|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Solas/Dialogue article.|
- I think it might be a good idea to add translations for all the things Solas says in Elven to this article. 18px OLIOSTER (talk) 12:02, January 23, 2015 (UTC)
I too think it would be a good idea as well. But to do this we need very accurate translations of what he says, and so far all we have, and all that is out there, are half-assed assumptive translations. I mean no offence to anyone with that statement, I too have tried and have come out with mushy half-ass-ness. A lot of what Solas says are either variations of words we have seen, or completely new ones. So unless we get an official translation, any attempt we make at translating it will end up as a kind of Schrodinger's Translation.
But, with that said, if others feel it is a good idea, I suggest creating a forum, in the Wiki discussion section, where people can attempt to translate some of the elvish, and then we can vote on which seems to fit best. There is currently a discussion on the Elven Language talk page about Solas' "feel the rhythm of the words" elven dialogue. 18:42, January 23, 2015 (UTC)
I would love to have the translations, but as ACdeakial says, we don't have concrete translations available to us. We know the meaning of a few of the words, and they're on the Elven article, but there's not nearly enough info for us to accurately translate everything he says. --♫ Kelcat Talk 19:27, January 23, 2015 (UTC)
Is it possible for a "proposed" list of translations being listed here on the Solas Dialogue talk page? Provided its a reasonable solution and acceptable for a talk page (I'm not suggesting linking it on an official page, just directing anyone who has questions about it to here), it would allow for repeated forum topics regarding translations to be avoided/minimized. And then we can hold out on entering the proper translation into the article, and the Elvish article, until we find the necessary information out. Also, I have started attempting to translate some of the Elvish, I'm happy to continue with it and post my findings here, or in a forum or blog or whatever, if people wish.
In fairness, most of what is said, I don't think has any hidden meaning, in regards to spoilers or mysterious messages from the devs. When Solas translates most of what he says, it is mostly true. "Ar lasa mala revas" for example, he says means "You are free", but I believe a more accurate translation would be "I give you back your freedom." 02:30, January 24, 2015 (UTC)
- I think putting it here on the talk page would be a good compromise. --♫ Kelcat Talk 04:18, January 24, 2015 (UTC)
Should that dialogue stay? According to Sheryl Chee, she wrote that bit of dialogue one night while half asleep, and it somehow got voiced. Then after asking David Gaider, he said that elves can't grow beards at all, so she deleted it from the game. Without mods, nobody will hear it spoken. http://forum.bioware.com/topic/497162-blackwall-discussion-thread-the-resolve-voiced-by-alastair-parker/page-529#entry18586100 It seems like it'd lead to people thinking they might have a bug when not hearing it Gladion20 (talk) 07:48, February 20, 2015 (UTC)
Companion comments about Solas Edit
Shouldn't the comments be added to the dialogue pages of the characters who say them (i.e. Vivienne's comments on Vivienne's page)? Especially since some of the "what do you think of this person" questions give answers that apply to advisors, who don't have dialogue pages (i.e. Sera and Blackwall give opinions about Cullen, Leliana and Josephine).
Also, I've noticed Solas is the only one that anyone has done this for. I'm going to add it for the other characters, but I want to make sure mods haven't said "no" or something. Palipride47 (talk) 08:44, April 20, 2015 (UTC)
- I think it'd be great to cross-post these to the other characters' articles. We seem to have all the party banter on the wiki now, but we're definitely missing a lot of the other dialogue, like combat/location comments, etc. Anything you can add would be fantastic! --♫ Kelcat Talk 20:14, April 20, 2015 (UTC)
- Will do. I also ran into A LOT of Sera/Varric dialogue, so I'll add what I find. There's also comments from Cassandra and Varric that are sort of approval dependent or random or can only be accessed once. (I can only ask Varric about the Inquisition once or so).Palipride47 (talk) 03:22, April 21, 2015 (UTC)
Varric/Solas/Blackwall Conversation Edit
The conversation about Grey Wardens between Varric and Solas changes slightly if you have Blackwall in the party post revelations. I'm unsure how to put it into the existing dialogue with the proper spoilers. I have the line saved and would be happy to add it, but I'd hate to spoil someone accidentally and just need some guidance. --Emynii (talk) 11:53, October 29, 2015 (UTC)
- The dialogue articles are already filled with spoilers; it's pretty much implied that you're going to see spoiles if you want to read about character dialogues. So go ahead and just add it in, don't worry about spoiler tags or anything. --♫ Kelcat Talk 18:26, October 29, 2015 (UTC)