)
- Alphonse (conditional)
- Sister Andrea
- Sister Antoinette
- Bellise (conditional)
- Blackwall (conditional)
- Grand Enchanter Fiona
- Revered Mother Hevara
- Lynette Dionne (conditional)
- Minstrel Maryden
- Skyhold Customization Merchant
- Val Royeaux Expensive Merchant
- Val Royeaux Schematics Merchant
- Val Royeaux Weapons & Upgrades Merchant
- Vicinius (conditional)
- A Friend of Red Jenny
- Heraldry from a Herald
- The Imperial Enchanter
- The Magister's Birthright
- Of Somewhat Fallen Fortune
- The Threat Remains
- Under Her Skin
- An Unexpected Engagement
- - available at the Skyhold Customization Merchant for 356 if the Herb Garden major upgrade was selected in Skyhold.
- - available at the Skyhold Customization Merchant for 356 if the Templar Tower major upgrade was selected in Skyhold.
- - available at the Skyhold Customization Merchant for 356 if the Mage Tower major upgrade was selected in Skyhold.
- Three Little Empresses - obtained from a note attached to the bunk beds found inside the Skyhold Customization Merchant's store located on the Main Level.
- She of the Highwaymen Repents - acquired from the note nailed to the gallows.
The following songs can be heard near Le Masque du Lion Café:
- "Empress of Fire"
- "I Am The One"
- "Nightingale's Eyes"
- "Oh, Grey Warden"
- "Once We Were"
- "Samson's Tale"
- "Sera Was Never"
- Codex entry: The Avenue of Her Reflective Thought
- Codex entry: The Folly of General Not-Sheritan (part 3)
- Codex entry: The Head of Madame Snappy-Snips
- Codex entry: La Pomme Vie et Morte
- Codex entry: The Lover's Alcove
- Codex entry: Miroir de la Mère, Reville's Folly
- Codex entry: The Mystery and Meaning of Eight Silks
- Codex entry: Not of Heroes: The Death of Diversity
- Codex entry: Not of Heroes: Division and Distance
- Codex entry: Not of Heroes: Maferath and Sacrifice
- Codex entry: Not of Heroes: United in Hatred
- Codex entry: The Randy Dowager Quarterly (Spring, Winter & New Year)
- Codex entry: A Season of the Four Afoul
- Codex entry: She of the Highwaymen Repents
- Codex entry: The Summer Bazaar
- Codex entry: Val Royeaux
Le Masque du Lion Café
- Codex entry: "Empress of Fire"
- Codex entry: "Enchanters"
- Codex entry: "I Am The One"
- Codex entry: "Maker"
- Codex entry: "Nightingale's Eyes"
- Codex entry: "Oh, Grey Warden"
- Codex entry: "Once We Were"
- Codex entry: "Rise"
- Codex entry: "Samson's Tale"
- Codex entry: "Sera Was Never"
- Academic Notes (conditional)
- The Emporium of Mortal Means
- Grace of the Empire
- Longing and the Upper Court
- Pillars of Her Everlasting Flame
- The Summer Home of Messere Glubs
- Victory and Shade
- The Waiting Alcove
- Although the upper market is divided into four quarters, the southeast quarter does not have a fast travel door and is thus unreachable.
- "Interactive Map of Thedas". GameInformer. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition load screen card.
- Dragon Age: Asunder, p. 288
- Codex Entry: Alienage Culture
- Dragon Age: The Masked Empire, Chapter 2
- A major thoroughfare.
- A bustling marketplace.
- Dragon Age: Asunder, p. 236
- The Empire's most renowned theater.
- Dragon Age: The Masked Empire, p. 106
- A less imposing entrance to Val Royeaux.
- Impressive entrances into the city; made of steel and covered in a golden facade depicting the rise of Emperor Kordillus Drakon and said to blind an attacking army in full daylight.
- A popular tavern among the Orlesian Nobility.