The Black Vials are six small glass phylacteries that can be found around Ferelden. The area around them is unnaturally cold. Dark shapes swirl around a slip of paper within each vial. When the Warden takes a vial, the glass fractures and releases a hostile revenant. Upon their death, each revenant drops a scrap of vellum that updates the Codex entry: The Black Vials.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The vials may be taken in any order.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Cale Viazagat, The First Corpse Walker:
- Nethamas Bigal, The Second Corpse Walker:
- Glass phylactery in a room in Orzammar Royal Palace (the eastern-most room/kitchen).
- Argruth Massaad, The Third Corpse Walker:
- Glass phylactery near the centre of Caridin's Cross (see map to right).
- Quametha Kagat, The Fourth Corpse Walker:
- Shamas Goodson, The Fifth Corpse Walker:
- Glass phylactery in Werewolf Lair, the top left room in the middle of the map.
- Anton Wither, The Sixth Corpse Walker:
- Glass phylactery in one of the Back Alley random encounters in Denerim. In this encounter you start on a stone platform up a set of steps and the glass phylactery is on the platform with you. It is the same encounter during which bandits trap one of your party members by dropping a portcullis that must be lifted using a lever. (This vial can only be found during this one and only random encounter, so be sure to pick it up!)
Rewards[edit | edit source]
XP and loot dropped by revenants:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is no journal entry for this quest other than the codex entry.
- A black vial can also be found in the Mark of the Assassin expansion for Dragon Age 2 during Aveline's The Du Lac Sign companion quest.
- In the basement of the Riverside Garrison in the Exalted Plains there is a bottle of wine called "Finale By Massaad", and is said to come from Ferelden. Massaad is one of the names of the Revenants.