The University of Orlais in Val Royeaux is one of the oldest universities in Thedas. It is a major center of learning that attracts young nobles from all over Thedas as it provides some of the best education one can buy. The university is a relatively modern institution, whose liberal-minded professors have clashed with religious conservatives over the content of their classes. In theory, commoners, including elves, are allowed to attend if sponsored by a noble patron. The University contains a Chantry for the use of students and faculty.
The university was founded by one of the former rulers of Orlais. For many ages, it was just a way to get rid of unpromising children, with the Chantry snapping up all of the greatest minds. Under political and religious pressures, the school could only study what none of the former had problems with. Much of this changed when Empress Celene was crowned, for by declaring that she would study there the school was invigorated. In truth, she was only able to visit with the professors, but thanks to Celene's influence it has become one of the most respected learning institution in all of Thedas.
By decree of Divine Renata I, any Chantry art in Orlais depicting elves has been destroyed save a single mural of Shartan. A reproduction of this mural is depicted at the university, albeit with Shartan's ears cropped. This was the Divine's sole concession.
Fearing that religious and political pressure might hinder the University's capacity for innovation and research, Empress Celene has made a concerted effort to ensure that the University is free of any such constraining interests.
In recent years Celene has been strongly encouraging the university to overlook the lack of status and rank for individuals who show prodigious talent or potential which could help further the interests and prestige of the Orlesian Empire, provided a noble sponsors them. Most recently this has even extended to Celene personally interceding in support of an elven math prodigy, Lennan, who was sponsored by Comtesse Helene. Elves are now allowed into the university, although it is common for their work to go unacknowledged and uncredited.
The University offers classes on nature, magic, history, mathematics, and the arts.
Dragon Age: The Masked Empire Edit
Empress Celene travels to the University where, after a brief meeting with the chancellor, she retires to the University's chantry to meet with Sister Nightingale, the representative of Divine Justinia V.The move to allow elves into the University is controversial. In response, several professors are asked to write papers about elves. One asserts that they are similar to rabbits and therefore not to be trusted. Another that interracial relationships are an affront to the Maker.
Dragon Age: The Last Court Edit
Dragon Age: Inquisition Edit
In the wake of the disaster at the Temple of Sacred Ashes, the University of Orlais establishes a good working relationship with the newly reformed Inquisition offering resources and researchers in exchange for political and military protection.
If Gaspard becomes Emperor:Kenric mentions that Emperor Gaspard has surprisingly made no demands of the University and ostensibly intends to continue Celene's policy of non-involvement and support.
Known faculty and students Edit
- Professor Bram Kenric - specialized in early Chantry history
- Cedric Marquette - specialized in archaelogy and the recovery of historical artifacts
- Colette - Professor Kenric's research assistant
- Professor Doucy
- Professor Frederic of Serault - Professor of Draconology
- Chancellor Henri Morrac
- Chancellor Jurgen Haulis - Chancellor in 9:41
- Karsten Groeke - Philosopher-poet
- Lennan - A math prodigy, first elf allowed to attend the university
- Empress Celene "studied" at the university, though her duties meant that she in fact simply met with faculty members to discuss topics of interest to her, rather than conduct any research of her own.
- Ambrose Dumont, an artist famous for his exquisite paintings in wood and considered having no equals gifted a series of woodcuts to the university which are now used as the primary reference for any naturalist wishing to study the physiology of livestock and other creatures. A smaller and equally detailed series on the anatomy of nugs can be found in the Great Library of the university.
- Brother Genitivi lectured at the university.
- The University of Orlais is one of the very few institutions of higher learning mentioned in the series that is not a Circle of Magi.
See also Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 275
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Dragon Age: The Masked Empire ch1.
- ↑ Dialogue with Colette
- ↑ Dragon Age: The Masked Empire ch.5.
- ↑ The University of Orlais
- ↑ Codex entry: What is Green?
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 25
- ↑ World of Thedas – Volume 1: An Erratum by Brother Genitivi