- “We aren't judges. Kinslayers, blood mages, traitors, rebels, carta thugs, common bandits; Anyone with the skill and mettle to take up the sword against the darkspawn is welcome among us.”
Riordan is a senior Grey Warden from Orlais. A native Ferelden, "born and bred" in Highever, Riordan joined the Wardens the same time as Duncan, and the two go back a long way. He was also present at Alistair's Joining.
Riordan is first met in Arl Howe's dungeon, where, when his guard is distracted by The Warden, he snaps the guards neck and escapes. He explains that he is a Grey Warden from Orlais, and that he came to Denerim in order to find out what happened at Ostagar, when he was promptly imprisoned and tortured. Afterwards he can be found in Arl Eamon's Estate where you can talk to him about the Grey Wardens and Duncan. He will also tell you about the Grey Warden Vault where you can get items of high quality. He appears later at the Landsmeet where he proposes that Loghain joins the Grey Wardens. Riordan is then met at Redcliffe Castle where he tells Alistair (or Loghain) and The Warden that killing the archdemon will result in the death of whomever strikes the killing blow.
In the Final Battle he helps you take Denerim's gates then leaves to hunt darkspawn. Riordan is then seen dispatching a group of darkspawn on top of a tower. After killing the group, Riordan senses that the archdemon is near and then spots it flying towards him; he takes a running jump off the tower and onto the archdemon's back. He stabs it several times in the back and in an attempt to get rid of him, the archdemon flies into a tower. Just before the archdemon hits, Riordan jumps off the archdemon's back and onto its right wing, stabbing into it. The archdemon starts to fly straight up, making Riordan slide down, cutting open its wing and forcing it to land on top of Fort Drakon. Unfortunately, after his sword passes through the membrane of its wing, Riordan falls to his death, leaving the job of killing the archdemon up to The Warden and Alistair or Loghain.
- "I am Riordan. Senior Grey Warden of Jader. And you... must be Duncan's last recruit. Yes, you match his description."
- "Hello friend, it looks as though you're no worse for wear after your stay at Fort Drakon."
- "I'm glad you made it safely away. I hear Howe's death has brought no small amount of cheer to the city".
- "Be firm in your beliefs, protect people from their own ignorance, and be as loyal as you can to your brothers, even knowing that you'll share their deaths."
- "The Joining binds us to the darkspawn. You know this. If you were to forswear your oath and flee today, you'd find yourself in the Deep Roads or the Blight-lands, given time."
- "We aren't judges. Kinslayers, blood mages, traitors, rebels, carta thugs, common bandits; Anyone with the skill and mettle to take up the sword against the darkspawn is welcome among us."
- "I will make the final blow"
- "Nothing you have done has prepared you for what you face now."
- "You never hear music in the sound of a key turning in a lock until you've been imprisoned."
- "The archdemon has shown itself. The dragon is at the head of the horde".
- "It warms my heart to see such courage. But do not hurry to sacrifice your life so".
- Warden: "Nice moves there, old man."
- Riordan: Perhaps introductions are in order, if only so you never call me that again."
- Riordan: Tell me, do you know why the Grey Wardens are needed to defeat the darkspawn?
- Warden: Because of our skill and ability to sense them?
- Riordan: If that were so, then any skilled warrior would suffice.