The Loop (Games)
Do you like this video?
Overwhelm is a creature ability in Dragon Age: Origins.
Information[edit | edit source]
- This talent generates an auto-hit.
- The target is incapacitated and hit several times, each for normal attack damage from the attacker.
- It is generally activated by the AI when the target dips to 50% or less health, as this is the default tactic for creatures with Overwhelm of any type. In Awakening, enemies would use this ability even when the target is at full health.
- Can be interrupted by effects that have higher animation priority, including knockdown, paralyze, root (Pinning Shot), draining (Crushing Prison), "heavy impact" (Mighty Blow), and fear.
Used by[edit | edit source]
- Bears: Great Bear and Bereskarn
- Deepstalkers: Deepstalker leader and Deepstalker matriarch
- Children: All variations
- Dragons: Dragons and Drakes
- Dogs: Dogs and Alpha Dogs
- Sand stalkers: Sand stalker leader
- Spiders: All variations, except Spiderlings and Giant spiderlings
- Werewolves: All variations, including Swiftrunner and Gatekeeper
- Wolves: All variations, including Witherfang
- Shrieks: All variations, including Shriek (thrall)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This ability can fail to execute properly in some cases due to obstructed line of sight.
- Overwhelm only affects humans, elves, dwarves, Qunari, hurlocks, and genlocks. All classes with Overwhelm are immune to its effect. A shapeshifted mage, Shale, and Dog are immune to Overwhelm.
- Several enemies in a group can easily chain-Overwhelm against a solo character, which may be lethal for units with little armor, and very annoying and time consuming for highly armored characters, as openings to counterattack are few, short-lived, and far between. This threat is greatest when facing a large group of Shadow werewolves, as they can Overwhelm a defenseless party member from Stealth, evading countermeasures.
- This attack cannot be countered or mitigated by Misdirection Hex, as it does not need to confirm attack result.
- Some abilities grant a target the "damage ward" effect which makes the target immune to damage. This effect completely negates Overwhelm. These abilities include Force Field, Strength of Stone, and Carapace after being upgraded by Bulwark of the Ages.
- Some modal abilities apply on the character a special effect which has higher animation priority than Overwhelm. This means the character cannot be interrupted by Overwhelm when any of these abilities is active. These abilities include Captivating Song, Unending Flurry, and Reaving Storm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.