Proving Loyalties is the second quest in the Dwarf Commoner Origin. The Warrior Caste is holding a Proving today. Beraht has lots of coins riding on the young fighter Everd and wants you to make sure he wins. Beraht gave you a drug to use on Mainar, Everd's opponent.
Beraht gives you a Proving Pass; with this, the Proving Grounds is now open to you. Touching the stone carving facing the entrance will yield Codex entry: Dwarven Faith. Among spectators is Duncan, with whom Leske will dare you to converse. Speaking with Duncan yields Codex entry: Duncan, Codex entry: The Grey Wardens, Codex entry: Darkspawn, and Codex entry: The Blights. Everd's quarters is located in the only accessible combatant area.
Unfortunately, Everd is quite drunk and unable to fight. You will decide (or Leske will convince you) to don Everd's armor and win the Proving in Everd's name. In this conversation, you must choose to:
- Poison the Mainar's water yourself by (temporarily) directing Mainar to some other place (as either Everd or yourself)
- Order Leske to do the poisoning, by distracting Mainar while he does so (as either Everd or yourself)
- Abstain from poisoning the water and win by skill (and Everd’s relatively better gear) alone
Everd's armory includes a greatsword, a mace, an axe, and a round shield, covering all melee weapon styles. None of his gear has a strength requirement. It will be taken away from you at the end of the battle and you can't sell it before that: Leske will stop you from walking out of the Proving Grounds.
Once your decision is made, follow it through until Leske announces that the Proving is about to begin. If you choose not to poison Mainar, the Proving will begin as soon as the conversation concerning Everd ends (and Mainar's room will be inaccessible once you've decided against using the drug). Proceed to the arena, and you will be pitted against three warriors:
- Mainar - fights with a mace and shield, uses Shield Defense and Shield Pummel.
- Adalbo - fights with a battle axe, uses Mighty Blow and Berserk.
- Lenka - a Silent Sister candidate, dual-wields blades, her skills limited to Precise Striking.
Enjoy the conversation after Lenka has fallen.
Everd awakes from his drunken stupor and runs into the arena apparently thinking he is late for the Proving, only to realize it was won by an impostor dressed in his armor. This prompts The Warden to remove his/her helmet and be taken into custody by the guards. The Warden will also be elevated to level 2.
It is possible for certain installed mods to prevent you from putting on the helmet. It is likely to be the No Armor Hack mod.