Tennessee Ernie Ford is the nom de web of the author of RPG guides. No relationship to the fantabulous gospel singer of the same name is intended or implied.
|Before wikis, cRPG guides were written in paper & pencil.||
/Resign, aka A Bug Too Far Edit
After getting to the The Final Battle, I have uninstalled the game after suffering one bug too many. As much as I enjoyed the truly epic part of the game and character interaction, the interface has knocked me down for the last time. The final blow: repeatedly attempting to use potions with the game canceling the action in favor of something else (yes: I tried using different potions, disabling auto-tactics, selecting the relevant character, etc.).
The game has some great moments, but they punctuate hours of annoying tedium:
- Tactics flawed: cannot add a tactic in middle of cycle; cannot copy a tactic across toons; limited # of tactics (punishes player for having low level toons).
- Requires constant tinkering with tactics or micromanaging party, either of which takes away from immersion in the game.
- Load times flawed: load times increase in duration after short game times or perhaps auto-saves and/or loading certain areas (esp. Denerim)
- Arbitrariness of Locked Areas: areas become locked without warning (preventing completion of side-quests); not at all obvious which areas allow map travel or party swapping
- Inventory system flawed: cannot equip companions in camp; not clear which items will become important (without spoilers) making limited storage space a problem.
- Copyright protection system flawed: requires being always online; if issues connecting, cannot play game.
I really wanted to like this game...
- Walkthrough: a simplified walkthrough of the mainline quests.
- Specializations Reference: a quick comparison of specializations.
Other tools Edit
Researched by players Edit
Official notes Edit
Mods I Would Like to See in DA:O Edit
These are mods that I think Dragon Age needs to be a great game. (I'll add links as I find them; feel free to suggest/comment on my talk page.)
|Storage||How can a great game fail to provide storage?|| Best mod: Mischa the Hoarder adds unlimited storage and sorting (also offers game imbalancing items — must resist clicking).|
Worst mod: the tal chest — doesn't hold much and is a tiny bit buggy
|Useful descriptions||[The in-game mouse-over help is near useless. Should have formulas and details.||Best mod: Project 1117 is better than a good start at fixing this.|
|Rebuild characters||There needs to be a way to change all stats/skills.||Project 469 adds an NPC that resets the build. Still might be some issues around tomes.|
|Better item sort/filter||Items sort strangely (esp gifts); too many items end up in 4th slot, not enough in 3rd.||Mod should put gifts into "Jewelry" category and change sort orders so that stuff at top or bottom is more commonly used.|
|No more AD&D Merchants!||Don't you hate traveling the map to find a flask?|| Give all merchants the same inventory list, same buy/sell rates, and unlimited craft materials. |
Remove all armor/weapons. (no more game-imbalancing purchases).
Add a merch to Camp that offers basic, level-appropriate kit (e.g. light/med/heavy armor, etc.)
|Better tinting||There's not all that much difference between tattoo colors, is there?||Project 750 increase the contrast. Not essential, but this looks much better than default.|
|Actual tactics||You can't leave an AI with only 3 customizable commands, especially if it takes 6 clicks to force a change between a ranger and a scrapper.||The advanced tactics mod adds commands, but more importantly, tweaks the default AI.|
- Useful other utilities