- “This is a Glory Proving, fought under the watchful eyes of the Paragons of Orzammar for our honored guests, the Grey Wardens.” ―Proving Master
Proving Loyalties is the second quest in the Dwarf Commoner Origin.
Beraht gives you a Proving Pass; with this, the Proving Grounds is now open to you. Touching the stone Carving facing the entrance will yield Codex Entry: Dwarven Faith. Among spectators is Duncan, whom Leske will dare you to converse. Speaking with Duncan yields Codex Entry: Duncan, Codex Entry: The Grey Wardens, Codex Entry: Darkspawn, and Codex Entry: The Blights. Everd's quarters is located in the only accessible combatant area.
Unfortunately, Everd is quite drunk and unable to fight. You will decide (or Leske will convince you) to don Everd's armor and win the Proving in Everd's name. In this conversation, you must choose to:
- Poison the Mainar's water yourself by (temporarily) directing Mainar to some other place (as either Everd or yourself)
- Order Leske to do the poisoning, by distracting Mainar while he does so (as either Everd or yourself)
- Abstain from poisoning the water and win by skill (and Everd’s relatively better gear) alone
Once your decision is made, follow it through until Leske announces that the Proving is about to begin. If you choose not to poison Mainar, the Proving will begin as soon as the conversation concerns Everd ends (and Mainar's room will be inaccessible once you've decided against using the drug). Proceed to the arena, and you will be pitted against three warriors, in this order:
- Mainar - fights with a mace and shield
- Adalbo - fights with a battle axe, uses Berserk
- Lenka - a Silent Sister dual-wielding blades
Enjoy the conversation after Lenka has fallen.
Everd awakes from his drunken stupor and runs into the arena apparently thinking he is late for the Proving, only to realize it was won by an impostor dressed in his armor. This prompts The Warden to remove his/her helmet and be taken into custody by the guards. The Warden will also be elevated to level 2.