Rumors tell of a grand treasure buried in a tomb in the Hissing Wastes. Explore the Wastes, using any available clues and maps to find it.
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
Obtained after arriving in the Hissing Wastes.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The maps[edit | edit source]
There are six maps, one for each tomb, but finding a map is not required before going to a tomb. The maps are:
- Sketch of Four Pillar Tomb - given by Scout Harding when first entering the Hissing Wastes.
- Sketch of Canyon Tomb - at the Venatori Canyon Camp, located northwest of the Logging Inquisition Camp.
- Sketch of Burial Grounds Tomb - at the Venatori Canyon Camp, located southeast of the Logging Inquisition Camp.
- Sketch of Colossus Tomb - found in the Sunstop Mountain Inquisition Camp.
- Sketch of Sunstop Mountain Tomb - found inside the Burial Grounds Tomb.
- Map of Tomb of Fairel - found inside the chest in the Four Pillar Tomb.
The tombs[edit | edit source]
A puzzle must be solved inside each tomb in order to unlock the final chamber which holds a chest full of loot plus the key fragment. The puzzle involves lighting braziers with Veilfire in the correct order. The order is established by reading the four nearby stone tablets about the story of Fairel. Arrange the phrases into a coherent verse and light the braziers in that order.
All the verses can be found in Codex entry: Dwarven Inscriptions: Hissing Wastes which will update each time one of the puzzles is solve. If an incorrect brazier is lit, Ancient tomb guardians and Burning tomb guardians are released from the walls. If Cole is in the active party he will comment on the gangues: "They were Dwarves. They think they still are. They sound like dust tastes."
Four Pillar Tomb[edit | edit source]
The Four Pillar Tomb is located near the Sand Crags Inquisition Camp. Enter the tomb, light the braziers in the correct order and loot the large chest for the quest key fragment. The order is as follows:
- This is the tale of Fairel, Paragon among Paragons, father of two sons,
- who, against their father's wishes, fought from foolish words and foolish pride.
- For pride these halls were made -- to honor a father's deeds, and grieve his loss.
- And for loss these halls were made, to honor a brother mourned.
Canyon Tomb[edit | edit source]
The Canyon Tomb is located in the canyon northeast of the Logging Inquisition Camp. Defeat the spiders in the canyon and enter the tomb. Light the braziers in the correct order and loot the large chest for the quest key fragment. The order is as follows:
- After many years Fairel, greatest of Paragons, could not bear life's burden.
- And with the burden growing, he called his sons to his bedside.
- He bade each son swear he would take care of his brother,
- and the brothers swore, and mourned when their father returned to the Stone.
Burial Grounds Tomb[edit | edit source]
The Burial Grounds Tomb is located south of the Logging Inquisition Camp. Light the braziers in the correct order:
- Fairel's sons built monuments to their father, locking away his great works,
- and worked together, for a time, side by side. Each ruled half the thaig,
- but each ruled differently. They argued, and heated words made the brothers duel,
- And where one brother fell, the others raised bloodied axe in hand, alone.
Colossus Tomb[edit | edit source]
The Colossus Tomb is located north of the Statue Inquisition Camp. Defeat the spiders swarming the tomb and light the braziers in the correct order:
- Fairel, Paragon, fled from the strife his brilliance created,
- The strife that destroyed thaigs, sundered houses, from weapons that clan used against clan.
- His own clan and his two sons followed Fairel to the pitiless surface,
- The surface where they would hide from the war that took their home.
Sunstop Mountain Tomb[edit | edit source]
The Sunstop Mountain Tomb is located east of the Mountain Fortress Inquisition Camp (follow the path northeast), towards the Ocularum found at the Mountain Fortress Inquisition Camp. Climb down the ladders to enter the tomb and light the braziers in the correct order. A Superb Fire Rune Schematic will be found about halfway down, which can be revealed with veilfire. The correct order of phrases is as follows:
- The sun burned above oceans of sand,
- but in the sand was Stone, strong and true.
- Fairel hewed the Stone, and built──as great as any thaig in the deep.
- And with his sons' help, he ensured the thaig prospered and grew.
Tomb of Fairel[edit | edit source]
Once all of the key fragments have been collected, head to the Tomb of Fairel which is located east of the Sand Crags Inquisition Camp, just before the edge of the World map, pass through two pillars, located towards the back of a crater. The Sandy Howler high dragon will be resting in the area, to avoid a confrontation stick to the edge of the crater. Once inside the tomb, looting the chest completes the quest and updates Codex entry: Dwarven Inscriptions: Hissing Wastes.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 10,152 XP
- Influence 2,000
- Power 3
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
- Codex entry: Sketch of Four Pillar Tomb
- Codex entry: Sketch of Canyon Tomb
- Codex entry: Sketch of Burial Grounds Tomb
- Codex entry: Sketch of Colossus Tomb
- Codex entry: Sketch of Sunstop Mountain Tomb
- Codex entry: Map of Tomb of Fairel
- Codex entry: Dwarven Inscriptions: Hissing Wastes
- Codex entry: Demons of the Stone
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Each tomb holds a mosaic piece for the Sacrifice mosaic. However, the Sunstop Mountain Tomb contains two mosaic pieces, thus a total of seven can be found during the quest.
- The Four Pillar Tomb chest holds:
- The Canyon Tomb chest holds:
- The Burial Grounds Tomb chest holds:
- The Colossus Tomb chest holds:
- The Sunstop Mountain Tomb chest holds:
- The Tomb of Fairel chest holds:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When opening the second through final tombs (including the Tomb of Fairel itself), Blackwall, Iron Bull, and Varric will have unique dialogue with the Inquisitor:
- Blackwall recounts a five-part story of a mission out to the Silent Plains (dialogue slightly changes before and after Revelations), warning the party that the desert is not to be trifled with, and Sera will make a comment about the ghasts.
- Iron Bull notes the construction of the tombs, and Dorian will comment on his quip about Tevinter's use of magic to lift blocks. At the Tomb of Fairel, he will remark that the tombs are not rigged with traps to ward off tomb robbers, the builders instead reasoning that "this guy was so important they thought no one would rob him," which Cole does not understand.
- Varric speaks of dwarven history and culture (much to his chagrin) and the anomalous nature of a dwarven surface colony as a result (dialogue changes with a dwarven Inquisitor), and Cassandra will be surprised that a dwarven tomb "gives him the creeps" despite everything they'd seen up to that point (and his lack of belief in dwarven Ancestors inhabiting the Stone).
- Dialogue with Blackwall will adjust depending on which parts of the tale he has mentioned, but not bringing him to a tomb will not prevent him from telling subsequent pieces. However, he will only tell the final part of his tale if he is brought to the third tomb (mentions the flood in the desert). Likewise, Iron Bull will only tell the final part of his tale if he was brought to the fifth tomb (mentions "something missing" from the tombs). Varric will always have his final exchange, even if he has not been brought to any of the tombs.
- A statue bearing the likeness of Mythal overlooks the Tomb of Fairel.
- If the Inquisitor skirts the Sandy Howler as suggested above and then later returns to kill the dragon, there will still be party banter about the dragon being in between them and the tomb.
Exploits[edit | edit source]
- It's possible to complete this quest without finding all 5 tombs. Use the Exploits (Inquisition)#Loot Chest Farming exploit by leaving one item and going to another location on the world map, then going back to the tomb; the key and the ring will always reset. Thus, just do the Four Pillar Tomb, which is next to the Sand Crags camp, and go back to it 4 more time to get all 5 key parts and 5 rings. Then head to the Tomb of Fairel to complete.