Confusion speculation: Enchanter's Staff vs. Magic Staff Edit
I'd really like to add this as trivia, but it's pure speculation, so that won't be allowed …
If one delves deep into the details and compares the Enchanter's Staff with the Magic Staff, they will find a many hints that may suggest, these two staves have been confused somewhen during development.
First take a look at their appearance: Fitting a regular Circle's staff, the Enchanter's Staff uses the spiral metal design, whereas the Magic Staff is made of wood. I take this as a sign of the former being sanctioned by the Circle of Magi and the latter … well, what would a non-circle Mage use to craft a staff?
But, oops, what is that? The item IDs tell another story: Morrigan's Magic Staff is named
gen_im_wep_mag_sta_mgc – and Wynne's Enchanter's Staff
Next take a look at the descriptions: Why in Thedas would the Circle's staff feature a text like "this staff thrills with power, having been invested with magic through rituals older than the Circle of Magi"?
It's getting a bit more complicated, when it comes to the staves' acquisition.
- Shouldn't the Circle Mage, who joins your party right in front of the Tower of Ishal, be equipped with the Enchanter's Staff, rather than with that piece of wood?
- There seems to be no confusion with the reward for the Arl of Redcliffe and the loot/treasure lists.
- But – again –, would First Enchanter Irving hand out that piece of wood to his new circle mage? Or would he rather present a reliable Enchanter's Staff?
- The quartermaster in Ostagar sells a circle staff underhand, as well as the unscrupulous merchant in Lothering, while the Circle Tower's quartermaster offers a piece of wood?
- And Cesar has the official and strong Enchanter's Staff in his regular offer, while he's selling the weak and cheap Magic Staff only as special stock?
- What I think, how things should have been
- Morrigan would have equipped
gen_im_wep_mag_sta_mor, which would be the Magic Staff – let's call it Morrigan's Staff from now on.
- Wynne would have equipped the Enchanter's Staff, with the ID
- The stats, as well as the descriptions, would have been switched:
- The Circle Mage would be equipped with the Enchanter's Staff, which is also given to the mage in their origin and as reward in Redcliffe.
- The dubious merchants sell Morrigan's variant, while the Circle's quartermaster certainly offers the Enchanter's Staff.
So much for that – by me. Perhaps someone can frame a short paragraph out of this, to add it as trivia nevertheless. Or doubt my speculations. Or confirm them, perhaps even with references …
This can be found on the other staff's talk page, too.
-- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 11:04, March 25, 2017 (UTC)