Proving Loyalties is the second quest in the Dwarf Commoner Origin. A large Proving is being held today and the best from the Warrior Caste will compete to win glory and perhaps a place within the Grey Warden ranks. However, Beraht will obviously try to make some profit out of it.
Once Beraht's Favor is concluded, Beraht will give you a new task. If Beraht knows that you didn't kill Oskias or knows that Oskias tried to scam him, he'll also mention that this is the last chance for you. Beraht will then say that he has put a lot of money on a young fighter, Everd, that he will defeat Mainar in the Proving. However Mainar is an accomplished veteran so Everd has little chance of beating Mainar. For that reason he wants you and Leske to enter the Proving Grounds and slip a drug onto Mainar's water basin which, if Mainar drinks it, will make him less effective on the field and give an advantage to Everd. He will also repeat his threat that he has put a lot of money on this and your is hanging on the outcome of this task.
Once he finishes, he will give you a Proving Pass; with this, the Proving Grounds is now available to be accessed. He also give the Drug which will be used on Mainar. Touching the stone carving facing the entrance will yield Codex entry: Dwarven Faith. Among the spectators is Duncan, with whom Leske will dare you to converse. Speaking with Duncan yields Codex entry: Duncan, Codex entry: The Grey Wardens, Codex entry: Darkspawn, and Codex entry: The Blights. Everd's quarters are located in the only accessible combatant area.
Everd and Mainar
Upon entering his quarters you find Everd drunk and taking a nap, unable to wake up after his drinking. Leske then repeats his warnings about what will happen if they fail. You will decide (or Leske will convince you) to equip Everd's armor and win the Proving in Everd's name. There is no alternative. You will also automatically receive the Fight Schedule. In this conversation, however, you can choose to:
- Abstain from poisoning the water and win without cheating.
- Ask Leske to do the poisoning, by distracting Mainar while he does so (as either Everd or yourself).
- If you pretend to be Everd, you should just speak with Mainar long enough while Leske puts the drug on his water basin. Otherwise, you should pretend to be a fan which, even if the persuasion choice isn't picked, as long as the conversation about his past campaigns holds long enough, Leske will manage to do his task.
- Poison Mainar's water yourself while Leske is checking for the guards (as either Everd or yourself).
- You will need to pass a persuade check. If you are pretending to be Everd, you will have to persuade him that he needs to go and speak to the Proving Master, otherwise you'll need to persuade him that you are here to replace the water. The latter option will also make Mainar give you a tip of 5 (even if he mentions three in the dialogue).
Everd's armory includes the following plot items, which cover all melee weapon styles:
- Everd's Armor
- Everd's Gloves
- Everd's Boots
- Everd's Helm
- Everd's Sword
- Everd's Axe
- Everd's Mace
- Everd's Shield
None of his gear has a strength requirement. The Dwarf Commoner will be regarded as Everd, as long as you have Everd's Armor and Everd's Helm equipped.
Additionally, Everd's gear will be taken away from you at the end of the battle; you are unable to sell it before that as Leske will stop you from walking out of the Proving Grounds.
Once the situation with Mainar is dealt with, in any way, you'll hear the Proving Master calling the fighters Everd and Mainar to make the final preparations before their battle starts. If Mainar's water basin was successfully poisoned, his speech before the fight will be incoherent. Proceed to the arena, and you will be pitted against three warriors:
- Adalbo: A warrior who wields a battle axe, and uses Mighty Blow and Berserk. Adalbo is the last year's Journeyman Division champion.
Unlike the other fighters, Lenka will fight to the death as it is her final fight before her blooding is complete and is fully accepted within the Silent Sisters, making her a slightly stronger opponent. Once she is killed, the Proving Master will start announcing the final round when Everd awakes from his drunken stupor and runs into the arena apparently thinking he is late for the Proving, as the Proving Master mentions his name, only to realize that an impostor is dressed in his armor.This prompts Mainar to identify Everd as the person who just entered the ring while the Proving Master orders you to remove your helmet in order to reveal your identity. Once you remove the helmet and it is revealed that you are a casteless dwarf, there is an angry outburst from the Proving Master and the other watchers which ends only when the Proving Master orders your arrest for defiling the sacred constitution of the Provings.
The Dwarf Commoner takes some of the guards down before losing their senses. The Proving Loyalties quest is ended and Captured starts.