|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
Start: April 01, 2013
End: June 30, 2013
Looking forward to talking to you Edit
- Missed you already :) If you don't have the time for the chat, I'll be on Skype the usual time. -Algol- (talk) 11:50, April 2, 2013 (UTC)
- You can't access it right now, or you won't be able to access it later during the evening/night?
- Btw I can't access Skype from work either. Or to be more precise, I shouldn't XD
- Maybe you just visit the chat, pretty please with sugar on top?
Leliana's Song Edit
- Sure, though if you noticed it's far ahead in my "to do" list, which means I won't be able to do it any time soon. Great work though! ;-) 10:00, April 2, 2013 (UTC)
Personal about EVIL Edit
I didn't know you from that side you shown on forum about evil character. I'm surprised and a bit afraid of you. I'm not goodie two shoes. I'm not binary, I closer to see world in shades of grey, but that's not the same. My morality is more complex, it has many parameters, that more comples than shades of grey. Those parameters are many variables - effects, opinions, effort, money, brutality, etc. In that case I'm ready to maniplute my foes to win like I manipulated Kolgrim, I used him and killed in the end. However I don't like doing evil, because I have conscience and see killing the defenseless soldier in Kolkari Wilds as unnecessary evil. I had nothing against smuggling Rogek's lyrium to Godwin to have some profit. Alstair called Godwin a bad guy, but I see only a clever businessman. Maybe I'm softy or I simply have a moral compass.126.96.36.199 (talk) 11:04, April 2, 2013 (UTC)Just call me Dalish fan
- You are a bit afraid of me because a character of mine in a video game is evil? I don't understand the logic behind this.. 12:15, April 2, 2013 (UTC)
Just checking :) Edit
Thanks for the congrats! Edit
Thanks, Vikky! It feels good to have made a contribution to the wiki with my 500 edits so far! :-)
I will comment on the topic you raised as well--you have excellent ideas! Let me see if I can come up with any ideas in addition to the ones you and others have suggested...
A matter of outmost importance Edit
- Hey, sure. Please reply in your talk page though (when I send you a message), I won't miss it! 11:51, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
Pictures continued Edit
Studded Helmet Enjoy:)
Spec as Category Edit
Blood mages, Reaver and templars are not only specializations but also classes. In games new specializations appear and some are gone, that means some are not canon. We meet some bards in DAO, but in DA2 are none, Varric's spec is an unofficial variation of Bard, when Merrill's one is an official variation of blood mage. By this logic Sebastian is a shadow, Fenris a spirit warrior and Isabela a duelist.
Classes, who appeared in all games were berserker, templar, blood mage, reaver, spirit healer, duelist and assassin, when the shadow was in all games but DAO.
Legionaire scout and keeper a plot/character spec, they appear only in DAA. Shadow and Guradian appear in DAA and DA2, but the letter case isn't the same, its character spec. The former seems to be heard about in Ferelden for not long time. By same logic we can speculate in Kirkwall not many heard about the bards, spirit warriors, rangers, arcane warriors or champ
Only templar and blood mage have influence on plot, assassin sounds like a job than class, Tallis is called a qunari assassin, when her Infiltrator spec is rogue version of templar.
My point is I think specializations need to be more "stabile" to be categories, so I doubt in making classes categories as a good idea. I think about it since the Reaver was made a category.188.8.131.52 (talk) 16:27, April 5, 2013 (UTC) Just call me Dalish fan
- "Blood mages, Reaver and templars are not only specializations but also classes."
- You have some good points but up until now the gameplay precedent dictates that there are 3 in-game classes. We cannot change this and consider the blood mage as a distinct class from the mage, for example. The fact that a specialization gets a category is different and it is mostly based on the fact that several specializations have lore value in addition to their gameplay value (see blood mages, reavers and templars compared to guardians, battlemages and shadows). 16:39, April 5, 2013 (UTC)
- I didn't know these were your points, probably because I understood that you wanted something different. I am still in the process of working on the pages so if you would like you can check the result in the end of the day :-) (as this will take some time to complete it..) 12:36, April 21, 2013 (UTC)
Tranquility as a class Edit
We know the tranquils were mages before they became tranquil. I won't discuss if it's right or wrong, no, my topic is different. In game are only 3 classes. Tranquil are still mages but their powers are blocked, same for warrior with taken sword. No tranquil ever fought, because noone was trained in martial arts. Tranquil is also no title, but a state of mind, the tranquils have jobs like emissary, merchant, asistant, warehouse keepers or weapon ugrader (like Sandal). I made this message because you edited Elsa'a page lastly.
- They are former mages (except if you believe that they can still cast spells) so I made the right amendments to each tranquil page. Their title remains as "Tranquil" however, as this is their current function, role and purpose.
- Please next time when you wish to revert a precedent and you see someone or more to disagree with you, use the talk page to discuss it appropriately. Edit war does not help. Furthermore, don't leave messages in the pages even if it's vandalism. All messages should go to talk pages.
- I don't get what you say about Bownammar, it fell lots of years before Endrin or Harrowmont were born. 11:08, April 6, 2013 (UTC)
- Check this codex entry. Bownammar was lost to the living long ago meaning that it wasn't a sounding defeat for the dwarves but something expected in their losing war against the darkspawn. 14:44, April 6, 2013 (UTC)
Dwarf Image Edit
I'm sorry for the belated reply. That's fine about using a non-tattooed noble dwarf for the imagery. I added the tattoo to demonstrate the differences between casteless brands and noble tattoos (and because that's my favorite dwarf noble tattoo). But we don't see any nobles with tattoos so using a different image is just fine with me.
I hope all's well for you! I like your Daenerys avatar, by the way.
- Hi again Vikky,
- You're right about the image--I didn't explain myself well in the message above. I added the image to demonstrate a standard noble and casteless and added the noble tattoo secondarily to show the difference between noble and casteless tattoos. But the noble tattoo doesn't make sense since the Dwarf Noble is the only one who has/can have a tattoo.
- I can redo the image for you if you want. I Photoshopped the images of the two dwarves together so I don't mind redoing it that way if you'd like.
- And I see your response on the thread on updating the main page! Let me look at it more closely and I'll reply.
- Take care!
Living and extinct Edit
Hmm, this one is tricky. I went back and looked at the dialog with Janar and Dagna and I think--though it is not completely clear--that Janar is Janar's first name and not his surname.
Dagna says that she is the "daughter of Janar of the Smith Caste." Janar says, as you mentioned, "Janar Family Armorers" but he is listed as "Janar." I think that the shop name is meant to be interpreted more as the armory of Janar's family rather than the armory of the Janar family. So I think Janar is his first name--it's just used in place of a surname in the name of his shop.
I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me. It's a pity as it would have been an opportunity to give another named Smith house.
- That sounds good, Vikky. I wish I knew more about the toolset to uncover things like that. I used to be pretty good with the toolset for Neverwinter Nights 2, for example, but I've never delved into toolsets since then.
- At my university the finals begin at the end of April, which always seems very early to me.
- Take care!
- Best, Jen LadyAeducan (talk) 00:18, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
I was able to add just a little to the Berserker page--I wish I had more information to help you with this one. I did find a nifty image from the berserker listing in my tabletop guide and added it. Let me know if it's okay with you. Great work on the page!
I am very excited to get my copy of the lore book. It could arrive next week! I hope yours has already arrived or will soon!
- I'm glad you liked the image! I will make a list of useful images I have in the tabletop guides--I have the first and second set and the Blood in Ferelden expansion. Lots of handy images! If I can locate ones that seem useful online I will, otherwise I may have to scan some from the books themselves. I had never thought to pull imagery from the books until working on the Berserker page, but it's a great resource for images as well as lore.
- Have a great night! Talk to you soon!
- Jen LadyAeducan (talk) 00:54, April 22, 2013 (UTC)
- I haven't played Dragon Age II for a year now, so I cannot answer that with certainty. But I'll ask around. 08:08, April 22, 2013 (UTC)
Not end of spec case yet Edit
I started a new topic on forum Forum:Variations of specializations. Companions in DAO and DAA games with normal specialization and teammates in DA2 with unique specializations bothered me since release of DA2. It's same problem like creature variations. If you're tired or not interested, you don't have to involve.184.108.40.206 (talk) 16:24, April 21, 2013 (UTC) Just call me Dalish fan
Bann Vaughan Edit
I've been trying unsuccessfully to catch you on IRC to say hi and I'll keep trying but I thought I'd send a quick hello in the meantime.
I haven't compiled that list of images yet, but I will--I noticed WardenWade working with the images too and will get with them. The arrival of The World of Thedas distracted me a bit. I've been migrating the dwarven information from the book to relevant pages, as you suggested. I am looking forward to your receiving your copy--there is a lot of material on dwarves and also a lot of tantalizing implications, in my opinion, especially regarding Kal-Sharok. Lots of food for thought! I'd like to hear what you think of it all when you get your copy!
I hope all is going well for you!
Maric in Fade Edit
I'm wondering why you thought my trivia about Maric was from a 3rd-party mod. It's information from the toolset, which only contains information from the DA team about the unmodded game (it doesn't even include DLC). The plot was originally planned, but not implemented, which I thought made it perfect for the trivia section. I've made other edits like this, which I thought were relevant and added information for players that they wouldn't otherwise get. -Sophia (talk) 13:03, May 1, 2013 (UTC)
Can you link me to where it is explained when it is notable enough to have both appearances mentioned and physical ones on a character's page? :) As it was me who removed the games from Maric because he doesn't actually appear and I thought it was just a waste. :) Henio0 (talk) 15:07, May 1, 2013 (UTC)
- I do not have one link but actually many. If a character is mentioned, but not appear in a specific DLC, comic, movie or game then it is mentioned in the appearances section. So for consistency reasons I restored that Maric is mentioned in DAO, TSG, TWS. But I'm curious. Are you against of such practice? Remember that it is still imperative for historical characters such as King Calenhad. 09:11, May 2, 2013 (UTC)
- I'm rather indifferent. I thought it might work in a way that if a character is mentioned, but doesn't appear, we list the appearance as (mentioned only), but when the character actually physically appears, it overrides all the unphysical appearances. I think we could use a separate section in the table for when a character is only mentioned, but doesn't appear. It would solve the issue. What do you think? Henio0 (talk) 12:09, May 2, 2013 (UTC)
Codex entry: King Endrin Aeducan Edit
Invite for discussion Edit
- I made a topic on page about DA2 companions. I think pics of classes and symbols of romance options should be images from DA2 like symbols of their specializations already are. I invate you for discussion about this.220.127.116.11 (talk) 14:58, May 5, 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah, I've noticed it though I should admit I didn't understand what you proposed. Could you make an edit to show what you mean and then reverse it? 15:05, May 5, 2013 (UTC)
I just wanted to say hi--and to let you know I'm still alive! :-) I've been on IRC intermittently and haven't been able to catch you to say hi, so I thought I'd leave a message. I hope you're doing well and that your copy of The World of Thedas has arrived. Hopefully your classes aren't keeping you too busy.
Invitation to new topics Edit
I edited page of Companions (Dragon Age II) as I wanted without discussion because my invitations were all ignored. I had enough of being ignored, so I impelented changes myself and now I wait for opinions. I wish to know you opinion about it.18.104.22.168 (talk) 17:48, May 12, 2013 (UTC)Just call me Dalish fan.
- Dalish fan, university exams are closing and I do not have much time to spend on the wiki. You can see that by the small number of my contributions the last weeks. So please don't claim that you are being ignored. This wiki has a very small number of regular editors so it happens many times to me as well that noone manages/bothers to participate in a discussion I bring up. Then, like you just did, I go ahead and make the changes myself. A number of opinions is always good, but when you cannot have it, you simply have to do it yourself ;-) 11:56, May 13, 2013 (UTC)
- You know, people usually study before the exam period. At any rate, I do not think I should explain myself why I did not reply within the next few hours or days. When you send me a message you should expect that a reply might not be immediate. If you feel offended by that, oh well, you can simply stop sending me invitations, I guess. 15:10, May 14, 2013 (UTC)
Unnamed topic #1 Edit
Hey, hilariously enough, I discovered the printer my family uses does have a scanner option, so if you need me to do those photos, I can. Let me know if you need em.
Game Guide app Edit
Hi, Viktoria Landers :) I'm more than happy to discuss the app with you!
For the epilogue page I added to Guides, I added it after I noticed that all the other epilogue pages were also categorized as such. At least for purposes of the app this is fine, as the Guides category was included, which meant I didn't need to make a separate category page for them.
For the Romance category page, I added it because I wasn't adding the Gameplay category page per se. Sometimes I can add a whole category, given how things fit into it and are displayed; sometimes I have to tease apart the elements of a category and present them separately. This is usually due to a category page being too gigantic, having too many empty categories, or if categories are already presented somewhere else. IIRC, some of the elements of the Gameplay cat were presented elsewhere (making them redundant to include again), so I had to tease apart the Romance category into its own page.
Unnamed topic #2 Edit
Recent Marlowe Dumar edit.
Apologies for that, I thought the text was referring to Hawke, as in, 'Taking his/her place as the Viscount of Kirkwall'.
- Patrol the wiki on a regular basis as well as show that you can be trusted and I'm sure an admin will give you that right or another member will nominate you instead. I do have rollback rights but I am not an admin in order to speak on their behalf. So if you want to know more about it, you might want to speak directly to them ;-) 11:29, May 20, 2013 (UTC)
Hi there - Yes, I have read the comics (in my opinion they were subpar, but as I will be one of those forever DA fans, I can forgive). Thanks for the welcome and offer of pointing me somewhere - I've mostly stuck to the TES wiki, but I figure branching out might be nice since it's not all I play, you know? Let me know where you want me to go and we'll get something going. Oh, and thanks for the welcome :] Akabetty (talk) 17:06, May 20, 2013 (UTC)
World of Thedas Edit
I scanned the image of Endrin Stonehammer--and a lot of other stuff! I'm slowly adding some imagery from World of Thedas as well as from the tabletop books to the wiki. I enlisted the help of wiki contributors WardenWade and Circle Mage to post some of the images too. It's coming along pretty well. These are only a fraction of the images in the books! :-)
I found a little more information on Kal-Sharok in one of my tabletop books which I plan to add too.
I hope all is well for you!
Using a SandboxEdit
The article you linked on my Talk page looked like a spot where one would try out new changes they have to an existing page, so as not to break a template or to catch grammar errors or something. I did not find out how I could have pages that would not interfere with the main wiki. I have an idea of using User:Meh92/PageNotForMainWiki. would this work? would it work with templates? —Preceding unsigned comment added by Meh92 (talk • contribs) 08:04, May 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Yes it will work. However moving pages was a bad idea as they left redirects behind which need to be deleted. And only an admin can do that. Also please sign your messages by typing four tildes (~~~~). 00:10, May 27, 2013 (UTC)
Hey Viktoria Landers, looks like the request to give him rollback was lost in the hustle and bustle of things. I've gone ahead and approved rollback rights as he seems like he's on the right track. Thanks for reminding me. -- 11:21, June 5, 2013 (UTC)
Thank you! Edit
Viktoria, thank you for removing the vandalism from my page the other day. I appreciate your catching it! I apologize for not thanking you sooner. Thanks again! Circle Mage (talk) 00:45, June 19, 2013 (UTC)
new category Edit
Queen of the Blackmarsh, Ethereal golem and Possesed Ogre Commander are spirits mockering a dragon, a golem and an ogre. I consider making a new category with working name "Spiritual Impostors". Before I do it I wish to learn opinion of others, you're one of them.22.214.171.124 (talk) 10:14, June 21, 2013 (UTC)
- These are all shades. In addition, the disciple spirits inside the temple where the Urn of Andraste is found as well as Cole are shades too. It is in my plans to make the necessary changes this weekend, so feel free to check them out ;-) 13:44, June 21, 2013 (UTC)
Game name in italics Edit
- Yes, but this is a matter of consistency vs a general rule on what to do about titles. And I think consistency is sometimes a "stronger rule". Anyway, I think if we're gonna revert that consistency in the items of Origins, to do it in an organized manner, meaning that we can use that chance to add several more things in these pages which they currently lack. 13:44, June 21, 2013 (UTC)
Hard to say, it could be a fall project instead. Back to the original question, I finally got a dump of all wiki pages and searched for "in ''[[Dragon Age: Origins]]''" (with italics) – 848 instances and "in [[Dragon Age: Origins]]" (without) – 644. For DA2 it's 1671 vs 119. Note that it includes all mainspace articles, not only items. I'm hoping to start italicizing things this weekend. – mostlyautumn • talk • contribs • 09:04, June 26, 2013 (UTC)
Shades of grey Edit
p. vs pg. Edit
Hey again! As much as I dislike being a grammar nazi, I wanted to say that "page" should be preferably abbreviated as "p." (single) or "pp." (multiple) and not "pg." It is the style most commonly used in the wikipedia and elsewhere. *runs away in shame* – mostlyautumn • talk • contribs • 12:39, June 23, 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for noticing it. I chose "pg." as it was a style which was followed in many references so because of consistency I turned the others into that form as well. However there is hope! See the topics I opened up here. 16:07, June 24, 2013 (UTC)
Unnamed topic #3 Edit
- Hey Naghin! See here: Help:Signature 16:07, June 24, 2013 (UTC)
I archived everything because I could no longer find what I was looking for in that large mess of text. What was the topic in question? --20:03, June 24, 2013 (UTC)
Hello, Vikky! Edit
Hi Vikky, it was great to get your message. It has been a while and I've missed talking with you too! I'll drop in to IRC this week some time to chat. I was looking at the Raiders of the Waking Sea article and it does need some work. I'm happy to work on it. I don't have the comic but I have WoT, so I'll see what I can locate there to polish the page. I can also find some imagery from the comic online, I'm sure. I hope you've been well! I will talk with you soon! Best, Jen LadyAeducan (talk) 00:56, June 26, 2013 (UTC)
Dat hush hush thang, innit Edit
Pssst, check this here:
It's a quick prototype I've made. A few easily spottable things to be corrected, but the layout's most important now. Is something like that fine? What kind of font are going for the PROJECT AEDUCIAN 2.0? Summer style, or Matrix-like, like it's reload or whatevs? :)
- I'm still receiving feedback. Will let you know when that hush hush thang is ready for evaluation! ;-) 15:15, June 27, 2013 (UTC)
I'm on IRC... Edit
Ayudame/Help me Edit
Hi, I am Ordinary Soldier, call me however you want... I am working in the Dragon Age Wiki in Spanish, actually, maybe I am the only one. So, I need help to create that wiki, I am not asking you to create pages in that wiki, but perhaps you can help me to find answers to my questions. I am really love this game and I really apreciate your help...
- Hola! I'm not sure how I can be of service.. I've never created a wiki myself and advanced wiki coding was never my thing. I also do not speak Spanish.. Can you elaborate what do you need from me? :-) However, as far as I know, the first steps in creating a wiki are very simple (wikia ensures of that). Oh and don't forget to sign your posts! 10:42, June 30, 2013 (UTC)
Don't worry, as I said you don't need created pages in that wiki or know spanish, The only advantage that We/I have is that we don't need search for information all the time (almost never), cause the information is here in this wiki, the only thing that We/I do is translate the information... but some times We/I cannot understand what people want to said, one example of this is the page of Dragon Age Origins - Awakening in companions, the Description of Oghren said:
Oghren is involved regardless of the Warden's choices. He will start at 0 approval regardless of his interactions with the Warden in Origins, and gifts given to him in Awakening continue to receive diminishing returns if the Warden has given him gifts in Origins.
I understand: Oghren is involved regardless of the Warden's choices. He will start at 0 approval regardless of his interactions with the Warden in Origins
I don't understand: and gifts given to him in Awakening continue to receive diminishing returns if the Warden has given him gifts in Origins.
when I read this I read that if you give gifts to Oghren, his approval is going to fall, that is contradictory. if you can explain me, I would be gratefull.
- Remember that the normal gifts for a companion generate +5, then +4, etc etc as diminishing returns? Well, when you import a save from Origins, the game will remember how many gifts you gave to Oghren, so if you gave him 3 and then you try in Awakening to give him a standard one (which generates +5), he will only take +2 instead. Anyway, you can always try to ask that in the talk page in case I'm busy to reply back, etc ;-) 17:28, July 3, 2013 (UTC)
Default settings for spoilers Edit
Hi Vik, the community has decided in the past that after a certain period of time, spoilers would "expire" and they would be set to "show" as a default. It has required a rewrite to support such a feature, but we are ready for that now. I know you have a good sense of what the community wants, so could you see how far back we want to start disabling spoilers by default? --11:51, June 30, 2013 (UTC)
- I feel that most random visitors (who as you well know are the absolute majority of the total visitors) who visit an Origins page and read the walkthroughs, etc are people who are new to Dragon Age or at least to Dragon Age: Origins. Fewer are those who have played both Origins and Dragon Age II and suddenly decided to feel the urge to play them again right from beginning and need the wiki to check up for something.
- So it is my belief that even the DAO spoiler has a use even after 4 years and subsequently I do not think any wiki spoiler should expire. If I recall right, the community's decision took place three years ago. However, if you feel strongly about that change with the spoilers, I think you should seek a new ruling from the community since the previous one took place so long ago. 12:14, June 30, 2013 (UTC)
- I think you misunderstand. The situation here is not whether or not there will be a spoiler tag for DAO, there will be. The intention is for us to turn them off by default. There are many reasons for this. The most important of which is whether people use this wiki as a reference after all this time, or whether they are going through the game for the first time. In my experience, older articles are used as references, and newer players do not typically expect spoilers.
- Secondly, we have pages like this. With spoilers turned on, they look extremely short and appear to be missing information. With spoilers turned off, it is much more of a full fledged article befitting a Wiki.
- Thirdly, as we transition more into a mobile space, I want our wiki to look cohesive across multiple platforms. When we do that, I feel that having as much information visibly available makes more sense. -- 10:18, July 1, 2013 (UTC)
qunari war Edit
- Unfortunately I have given the World of Thedas to a friend now. But I can help with the cats and linking the page around. Nice work! 14:29, June 30, 2013 (UTC)