Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Near Lothering's chantry - particularly (automatically) if approaching a barrel and chest on the ground next to a covered wagon - the party will encounter a group consisting of a Sister, a merchant, and two farmers. The priestess and merchant are arguing over the prices being charged for his wares. In the ensuing dialogue, you have three options: removing yourself from the argument, siding with the merchant, or siding with the Sister.
Remove yourself from the argument (the merchant will leave Lothering):
Side with the merchant (he will give you 1 and be open for business):
- Alistair disapproves (-3), (-6) if "Don't worry about it. I hate the self-righteous" is also chosen
- Leliana disapproves (-15), (-10) if "You don't think you're being unscrupulous?" was chosen
- Morrigan approves (+2), (+4) if "Don't worry about it. I hate the self-righteous" is also chosen
Kill the merchant (option is available after driving off the Sister):
- Alistair disapproves (-3)
- Leliana disapproves (-30), (-25) including approval loss from siding with the merchant (see above)
- Morrigan approves (+2)
- Sten approves (+4)
Siding with the Sister, The Warden may attempt to persuade or intimidate the merchant into lowering his prices. If either is successful, the merchant will remain and do business):
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 150 XP
- 1 for siding with the merchant
- Access to the merchant's inventory if he is not killed and either
- the Warden convinces him to lower his prices
- the Sister is driven away by the Warden
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This quest is not documented in your journal.
- Despite assurances of a discount, the prices the merchant applies to you are the same regardless of who you choose to support.
- Stealing from the Merchant yields an , so long as he did not leave.