Sitting on the western shore of Lake Calenhad, the village of Redcliffe is so named for the reddish hues of the cliffs that tower above it. A path leads up into the hills and across a bridge to an island where the ancient Castle Redcliffe has stood far longer than the village itself.
- 1 Background
- 2 Dragon Age: Origins
- 2.1 Involvement
- 2.2 Places
- 2.3 Quests
- 2.4 Characters
- 2.5 Notable Items
- 2.6 Codex entries
- 2.7 Containers
- 2.8 Special objects
- 2.9 Companion remarks
- 2.10 Party banter
- 2.11 Notes
- 3 Dragon Age: Inquisition
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
Redcliffe is located in the western hills of Ferelden. The village below the castle (and others under Redcliffe's authority) grew until the arling was as powerful a settlement as any teyrnir. Redcliffe Castle is the first and last line of defense for the sole land route into Ferelden and the country has never fallen to any assault that did not first take Redcliffe.
Redcliffe is one of the largest and most prosperous towns in Ferelden, due to its position between Orzammar and Orlais. As such it is a center of foreign trade. Such favorable conditions caused the domain to be named an arling in spite of its small size. The citizens of Redcliffe are primarily fishermen or merchants engaged in shipping dwarven goods from Orlais.
In late autumn the villagers smoke the fish they have caught, to the dismay of visiting merchants.
Dragon Age: Origins
As the Warden approaches the village the first time, they will be greeted by Tomas, a member of the Redcliffe militia. Tomas will then take your party to Bann Teagan, Arl Eamon's brother, in the Chantry. There they discover that the village is under siege from undead creatures spawning from Redcliffe Castle at night. The Villagers ask the Warden and their companions to join them and lead the defense against the animated dead.Later the village is attacked by Darkspawn.
Redcliffe Village continued to expand and grow, establishing a new district east of Redcliffe Castle in the years following the Fifth Blight.
- Blacksmith's Store
- Redcliffe chantry
- General Store
- Kaitlyn's Home
- Dwyn's Home
- Wilhelm's Cottage
- A Missing Child
- A Village Under Siege
- The Arl of Redcliffe
- Last Will and Testament
- Lost in the Castle
- The Attack at Nightfall
The Blackstone Irregulars
The Mages' Collective
Certain Interested Parties
- Tomas – encountered on the bridge when first entering the village; he will bring the Warden to the chantry to speak with Bann Teagan Guerrin; he will also run up to the Warden and ask that they stay and help if they attempt to leave the village prior to completing the quest A Village Under Siege
- Murdock – the Mayor of Redcliffe; he can be found standing at the village square; conversing with him commences the quest A Village Under Siege; while not necessary, it is useful for the Warden to talk to him prior to venturing in the other houses in the village as it is possible to earn an approval from Leliana (+1) depending on what is asked and said
- Ser Perth – encountered in front of the windmill with several knights
- Doomsayer – found near the Blacksmith's Store
- Teagan Guerrin – found near the windmill or in Redcliffe's chantry during A Village Under Siege
- Knight-Commander Harrith – found near the Windmill; is involved in A Gift of Silence and Defending the Collective
- Chanter Farrah – manages the Chanter's Board
- Blackstone Liaison – found outside the Village chantry
- Mages' Collective Liaison – found on the dock at the southern end of the village
- , source: Lloyd's inventory
- for Leliana, source: can be found at the Windmill (near the tree).
- for Sten, source: Chest in Redcliffe Village OR handed directly to the Warden by Dwyn.
- , obtained for free from Bella in the tavern, after you've convinced Lloyd to help defend the village.
- Codex entry: Lake Calenhad, source: 'No Swimming' sign
- Codex entry: Redcliffe, source: entering Redcliffe Village
- Chest (Ferelden, Normal) - locked
- Chest (Ferelden, Elite) - locked
- Wooden Crate (Ferelden, Normal)
- Wooden Crate (Generic, Normal)
- Wooden Crate (Generic, Normal)
- Barrel (Generic, Critter)
- Chanter's Board outside the Village chantry.
- Blackstone Irregulars quest box outside the Village Chantry.
- Mages' Collective bag near the lake.
One of the companions may make interesting remarks at certain spots:
- Shortly after stepping outside the chantry
- Oghren: (belches) "Huh. Surface air."
- Sten: "Is this where humans keep all their wisdom? Your behavior makes much more sense to me now."
- Alistair: (sniffs) "What is that smell? Fish? And something else. Oh... more fish."
- Wynne: "These people don't deserve what has happened to them. We must get to the bottom of this."
- Leliana: "Walking corpses? Do you think it's something in the water?"
- Morrigan: "Ahh, fresh air. 'Twas difficult to breathe within all that self-righteousness crowding the air."
- Zevran: "Ah! What a lovely fishing town! You can almost smell the desperation of local gentry, no?"
- Shale: "Are there pigeons here? I think we should look for them."
- At the cliff's edge anywhere around the mill
- Alistair: "Ah, it's sort of like coming home again. But with more undead."
- Oghren: "What do you think the villagers would say to me taking a dip in the lake naked?"
- Wynne: "Isn't it beautiful? Standing here, you wouldn't know the trouble down in the village."
- Leliana: "Ooh, a windmill. I once took a ride on the sails of a windmill. Didn't turn out well."
- Morrigan: "Yes, yes very lovely. Let us soak in the vista before the massacre begins."
- Zevran: "Hmm. Anyone up for a bit of naked cliff-diving? No?"
- Sten: "Hmph. Defensible enough spot."
- Shale: "I wonder what it must be like to float? Or drown?"
At the following spots, companions may engage in party banter:
- After using the secret passage to enter the castle dungeons
- On the bridge along the cliff
- The boardwalk near the blacksmithy
- Entering the village with Alistair will trigger a conversation about his heritage. Afterward, if you talk to him and his approval is high enough, he'll start the quest Alistair's Family.
- Leaving the village (traveling anywhere other than the Party Camp) without completing the quests Village Under Siege and The Attack at Nightfall will result in the deaths of all the inhabitants except Bann Teagan, who will still take his part in continuing the Arl of Redcliffe quest line.
- The first cottage on the right when you enter Redcliffe Village belongs to Wilhelm Sulzbacher, it's inaccessible by normal means and is a remnant of the original process to acquire Shale before it was added as downloadable content.
- There is a bug in the pcwhich may cause fires to still be present after the quest A Village Under Siege is completed.
- There is a bug where the game will not load at the after the defense of the village from the undead.
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Chaos erupted after the explosion that caused the Breach destroyed the Chantry's peace Conclave. As the brutality of the Mage-Templar War escalated, many hunted rebel mages and apostates congregated to Fiona's refuge in Redcliffe village. Some of these mage refugees were in fact Venatori infiltrators who encouraged an alliance with the Tevinter Imperium as the situation with the mage rebellion grew dire. Grand Enchanter Fiona conceded to agree to the alliance with Magister Gereon Alexius when Alexius used time warping magic to manipulate the rebel mages via clinching his seedy deal with the rebel mages when the rebel mages were at their most desperate. Alexius was also a Venatori agent and usurped Redcliffe Castle with the rebel mages aid, banishing Arl Teagan Guerrin. With the mage rebellion's survival now dependent on their alliance with the Tevinter Imperium, Alexius changes the terms of the alliance: from protection and eventual Tevinter citizenship in exchange for indentured servitude to conscription of all the rebel southern mages into military service under his command. He then orders his forces to displace the people of Redcliffe from their homes.Eventually however both the Venatori and the rebel mages vacate Redcliffe Village and life subsides back into normality.
- Connor Guerrin (conditional)
- Revered Mother Eglantine
- Hanley D'Urvain
- Hinterlands Healer
- One-Eyed Jimmy
- Sister Tanner
- In Hushed Whispers
- The Ideal Romance
- The Ballad of Lord Woolsley
- A Healing Hand
- A Common Treatment
- An Advanced Treatment
- A Rare Treatment
- Business Arrangements
- Flowers for Senna
- Vintage: Warden Steed/ Bethany Hawke/ Carver Hawke - search inside the Wheelhouse located near the village's entrance.
- Hero in Every Port (Ballad of Nuggins) - acquired from a book behind One-Eyed Jimmy's shack.
- Behind the Redcliffe Weapons and Upgrades Merchant store front.
- - randomly available at the Redcliffe Armor and Upgrades Merchant for 14212 .
- - available at the Redcliffe Armor and Upgrades Merchant for 1161 .
Codex entry: Culture of Ferelden
- Codex entry: Culture of Ferelden
- Codex entry: Hero in Every Port (Ballad of Nuggins)
- Codex entry: Oculara
- Codex entry: Redcliffe
- Codex entry: Seers and the Allsmet
- Codex entry: The Annulment at Dairsmuid
- Codex entry: The Crows and Queen Madrigal
- Codex entry: The Troubles of a Chantry Scholar
- ps3pc The guard at the gate into Redcliffe may run up to the path toward the Inquisitor or rebuke the Inquisitor upon first visiting Redcliffe village, however the fade rift may not spawn demons, even if Val Royeaux has been visited. Loading from the previous save point may fix this issue.
- There is an inaccessible bag atop some rocks behind the wall across from where Sister Tanner is located.
- There is a district in the UK city of Bristol called Redcliffe, also named after the red sandstone cliffs that line the south side of the Floating Harbour. There is a similar district in the north of Brisbane, Australia.