The world treats all mages with caution, but the Qunari are especially hard on their own. The strict and regimented treatment of Circle mages by the templars pales in comparison to that of the Saarebas by the Qunari. Whereas the Circle mages have relative freedom within their towers, Saarebas are seemingly prisoners within their own body, donning a set of heavy pauldrons with chains attached to them, perhaps to act as a form of leash, while their faces are hidden beneath a metal visor. In extreme cases their lips may be stitched together. If found practicing forbidden magic, their tongues are cut out to prevent them from corrupting others.
Saarebas do not receive a proper instruction and are essentially hedge mages. Even so, they are said to be much more powerful than most human or elf mages. They are considered weapons and as such are trained with the focus on destruction.
In Qunari society, a mage is never allowed to be alone, and must always be kept under watch by an Arvaarad. If Saarebas separate from their keeper, they must be slain, or commit suicide, according to the Qun. The chained armor the Saarebas are forced to wear can immobilize them through a device held by an Arvaarad. The Qunari also invented a mobile version of the magic-blocking device which makes mages unable to cast spells – it is in the form of a collar.
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age II
- Amongst the Qunari shipwrecked near Kirkwall.
- With a group of Tal-Vashoth that took residence in the Wounded Coast. They had at least one Saarebas.
- During the quest Shepherding Wolves, where Hawke escorted a Saarebas, named Ketojan by the Chantry sister Petrice, outside of Kirkwall.
- During the Demands of the Qun, the Arishok unleashes his remaining Saarebas upon Kirkwall.
- Among the Tal-Vashoth residing within Mountainside Path there are Saarebas.
Dragon Age: Redemption
Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Cone of Lightning
- Electrical Field
- Lightning Ball
- Cold: very weak
- Electricity: normal (immune on Nightmare)
- Fire: normal (immune on Nightmare)
- Nature: very weak
- Spirit: normal
- Immune to Flanking
- Very weak health and armor
- Codex entry: The Qunari - Saarebas
- Codex entry: History of Kirkwall: Chapter 3
- Codex entry: The Risk of Saarebas
- Codex entry: Saarath
- Codex entry: Talisman of Saarebas