The Mortalitasi are a group of mages in Nevarra who wield considerable political power and influence. Popularly referred to as "Death Mages", they are responsible for the mummification of the bodies of the Nevarran elite.
The order was founded by a Tevinter mage named Vitus Fabria, who was a personal adviser of Caspar Pentaghast. According to a Nevarran belief, when a soul of the dead crosses the Fade, it displaces a spirit. Based on that, the Mortalitasi believe that mummifying corpses provides a safe host for the displaced Fade spirits. The Mortalitasi draw wisps rather than intelligent spirits across the Veil.This school of thought is prominent in modern-day Nevarra, but viewed as barbaric by other nations in Thedas.
The Mortalitasi are linked to the royal family by blood, and it is common for Nevarran nobility to employ members of this order as advisers. The order studies death extensively, and its members are known to experiment with necromancy. It is not yet known if it is in the order's power to decide which corpse would have the honor to be perserved in the Grand Necropolis, a city preserved for the dead.
Even though Mortalitasi are well-respected within the kingdom, mages outside Nevarra fear them and there are beliefs that they are actually a death cult performing macabre rituals in the Grand Necropolis.
Markus Pentaghast, the current ruler of the Nevarra, is an aged man of weak health and uncertain sanity. His rule has been condemned by those who claim his Mortalitasi advisers are ruling through him, much as Ionas, whom the Pentaghast family deposed, did long ago.
Notable Mortalitasi Edit
- Earnest Artelli - Prelate of the Order of Mortalitasi in 7:45 Storm
- Rodomonte van Heigl - Senior member of the Mortalitasi 
- Vestalus Pentaghast - Prelate of the Mortalitasi as of 9:12 Dragon, Uncle to Anthony and Cassandra Pentaghast
- Viuus Anaxas
See also EditCodex entry: Exhuming Bodies by Moonlight Walking Death
The well-worn hilt bears the marks of the Nevarran Mortalitasi. The order makes an art of mummification, and their tools are imbued with magicks that blur the moment between life and death, though death is no less certain.
Requires: Level 17
+21% Armor Penetration
10% chance to apply Walking Bomb for 5 seconds, with detonation of 50% weapon damage Deathward
This staff is marked with symbols that loosely translate to "Ever forward, ever deathward." It was the motto of a Mortalitasi sect that saw popularity during the formative years of the Nevarran fascination with death. Its members are said to be "The First," though whether in research or in application is lost to history.
Requires: Level 11
Damage: 46-47 Cold
On Hit: Heal 1% of maximum health
- Sidony - a Mage raised in secret by a Mortalitasi mage and trained in their arcane techniques but not a member herself
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, pp. 53, 56
- ↑ According to Solas in a dialogue about the Necromancer specialization.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 104
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 53
- ↑ per the description of Earnest Reprisal
- ↑ Codex entry: Spellbinder