Hi, welcome to the Dragon Age Wiki! Thanks for joining! I hope that you will stick around and continue to help us improve the wiki. Please leave a message on my talk page if I can help with anything! -- Loleil (Talk) 01:45, 26 January 2013
Quotes Final Wording Edit
Hey, I've written up the draft of the final wording for the quotation guidelines. Let me know if you can see anything you think should be added otherwise I'll add them to the guidelines now.
Quotation Guidelines Final Wording Draft:
- Looks good to me! Let me know when you get the guidelines updated and I'll get started. --Kelcat (talk) 23:37, May 1, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm wondering about the wording on the number of quotes part. Companions are allowed a maximum of 8 quotes, and 2 additional for any other installments. But they get 8 quotes for each installment they're a companion in, right? So Anders would theoretically get 8 for Awakening and 8 for DA2. Perhaps adding in some wording about characters who are companions in more than one game would be a good idea. --Kelcat (talk) 00:51, May 3, 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks!--Kelcat (talk) 03:31, May 6, 2014 (UTC)
- btw, have you read The Calling or The Masked Empire? I don't really know any of the characters in those books, so I'm not sure I'd be the best person to review those. Fiona's got 7 right now, and I don't really know enough about her to choose which ones represent her best. --Kelcat (talk) 04:35, May 6, 2014 (UTC)
Hey do you think the De Montfort family page is worth keeping? I am not entirely convinced it contributes anything unique. All the other family articles, Theirin, Guerrin etc all at least offer a full summation of the family's involvement. Montfort just repeats Prosper's article and has the family crest. If that's all it has to offer I say delete it and put the family crest on Prosper and or Cyril's page.- 07:32, May 23, 2014 (UTC)
- Hm, I'm kind of torn on the De Montfort family. On the one hand, there are several family members that we know about, but on the other, the article is just a plot summary, with little known info about the ancestors. Looks like Prosper de Montfort is mentioned in the Masked Empire, so maybe a bit of that info can be moved over there, too .For De Chalons, I haven't read Masked Empire, so I can't really form an opinion about whether it's noteworth enough. Though the article as it stands is a mess. --Kelcat (talk) 23:30, May 24, 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, when I think of what a family article should be, I always picture something more the Theirin page. The Montfort family page is just a summation of the events of Mark of the Assassin. I could re-write the article so it's less horrendous no problem if I am being honest but I am still on the fence about whether it should be deleted or not. I've always thought that a family page like that should contribute something unique which individual character pages don't even if that's at least just a decent summary like the Harriman page. Well I'll vote for deletion if you think that's the best way to go otherwise I'll just try and fix it. - 06:21, May 25, 2014 (UTC)
- I think for the time being, improving on the article would be a better option than deleting it, but that’s just my opinion. I think it might be worth discussing notability guidelines for family articles at some point; unfortunately forums about actual wiki stuff are largely being ignored right now, so I’m not sure if it’s worth the frustration. --Kelcat (talk) 00:03, May 29, 2014 (UTC)
Quotes Update Edit
- Should be all done. I went through all the characters in the "Characters" category. --Kelcat (talk) 05:38, June 1, 2014 (UTC)
- Oh great, I thought you were doing all the DA:O characters then DA2. Well glad to know it's done then. Good work!
Hey, you undid my revision and I understand the logic. So I'm not sure if I'm talking to the right person, but what about using tabber? That way the gallery wouldn't look so full and you can categorize the pictures by each game. -- Altaïr 04:09, July 5, 2014 (UTC)
- Hey there! I know gallery tabs are used on main game articles like Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I don't know about character articles. You may want to contact User:King Cousland. He's an admin and fairly knowledgable about images. --Kelcat (talk) 04:20, July 5, 2014 (UTC)
- Okay, thx for the advice. I might just do that. Then again if it wasn't done for characters in the first place, then the people managing this wiki probably had there reasons.-- Altaïr 06:35, July 5, 2014 (UTC)
Anora and Alistair. Edit
- It's not a problem! The Human Noble female can marry Alistair and become queen. You can see here for more info. --Kelcat (talk) 02:39, August 6, 2014 (UTC)
Hi! I've noticed you've made a few changes to redirects which might be based on this addition to the guidelines, so I'm hoping you might know where the discussion that led to that amendment took place. Any ideas? Loleil Talk 03:24, August 7, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm not exactly sure, to be honest! I've always assumed that redirects should be edited to the correct article name (like disambiguations), and I'm pretty sure I got that idea from seeing edit summaries from others. I'm not sure where that addition to the guidelines came from, I only remember the discussion about redlinks. And I wasn't aware of the note about forums and user pages--I never touch those. --Kelcat (talk) 04:25, August 7, 2014 (UTC)
Tevinter appearance in DA:I Edit
Hey Kelcat! I was wondering where did you find out that Tevinter will be visited in DA:I. As far as I know the devs were negative in such thing. Perhaps did you mean that Tevinter will be referenced in DA:I? 18:57, August 18, 2014 (UTC)
- Which article are you referring to? I don’t see it listed in the appearances on Tevinter Imperium, and I can't remember adding it anywhere. I know I added Heroes of Dragon Age since there are a couple of heroes with “Tevinter” in their name. --Kelcat (talk) 23:33, August 18, 2014 (UTC)
HoDA Arcane Warrior Edit
Hi! I noticed you've added a lot of great images from HoDA. I don't have the game, but I noticed on the Arcane Warrior page that someone added a really low-quality image of a Tevinter Arcane Warrior (concept art?) from HoDA. Do you have this character, or do you know someone who might be able to provide a better image for the wiki? Thank you for your help and sorry to bother you! --Death by Cheese (talk) 08:58, August 19, 2014 (UTC)
- Absolutely! That screenshot looks like it's from the opening trailer, I'm surprised anyone was able to take even that clear of a screenshot. I'll upload an image of the actual hero to replace it. --Kelcat (talk) 23:31, August 19, 2014 (UTC)
Talk of Mods.. not allowed... except when it is? Edit
Okay, so when I mentioned how a mod could create a bug with the Gangue Shade quest, you reverted my edit because you don't allow talk of unofficial mods.. which I can accept, but then on that very same page is the following...
Note: PCusers who wish to acquire the (Dead Metal Bucket) per the game's script, use this mod.
So, why is mention of that mod that allows you to obtain a bugged item okay, but mention of a no helmet mod that causes the game to bug in this situation not? Is the mod required to get Dead Metal Bucket official?
- The guideline about mods can be found here. Basically what it boils down to is that mods that fix bugs in the game (such as how to add a helmet that should have been in the game but isn't, because the game is bugged) is fine to add per the guidelines. But any created mod has the ability to break a game in a variety of ways. Since these mods are unofficial, and they break the game rather than fixing it, they shouldn't be listed. Hope that helps. Kelcat (talk) 05:52, August 21, 2014 (UTC)
Mentors of the Inquisitor Edit
Hi there kelcat, i wanted to tell you that are mentors such as Blackwall who gives advices to the Inquisitor if he/she is a fighter, Cole gives info about the fade since he came from there and Varric is a storyteller and he will probably give a insight of what is going on with the people of Ferelden. Tesshu (talk) 02:52, August 31, 2014 (UTC)
- That's very true, but is there anything that specifically mentions that these three are special, and therefore different from the rest of the companions? Solas is said to be an expert on the Fade, so he could be considered a mentor in that regard, as well. Vivienne's a First Enchantor and has much knowledge of the Orlesian Imperial court, and the other companions could also potentially give information or advice to the Inquisitor, so I'm not entirely sure what sets the three that you mentioned apart from the others. Unless there is a source I'm not aware of that calls them all mentors. I also haven't seen anything specifically stating that Cole and Blackwall will not be romanceable. They probably won't, but I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere. --♫ Kelcat Talk 03:01, August 31, 2014 (UTC)
- There is only one more companion left to be confirmed as a romance, and it is very inplied to be Vivienne, since she is a "extravagant" sorcerer design and she will likely accept only a human Inquisitor. And the other companions, Blackwall seems to be too serious/focused on the civil war to engage in a romance, Varric has allready a lover, and Cole has a mind of a young boy if i am not mistaken. Tesshu (talk) 03:13, August 31, 2014 (UTC)
Just wanted to offer congratulations as well, Kelcat! Welcome to the team ;) 20:52, September 4, 2014 (UTC)
Video Links Edit
- You mean you need the url link to the video? Hover over the video and in the top right corner there will be a square with an arrow. Click on that and it will give you the url that you can copy and paste. --♫ Kelcat Talk 05:23, September 6, 2014 (UTC)
User images limit Edit
Hey Kelcat, I would like to inform you that a user has surpassed the limit on user images. 11:17, September 13, 2014 (UTC)
- My understanding is that the 10 image limit is in regards to user page images, and none of those are actually on his user page. Some aren't used on any page which, by guidelines, would be marked for deletion after 30 days, but the others are on forums and blogs. --♫ Kelcat Talk 02:30, September 14, 2014 (UTC)
A category Edit
Hey, not sure if the category I just made (Category:Dragon Age: Inquisition spells]) would get flagged for deletion, as it has nothing right now. I made it before checking if I can safely make a Spells (Inquisition) page, similarly how there are already Rogue talents (Inquisition) and Warrior talents (Inquisition). Just thought I'd ask if it'd get deleted until there's anything to put in it or could it stay as it is. -- 04:03, September 14, 2014 (UTC)
- I think it should be fine to keep. It conforms with the category names we use for Origins and DA2, so it'll definitely be used pretty soon. --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:26, September 14, 2014 (UTC)
- Actually, you can probably make a Spells (Inquisition) page now, too, if you want. A brief introductory paragraph could be cobbled together using the others we have, and just put a stub tag on it. --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:31, September 14, 2014 (UTC)
Input wanted Edit
Hey Kelcat. I would welcome some feedback on a couple of talk pages I am on the fence about. Some input from you and others would be welcome.
- Thank you & thank you.
Forum thread about Anora Edit
Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive, but every time that old thread "The Bitch Anora" is updated (can't imagine why someone would drag up a 4 year-old thread anyhow), I find the title really jarring. Free speech aside, I'm not really comfortable with calling Anora (or any character) a bitch in a thread title. I don't know, but I just think this place is better than that. And I think the thread's about to veer off now (they're talking about Anora being stripped, imprisoned and going mad--see, I think the title encourages people to be nasty), anyway. Could the topic be locked or renamed? --Death by Cheese (talk) 04:13, September 19, 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, I think it can be safely locked given how old it is. Thanks for letting me know! --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:24, September 19, 2014 (UTC)
Hey Kelcat! I noticed that you've deleted image(s) of late; could I ask that you check that the image isn't present in any article before deleting them in future. It's just that there is a deleted image in an article which I am unable to replace with the superseded file because I am unsure which image it is. -- (Sorry if that came across at all bossy, it's really not intended! Just a friendly request xD) Alexsau1991 (talk page) 02:16, September 21, 2014 (UTC)
- I generally do check to make sure they're not on an article first, must have overlooked it this time. I went ahead and restored the image, and I'll see if I can find what it's a duplicate of. Thanks for pointing it out, and no bossiness perceived ;) --♫ Kelcat Talk 02:29, September 21, 2014 (UTC)
Vandalism on Ostagar article Edit
Exactly what it says on the tin, some idiot vandalized the ostagar page. I've rolled it back already but I thought I should mention it so you can block the IP or what have you.
Genevieve - Heroes of Dragon Age Edit
Hello Kelcat, hope you're well. I know you play Heroes of Dragon Age & someone just tagged Genevieve with Heroes of Dragon Age characters. Can you confirm this please? - 07:44, September 25, 2014 (UTC)
- Yep. She's called "Grey Warden Genevieve". They just added a whole bunch of new characters over the last couple of days. --♫ Kelcat Talk 07:48, September 25, 2014 (UTC)
- Sweet, we should set up gallery sections on the articles for novel only characters then and add a HoDA screenshot for each of them.
- Ah damn do you need to purchase the rare characters? Damn it. Guess we'll just need to hope they slowly filter into the wiki then.
- Also for some reason every time I look at the Genevieve article, it says the article has no categories attached to it. I've tried clearing my cache and reloading my browser but I'm still getting it. Is this showing up for you too?
- The categories are showing up fine for me, but it looks like that may have been fixed not too long ago? Anyway, the rare legendaries don't "technically" cost money, usually. They're mostly available in Hero Packs which cost gems, which drop at a very low rate, so you inevitably have to buy lots of gems and hope that the character you want drops. (Why yes, I'm still bitter about spending $25 on packs one day and still not getting Nathaniel ) --♫ Kelcat Talk 00:10, September 26, 2014 (UTC)
Multiplayer Characters for Inquisition Edit
- Might be a good idea, given how many multiplayer characters there are going to be. --♫ Kelcat Talk 03:40, September 27, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm inclined to agree. Now that I think about it how does one actually make a new category?
- The way I always do it is to use "add category" at the bottom of the article. Type the new category in free-form, then click on that red link and create the category page (similar to creating a new article). After that you can add it like any other category. --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:31, September 28, 2014 (UTC)
Hey Kelcat, I'm trying to double check which country Ayesleigh belongs to, Antiva or Rivain. We've got it listed under Rivain but I can't find anything from the games or other materials to back it up. Do you have any leads? - 13:30, September 28, 2014 (UTC)
- Well, it looks like on the maps I can find it's halfway between the two, so it's hard to tell from that. I looked in World of Thedas and found a reference of Ayesleigh on p.64 in the section about Antiva, stating that in the Black Age King Dario Campana wed Asha Subira Bahadur, Gana of Ayesleigh. "Queen Asha, the daughter of wealthy merchants, wanted Antiva to hold a stronger position in Thedosian politics, and she achieved this by marrying off her children and grandchildren into royal and noble families across the continent."
- Makes me think that it's actually in Antiva, but I can't find anything more concrete. --♫ Kelcat Talk 01:39, September 29, 2014 (UTC)
Tevinter Imperium Heraldry Edit
Hey Kelcat, I'm trying to find a hi res version of the Tevinter heraldry but we only seem to have a low res small version. Do you know if we have one uploaded or where we could find a better quality image? - 15:27, September 28, 2014 (UTC)
Insulting Messages Edit
I don't want to complain but this random from the forums is going way too far.
- I’ve left a message on the user’s talk page, but I feel the need to address your behavior here, as well. You were clearly antagonizing the user in that forum post, going so far as to outright insult them. I strongly advise you to read our forum guidelines regarding conduct. Continued behavior like this may warrant a block. --♫ Kelcat Talk 20:46, September 29, 2014 (UTC)
Vengeance Anders Edit
Hi Kelcat, just letting you know I recently got Vengeance Anders in HoTA and have uploaded the image to the wiki. Noticed he was on your to do list, hope this helps you out. --Xsari (Talk) 00:10, September 30, 2014 (GMT)
Last Flight Spoiler Edit
I think we should change the text in the last flight spoiler. Every other spoiler tag we have is a quote from a character in the relevant installment, but last flight is just a disembodied decryption. If only for the sake of continuity I would suggest we alter it to an actual quotation by a character from the text. What do you think? - 04:05, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- I don't have a problem with that. Any suggestions? I've not read the book. --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:23, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- Several but I thought I should open it up to a wider forum than just my own personal opinion.
- "War is just politics with swords and we aim to win." - Amadis Vael
- "I don't get to run off and fight darkspawn everytime I want to" - Garahel
- "Let yourself be a hero for tonight, in the morning we'll just be Grey Wardens again." - Garahel
- "I always have doubts, but it's out of our hands, so no point worrying." - Isseya
- "By all means, one for the road." - Isseya
I think any of those would be suitable. Although I think the second one is my favourite, or the first or the fourth.
- I went ahead and created a forum topic since I know it doesn't work for you for some reason. I know we've got a few regulars who have finished the book and are contributing.
- Alas, I am a bit of a mess these days, what with some work and personal crises going on. It's nice having Dragon Age stuff and the Sims 4 to keep me somewhat sane! --♫ Kelcat Talk 05:49, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- Tremendous, thanks Kelcat. I really should try and figure out why I can't make new forum topics one of these days. But on the other hand I generally try to avoid the forums like the plague so its not much of an inconvenience except for occasional cases like this. Sorry to hear your life is a bit hectic! Hope things sort themselves out soon. At least sweet Dragon Age will still be here!
Insulting other users Edit
He/She started an argument in one of the threads on the forum being needlessly aggressive. I have the right to respond. In fact I had the courtesy to not pollute the forum any further and move this to his/her talk page.
While I do appreciate your concern about politeness and good manners towards other users (If you would read the thread you would see me mention such and such to him), the rules apply to everyone involved and if one of the parties decides to be rude, the affected has every right to respond with equal intensity.
Unless of course this wiki became a super moderated place sometime when I was not looking. But even in which case the reprimand should be issued to both users and not just me. And I don't see that happening. Diain (talk) 09:21, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- I adressed both of you; if you look a bit further up on my talk page where it was reported to me. I don't usually go out of my way to personally moderate forums, but if asked to look into an issue I will. I absolutely saw that your behavior began civilly in the forum until provoked, but as you said--the rules apply to everyone. That doesn't mean you get to be rude and insulting just because that's how you were treated. Everyone needs to be civil, and at this point I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming this isn't frequent behavior from you, and am just offering you a polite reminder. ♫ Kelcat Talk 09:50, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- I just saw it. I did not realize it was reported to you (and by him/her at that), thought you were being the overzealous overlord. My bad.
- Anyway, thank you for being fair. I'll do my best to not be baited in the future. I hope there are no hard feelings. Diain (talk) 10:11, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- I just saw it. I did not realize it was reported to you (and by him/her at that), thought you were being the overzealous overlord. My bad.
Pardon me for bothering you again but the same unregistered user is bothering me again. I don't want this to sound kindergarten-ish but had this been offline I would have asked him to mind his own business. Here I am limited to merely ignoring his comments and there's only so much ignoring I can do when he's trying to target me directly. I request that he be asked to refrain from commenting on any of my posts or else that I be given free reign to respond to him however I want. Diain (talk) 10:51, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
- For reference it is in this blog post's comments. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:CrackFoxJunior/Dragon_Age:_Origins_-_Now_Free! Diain (talk) 10:52, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
- I would also like to request that it be noted that Diain has resorted to editing his own comments to hide the fact that while I was merely responding to the thread they started, they felt the need to resort to insults and then try and cover up that fact. As can be seen here, http://dragonage.wikia.com/index.php?title=User_blog_comment%3ACrackFoxJunior%2FDragon_Age%3A_Origins_-_Now_Free!%2F%40comment-Diain-20141009060658%2F%40comment-Diain-20141009104538&diff=616825&oldid=616824
But of course this is hardly helpful to anyone. So I'm going to go back to quietly minding my own business.
- Now Diaine is reposting their insults on my talk page, just in case I missed them.
- Calling you a snivelling weasel when the only two kinds of posts I have seen you make on this wiki are either antagonistic or complains to admins is hardly an insult. It is a fair analysis of your nature. Edit: I do welcome you to verify his posts Kelcat and tell me if I am wrong. Diain (talk) 11:21, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
Aveline and Donnic Page Problems Edit
There is a user who keeps changing "possible husband" and "possible wife" to just "husband" and "wife" on Aveline and Donnic's pages. We revert his change and say in the notes how it's based on player action, yet he keeps 'fixing' it. It's not a registered user, but is just an IP, however it's the same guy as I checked the IP's edit history. Thought I'd bring it to an admin's attention to either lock the page for a few days, block that guy, or something as he's convinced that his playthrough (which granted is probably the most common result) is the only option. AbsolutGrndZer0 (talk) 22:37, September 30, 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep an eye on the pages. --♫ Kelcat Talk 03:09, October 1, 2014 (UTC)
Death By Cheese Edit
Hey Kelcat, If she hasn't received them already, might I suggest that Death by Cheese be granted rollback and patroller rights. She's proven herself a dedicated and enthusiastic contibutor to the wiki and I think she would make good use of those tools. - 04:56, October 1, 2014 (UTC)
- I think it'd be a great idea, but only beaurocrats have the ability to changer users' rights. I'd suggest dropping a message to Loleil about it. --♫ Kelcat Talk 09:09, October 4, 2014 (UTC)
Heroes of Dragon Age Articles Edit
Hey Kelcat, you play Heroes of Dragon Age right? Because I noticed we have several articles specifically for HoDA which could really use some love. Like really fundamental stuff.
- Yeah, I was mulling those over awhile ago and then forgot about them. I think the Challenges article is good, so I'm going to remove the stub tag from it. I'll work more on the Events, since I'm the one who wrote most of it up and I need to see what else should be added. The Mechanics article... I'm not sure why that one was made to be honest, and don't know what could go there. I think I'll nominate it for deletion as I don't think it's needed. --♫ Kelcat Talk 22:10, October 5, 2014 (UTC)
Dragon Age II Quests cleanup Edit
Hey, I saw you got on the Quests (Dragon Age II) page and removed the cleanup tag. Originally it was put there mainly because of the colors, as it's a weird solution for differentiating between quests and looks out of place. Any idea how could it be improved? I haven't gotten to thinking about it much but since I saw you trying to clean it up, thought I'd ask you what you think about those colored texts in general. -- 16:56, October 5, 2014 (UTC)
- Ohhh, is that what was needed? I actually wasn't entirely sure since I couldn't find any notes on it--I'm just trying to clean out the long list of articles with cleanup tags. I know there was a forum discussion awhile ago with people being in agreement that color-coding specific types of quests would be a good idea. I do think there needs to be some kind of legend, and maybe more uniformity? I'm not sure, but I do like having the conditional quests marked differently since they're easy to miss. But maybe something other than colors would work; I'm not sure. --♫ Kelcat Talk 22:10, October 5, 2014 (UTC)
- Oh, didn't know of this one. Considering it was a discussion from a time when I was active only within the chat, no wonder. I see Mostlyautumn suggesting icons instead of colors, which to me seems more professional. The quests article got tagged during a discussion between me, D-day and Tierrie, as we ended up on that article and we were like "what's with the colors? o.O" It's true there should be a legend and uniformity, and I think icons would be great for that. Any idea what I should do? I mean, like opening a new forum with the title "Identifiers on "Quests" pages - Revision" or something? Or should I just go ahead and look into what icons could be used? (Mostlyautumn seemed to have ideas.) Although in the forum it doesn't look like to me that it was an overwhelming majority or anything supporting colors... but still unsure what would be a good step. -- 23:56, October 5, 2014 (UTC)
- Mostlyautumn is super-good with these types of things, so maybe talking with him about it would be a good starting point. I'd say icons instead of colors would look better, and as you say, more professional. The whole page could use some work, actually. We can't use the iconmini format on the quest names since they're colored, and the obsessive in me dislikes that it doesn't conform with the other quest pages. :) --♫ Kelcat Talk 00:31, October 6, 2014 (UTC)
Hi Kelcat, I just stopped by to let you know that I think you may have forgotten to leave your signature on your latest thread. I thought you might want to correct this personally instead of me adding the unsigned tag. 22:28, October 6, 2014 (UTC)
Hi Kelcat, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind checking my conversation with Diain on my talk page and perhaps chipping in? As you'll see, I'm in a bit of a dispute and I'd appreciate some input either way. 19:53, October 7, 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for your support. 20:50, October 7, 2014 (UTC)
HoDA Images Edit
Hey Kelcat, what do you think about putting in some sort of limit to the number of HoDA images we have on any one particular article? Because some of them are really piling up to about four images or so which just seems rather excessive. - 12:01, October 8, 2014 (UTC)
- I think it's fine if they're all of different characters, though we should probably limit it to 1 per character. As of right now, the only images that are missing are of named characters, and I tried to refrain from adding too many of the generic characters if they looked similar. But if there are particular articles that look too cluttered now, feel free to remove some--I added the majority of them, so I might not be the best judge :) --♫ Kelcat Talk 05:07, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
- Its more Xsari has been adding tier 4 and tier 1 images. In some cases like Bethany and Carver, we're up to 4 images. I get what she is going for since Tier 4 looks fairly divergent from tier 1. But honestly I agree, I think one image (tier 1 preferably) would be the best option.
- That's fine Kelcat, don't want to hurt HD3's eyes any further with my "excessive" images. It was only to show the difference between tier 1 and 4, not like I was going to add every tier. In the case of Bethany and Carver, since there are two versions of them in HoDA, I moved the tier 1's further up their pages so their gallerys didn't look so cluttered. But since you're an admin and know what you're talking about I respect your opinion so I'll agree to leave it as it is. --Xsari (Talk) 10:48, October 9, 2014 (GMT)
- What would be cool is if we could perhaps make or find images that show all 4 tiers in one image, to show those differences. But I have no idea how to do that. And I'm totally fine with any of the tiers, we don't really have to set a guide about which are preferable. I just think your images look much better than a lot I've done :) ♫ Kelcat Talk 10:20, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks, I appreciate you saying that Kelcat. I use the IPad so that might be the reason they look slightly better quality. Yes I agree it would be good to have a single image that shows all the tiers like on the Alistair page. Think I could try that with photoshop when I'm next home, away at the moment. --Xsari (Talk) 12:10, October 9, 2014 (GMT)
Help with news article? Edit
Hey Kelcat, sorry to bother you, but I recently posted a news article on the wiki, yet for some reason it can't be commented on. I've searched the wiki for help yet am unable to figure out why. Knowing myself, it's probably something completely simple, but if you could help me out it'd be very much appreciated. -- 18:42, October 8, 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, false alarm. I was indeed correct about it being something minor. My apologies for the inconvenience. -- 19:59, October 8, 2014 (UTC)
Account Hacking Edit
Hey Kelcat, I saw your post on KC's talk page but I thought I would post the relevant information here too.
Before I cleaned up my talk page from the whole incident, that anon and some other user were having some dispute over something. Then the anon posted on my talk page and said when they tried to post their reply they got an edit conflict warning, then when they clicked publish again, it published their comment but logged in under my account. I'll post the actual exchange they had below. I think the anon got auto blocked when KC blocked my account because that anon tried to post and it came up as "HD3" so the auto blocker thought the anon was me.
That anon could have been the hacker I suppose, but they seem to have gone on to continue arguing with the other user under their own IP again while "HD3" was vandalizing articles.
- idn't slip and bang your head against a toilet or something? You do know people know when you leave messages by seeing the page history even though you might try to pass it off as someone else? And that you're not supposed to butt in when two people are having a private conversation? Either way please butt out. Diain (talk) 12:31, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm not HD3 (obviously), but I think it's a safe bet his account has been compromised. Anyone have a way to contact him outside the wiki? --Death by Cheese (talk) 12:34, October 9, 2014 (UTC)
- No that was me. And I stand by it. I got the edit conflict warning and then it posted under this git's signature.
- Blargh, what a mess. I'd be really surprised if it was possible to "accidentally" post under someone else's username, even with an edit conflict coming up. But the IP automatically being blocked when King Cousland blocked you would make sense as to why there's no log abut it. Thanks for the info. --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:30, October 10, 2014 (UTC)
- Beats me. Have fun with those two, they both seem like real charmers.
Regarding "Back to top" codingEdit
Hi, I'm not a hugely common visitor of this particular wikia, so I just clicked your name as you were the first admin I saw, so if you don't know the answer to what I'm about to ask, then it would be much appreciated if you could point me to someone that would know. Anyway, I'm a B'crat on the Call of Duty wiki, and one thing we really like is your "Back to top" button, and we were wondering if we could use the code. Now I myself am not a very good coder, so wouldn't know which page to look on, and what part we'd need. So if you could let me know what coding you use to make that button appear we'd be very grateful. Thanks for your time. - Crazy sam10 23:35, October 12, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm coding blind, unfortunately. I would suggest contacting User:Tierrie. He's another admin and does a lot of the coding for the wiki. He should be able to help you out or point you to the right info. --♫ Kelcat Talk 00:03, October 13, 2014 (UTC)
- Alright. Thanks for letting me know. Crazy sam10 14:07, October 14, 2014 (UTC)
Article Move Edit
Hey Kelcat, Viktoria suggested moving this category to bring it in line with naming conventions, its been over a week and no one has objected so I think it can be moved.
- Strange... for some reason I can't rename categories. I'll hit Loleil up and see if it's something she can do; must have something to do with beaurocrat rights. --♫ Kelcat Talk 20:51, October 13, 2014 (UTC)
HoDA as a referenceEdit
Hey there Kelcat! Late congrats on the admin status! Quick question for you, as you're the only one I know of really working on HoDA stuff. Does the wiki consider the HoDA stuff as a legitimate reference? I was recently on the Ghouls page and noticed it doesn't list the Corrupted Nug as being a ghoul, but the only place the corrupted nug appears is in HoDA (along with a mage, nobleman etc...) I went to add him but had second thoughts and wanted to run it by you first. Warden Mage: Ferris (talk) 06:34, October 18, 2014 (UTC)
- Good question! I think we should treat all of HoDA as being non-canon. They are using characters from Dragon Age and a bit of the lore, but it's pretty spotty. I don't think we'd count the Noble Nug as actually being nobility :D I'd say that it would be best to not add the nug on the list of ghouls, at least for now, since we don't have any evidence beyond HoDA that nugs can become ghouls. --♫ Kelcat Talk 22:47, October 18, 2014 (UTC)
I already put this on my talk page but I figured I would post it here too, to whit:
- How about "We know nothing of Tranquility, or of demons, or even our own limitations."
- Or if we can turn a blind eye to a slightly longer quote than usual ""We know nothing of Tranquility, or of demons, or even our own limitations. Whatever comes next, we will only survive if we learn to look upon it with new eyes." -p.407
Sandbox for 4 Tier HoDA images Edit
Hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of including the list of completed images that Xsari has sent me. That way we can use the list as a reference for what we need and what has been done already, saves people working on duplicate images.
- Don't mind at all :D I think that's the ideal way to do it, so that the forum doesn't get too confusing.
- Incidentally, I wanted to thank you for your help lately with reverting the leaked images that have been added; your taking care of them so quickly is greatly appreciated! --♫ Kelcat Talk 00:51, October 20, 2014 (UTC)
- You just need to create a new page titled User:HD3/Sandbox (you can put a number after "Sandbox" if you intend to have more than one) --♫ Kelcat Talk 06:16, October 21, 2014 (UTC)
220.127.116.11 has vandalized several articles. Have rolled back but thought I should bring to you in case of bans for IP or what have you. Also it could be coincidence, but this vandal was using the exact same style as the one who hacked my account and vandalized my user page a while back.
And now there is a second vandal.
Dragon Age: Inquisition Instant ExpertEdit
I’m reaching out to you and the other Dragon Age admins about an upcoming Instant Expert we were planning for the DA Wikia in conjunction with the release of Inquisition. The Instant Expert is basically a series of programs we run on a portal page related to Inquisition. Here’s a recent example for Shadow of Mordor: http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Shadow_of_Mordor_Instant_Expert
In addition to the the Instant Expert, we’re interested in doing a Collaborative Writing Project with your community. The Collaborative Writing Project would be a story generated by the community related to the Mage-Templar War, set around the time of Inquisition (9:40 Dragon). It invites participation from both DA lore fans and users who may feel less comfortable making technical edits. Here’s a recent example from our Sci-Fi Wikia: http://scifi.wikia.com/wiki/The_Signal_Collaborative_Writing_Project
Please let me know if you’ve got any questions or concerns, and thanks for taking the time to discuss this!
- Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, so I'm not sure how other admins will feel. I don't have an issue with the Instant Expert, I know that Tierrie and some others are currently working on a complete redesign of the site and all the portals, though.
- As far as the Collaborate Writing Project, I'm afraid that that's not something I can really support. Looking at the example you linked, there seems to be a lot more negative feedback than positive, so it makes me leery that this would actually wind up not being a positive experience. In my opinion there are plenty of other sites for writing fanfiction, rather than a wiki. We do have users who don't feel comfortable making technical edits, but they do have a huge presence in the forums and blogs, so they have an outlet here where they can be part of the community. --♫ Kelcat Talk 00:18, October 22, 2014 (UTC)
Thanks for the response, and sorry about the delayed reply. Yourself, King Cousland, and Loleil were the only admins who got back to me, but based on all your feedback, it looks like you're okay with the IE, but agree that the writing project won't be a good fit. We'll likely host that over on the DAFanon Wiki instead. As far as the rest of it is concerned, the IE will live on it's own portal page on the Wiki. Any mainpage visibility you guys want to give it would be much appreciated, but is 100% optional. While we would like to wait for the redesign, it's a little more time sensitive on our end and uses a custom mediawiki design of our own, so it would live outside of the redesign anyways. Please let me know if you've got any more questions or concerns!
Greetings again Kelcat,
Just wanted to ping you and see if you'd be interested in chipping in on the Community Essentials part of the Instant Expert. It's just basically your thoughts about Inquisition, and what you're hoping to see, or are excited to experience in the game. You're free to write as much or as little as you like, we just want to get some honest opinions from you guys.
Here's some example questions, but you're free to write whatever you'd like:
- What’s the biggest improvement over Dragon Age 2 you think Inquisition will bring?
- What are your thoughts on the co-op mode?
- What class/race will you be playing as and why?
- What is it about the Dragon Age series that draws you to it?
Anyways, we're looking to have everything ready to go on Friday, so if you're interested we'd need it by then. Hope to hear back from ya! Thanks!
HD3 keeps removing my edits to the wiki. I expressly and politely asked them to refrain from doing so, but they persist.
- Please see your talk page for my message regarding edit warring. To further expand on the reason why both HD3 and myself have reverted your edit is due to the fact that your comments are speculation. As you can see in the guidelines found here, speculation is not allowed on articles on this wiki. Thanks. --♫ Kelcat Talk 09:16, October 22, 2014 (UTC)
As expected, reputation does play a huge role in biased admins.
Thanks for confirming this.
Couple of minor things Edit
Ok so a couple of things, first, I just broke 5K edits and I felt the need to boast to someone.
Second, I just noticed that on the Orlesian royalty and nobility article we list the full name and title for each entry but on the Fereldan royalty and nobility we just list the name. I can't think of any reason both articles shouldn't follow the same style. I personally prefer the stlye we use for the orlesian page, but I wouldn't want to try to establish a style without a broader consensus. What do you think?
- Congratulations! You've been rocking the edits lately.
- I'm a huge stickler for uniformity, so I agree it would be good if they looked similar. Personally, though, I think it's redundant to list the titles for each character like on Orlesian royalty and nobility, seeing as how they're all under title headers. --♫ Kelcat Talk 08:09, October 25, 2014 (UTC)
- See that was my original position as well, but then it occured to me that in some cases we only know the surnames of and titles of some nobles/royals. So if we used the Fereldan model we could wind up with situations where it is ambiguous. Baron Arlange for instance, under the model we use for the Orlesian page, we've got
Barons and Baronesses Edit
but under the one we use for fereldan
Barons and Baronesses Edit
so its unclear.
Hmmm, that's true. Gender is difficult to tell on some of them without the title. I think it might be best to open the conversation up to a wider group, maybe on one or both of the talk pages. --♫ Kelcat Talk 01:33, October 26, 2014 (UTC)
- Have opened on fereldan page.
Do Me A Favor Would Ya?Edit
- I'm loathe to over-patrol the blogs, but that one was a bit over the line, so I've removed it. --♫ Kelcat Talk 02:54, October 26, 2014 (UTC)
One Question Edit
- I'd probably go for something a little lighter since they're probably to the point of answering everything they're willing to reveal about Inquisition. Like, what are each of the developer's favorite characters out of all the games? --♫ Kelcat Talk 20:41, October 30, 2014 (UTC)
Featured Images Edit
Hey, I made a forum where I'd be interested in hearing some feedback about and maybe suggestions too for refreshing the Featured Images' gallery. You can find the forum here. Your opinion would be very much appreciated! -- 23:28, October 29, 2014 (UTC)