Reavers are warriors who use blood magic to give themselves power. It is believed that like blood magic, humanity learned how to harness this ability through Demons. To become a Reaver one must traditionally drink the blood of a dragon in a ritual, similar to the Joining. Alternatively, wyvern blood may be used instead of a dragon's to achieve the same effect in the Reaver ritual.
Background[edit | edit source]
Reavers are warriors who have unlocked a new level of control over their bodies. They command this untapped energy from deep within blood and bone. The Reaver path however is a double edge sword. The Reaver specialization trades pain for strength, by channeling their own life force into raw power and stealing the life from their foes. Reavers terrorize their enemies, feast upon the souls of their opponents and become more powerful as they begin to die. It is not so easy, however, to learn this gift, as it comes from the ritually prepared blood of a dragon.
Known reavers[edit | edit source]
- Brogan Dace
- King Calenhad Theirin (according to the Qunari)
- Hawke (conditional)
- The Inquisitor (conditional)
- Iron Bull (says he is not a true Reaver)
- Sten (during The Darkspawn Chronicles)
- The Warden (conditional)
- The Warden-Commander (conditional)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When Kolgrim hands the Warden the potion that unlocks the specialization, he states that the potion was made of wyvern blood, not dragon - although he may have simply used the word as a synonym. However, given that the wyverns are lesser cousins to dragons, it is possible that all species within the Dragon family are capable of unlocking reaver skills.
- If the Inquisitor becomes a Reaver then Cassandra informs them the Pentaghast family used to be known for their Reavers. According to legend, the Reavers developed dragon-like attributes and terrible tempers, often killing their entire families. The tales may be exaggerated, but she considers it likely the stories are based on truth. Nyree, a reaver, is able to adopt a frightening appearance with dragon like qualities, suggesting there is some truth to the stories.
- The term "reaver" is an archaic term for one who despoils, plunders, bereaves, or takes with violence. This may be a reference to both the taking of another life or flesh or the sacrifice of one's own, as described in game.