The quest becomes available at 50% friendship or rivalry.
Speak to Merrill at her home in Lowtown. Even with the Arulin'Holm in her possession, Merrill is still unable to repair the Eluvian. Sad for the death of Pol, she feels unwanted by those close to her; Hawke then calms her down. Confident, Merrill is grateful to Hawke for his/her support, and willing to return the favor.
- Any dialogue option: Merrill: friendship (+10)
- Flirt: Merrill: friendship (+5)
Merrill is frustrated, as the Eluvian, despite her dedication, is still not working. Firm on her belief that the mirror will bring back the glory of the Dalish, she exclaims that she does not need anyone to help her. Regardless of Hawke's response, Merrill is infuriated at them for not giving her the Arulin'Holm; Hawke is forced to leave her home. Unlike most cases, being diplomatic here enrages Merrill the most, and nets more rivalry than picking the humorous or aggressive options (see below). There is also a flirt option available, but Merrill is likewise only angered further by Hawke's attempted affection. If you have maxed out a friendship with Merril and always used the Flirt option in Dialogues with her, when possible, she won´t force you out of her home when you use the Flirt option in the Dialogue with her and no changes occur. She just thanks you and the game goes on. (PS 3)
- Picking both Diplomatic choices nets a total of: Merrill: rivalry (+25)
- Other dialogue options: Merrill: rivalry (+10)
- Flirt: Merrill: rivalry (+5)
- When forced out of Merrill's Home, you will be returned to Lowtown at night, at which point you may immediately be attacked by Dog Lords and Mabari Hounds. If you had Merrill in your party when she forces you out, she will remain in her house and you will be forced to fight the subsequent battle with only your remaining party members.
- ps3pcxbox360 If you have maxed out your friendship with Merrill, she acts as if you gave her the Arulin'Holm, even if you didn't. Conversely, if you have maxed out her rivalry, she will act as if you withheld the Arulin'Holm, even if you gave it to her.
- ps3.I was able to complete this quest early during act 3.I was on a friendship path with merril and the quest appeared in my log after visiting her the first time in act 3.I talked to her gave a response and gained +10 friendship and the quest was completed.
- If this quest is not initiated during the second act, it may appear in your journal during the third act. But you will not be able to complete it.
- During the third act, you can't speak to Merrill. No matter if you are alone or not. This may be due to not being friends or foe with Merrill. You will either have to be full friend or full foe with her. Take her around in quests and make her approve of your actions.
- You can complete the quest by maxing out Merrill's friendship in the console mode