The Right of Annulment is the right to purge a Circle of Magi that is ruled irredeemable by ordering the Templars to kill all the mages within a Circle. Divine Galatea first granted it to all the Grand Clerics of the Chantry in 2:83 Glory. However, if there is no Grand Cleric and no immediate successor (Revered Mother) in evidence, Knight-Commanders of the Templar Order has legal authority to use the right.
By the beginning of the Fifth Blight, the right has been invoked 17 times. The right was requested three more times between 9:30 and 9:40 Dragon, and was carried out in at least two of these instances.
Known uses of the Right of Annulment
- 2:83 Glory: The Circle of Magi in Nevarra
- 9:30 Dragon: The Circle of Magi in Ferelden (during Broken Circle). Knight-Commander Greagoir sends a request to the Grand Cleric of Denerim but depending on the the Warden's actions, it can be called off before it is authorized.
- 9:37 Dragon: The Circle of Magi in Kirkwall (during the Battle of Kirkwall)
- 9:40 Dragon: The Cicle of Magi in Dairsmuid, Rivain
- ↑ David Gaider's Forum posts 1 and Forum posts 2
- ↑ Dragon Age: Asunder. Chapter 22. p. 406
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas. p.102.
See alsoCodex entry: The Right of Annulment