The Crimson Oars is a quest received from Sergeant Kylon at the Denerim Market District after completing Pearls Before Swine but only if you completed that quest by not killing Mercenaries at The Pearl (otherwise he will no longer talk to you).
Sergeant Kylon has asked the Warden to deal with the mercenaries at the Gnawed Noble Tavern. This time he says you can use lethal force; the innkeeper doesn't mind some blood (or 'sport' as she says), so force may be used.
To complete this quest, go to the Gnawed Noble Tavern and confront the Crimson Oars Leader. At this point you can either:
- Let the Crimson Oars stay (this will not net any gold).
- Kill the Crimson Oars (when the fight starts the door shuts behind you and cannot be opened until the fight is over).
- Persuade / Intimidate them to leave peacefully.
Return to Sergeant Kylon for a reward.
If the Crimson Oars left or were killed:
- 100 XP
- If Slim Couldry's job to steal the teyrn's crown is active, the Crimson Oars will not appear in the tavern. If this happens, simply relieve the mark of the item (by any means), then exit and re-enter the tavern. The Oars will return and the quest can resume.
- If you have the Qwinn's Ultimate DA:O Fix Pack mod installed, Sergeant Kylon will also reference putting a notice on the Chanter's Board if you persuaded the Crimson Oars to leave peacefully suggesting that there was an additional quest past completion. Otherwise, in the base game without the mod the quest line will simply end with Sergeant Kylon saying "Thanks for your help." and become an NPC you can no longer have cinematic interactions with. However no Chantry Board quest will be available from Sergeant Kylon. (Unfortunately. He's kind of a cool guy.)