Sundermount is the tallest mountain in the Vimmarks and has a fearsome reputation. Legend says it was the site of a vicious battle where the ancient Tevinter Imperium and the elves of Arlathan unleashed horrors into the waking world, and creatures prowl the heights to this very day, unaware that the war for which they were summoned is long since over.
The Sabrae clan of the Dalish elves led by their Keeper, Marethari have settled at its foot after losing their halla. A cave to the west of the camp is guarded by a creature from elven legends. A passage near the camp leads into the Deep Roads and the Abandoned Thaig. A winding path leads up the mountain through spider-infested caverns to a graveyard where elven elders came to sleep. An altar to Mythal stands on the edge of the cliff next to it. An ancient evil is bound atop Sundermount, whispering to the proud in their dreams.
In return for Flemeth's help in escaping the darkspawn in the Korcari Wilds, Hawke agrees to bring an item to Keeper Marethari, whose clan has settled near Sundermount. In 9:31 Dragon, Hawke brings the item to the Keeper, who asks them to perform a ritual on top of Sundermount. She sends her First, Merrill, to assist with the ritual. At the end of the ritual, Flemeth emerges from the item. She thanks Hawke for keeping their promise before flying away in dragon form.Clan Sabrae remains at the foot of Sundermount for years, as Keeper Marethari is unwilling to abandon her former First, who left the clan to settle in nearby Kirkwall. Keeper Marethari is eventually killed after allowing herself to become possessed by the demon living atop Sundermount.
- Sundermount Caverns
- Sundermount Ambush Site (Act 1)
- Varterral Hunting Ground/Mountain Cave (Act 2 and 3)
- Abandoned Thaig / Hidden Dungeon (Act 2 and 3)
- Pride's End (Act 3)
- Blood Mage Refuge (Act 3)
- Long Way Home - complete the task set by Flemeth
- Duty - kill the mercenaries
- Herbalist's Tasks - talk to Master Ilen about pure ironbark
- Changing One's Nature - help to soothe the werewolves of Ferelden
- The Conspirators - hunt down a conspirator from Amaranthine
- Map of Occupied Kirkwall - a fetch quest
- Remains of the Outlaw Half-Braid Silsam - a fetch quest
- Mirror Image - a companion quest for Merrill
- Wooden Halla - purchase a gift for Merrill
- Herbalist's Tasks - acquire Dalish tattoo ink and a Varterral's Heart
- Honoring the Fallen - collect hunters' amulets
- Forbidden Knowledge - find an Evil Tome
- Bounty Hunter - hunt down an apostate
- The Eyes of Azure Jamos - a fetch quest
- Ream-Rot Knife - a fetch quest
- "South-Song" Gerralt's Corpse - a fetch quest
- A New Path - a companion quest for Merrill
- A Murder of Crows - find a dangerous assassin
- The Awiergan Scrolls: Second Aspect - defeat the aspect
- The Awiergan Scrolls: Third Aspect - defeat the aspect
- The Last Holdouts - hunt down blood mages
- Main article: Supplier
The resources listed below can be obtained in area prior entering any other location. Resources found in caves are listed on their respective pages.
- - in the graveyard just before the altar on the mountain path.
- (2) - one is in the loop to the left between the entrance and the Dalish Camp; the other is behind some stone in the first clearing up the mountain path (where the Dalish hunter insults Merrill). See map.
- - around the first bend on the way up the mountain path.
- - in the stone ruin on the low path past the Dalish Camp.
- - in the Sundermount Graveyard (head through the passage), on the right side after clearing the Revenant (where the rite takes place during the quest a Long Way Home).
- on the ledge just before the dead-end clearing at the top of the upper mountain path (it is right before the "travel down the mountain" if you've already done Merrill's side quest. If not, its on the little curve off the path before the entrance to cave of her mission)
- Recipe: Mighty Offense Potion - in a Pile of Bones after exiting the passage to the cemetery, to the right behind some bushes.
- Design: Rune of Valiance - in the small damaged ruin located southwest of the Varterral Hunting Ground.
- Codex entry: Arlathan: Part One (Dalish Camp)
- Codex entry: The Tale of Iloren (Dalish Camp)
- Codex entry: Vallaslin: Blood Writing (Dalish Camp)
- Codex entry: Geography of Thedas (Dalish Camp)
- Codex entry: Sundermount (atop the mountain)