Solas has learned of an artifact in the Hinterlands that he wishes to study.
The player will begin Measuring the Veil by going down the east road out of the Crossroads in the Hinterlands and taking a right at the fork. Solas will prompt the Inquisitor into looking into some nearby elven ruins for an artifact that may help prevent veil tears.
Upon arriving at the ruin, the party will encounter a Dalish mage named Mihris fighting a demon. The demon should be weakened considerably as the party gets closer, if Mihris doesn't finish it off entirely. The player has the following options:
Once the blockage is removed, a lesser shade and two wraiths will spawn just inside. Follow one of the two sets of stairs into a larger chamber. In this main chamber, the party will encounter two lesser shades and two wraiths. After the battle, the party will discover the elven artifact: a veil-measuring device, which will strengthen the veil when activated. Solas Slightly Approves upon its activation. At this point, if Mihris is with the party, she will discover something near the artifact. Speak to her, and the player will have the following options:
- If the Herald is Dalish there will be an option, "Please, I need it." The Herald says, "Mana. Ma halani," and appeals to Mihris as a fellow Dalish. She hands over an Amulet of Power and Solas Approves. If Sera is in the party, Sera Slightly Disapproves.
- If the Inquisition perk Arcane Knowledge has been taken, an option to convince Mihris that she doesn't have the knowledge to use it properly will be available. She hands over the Amulet of Power and Solas Approves.
- Ask Solas to persuade Mihris. She hands over the Amulet of Power and Solas Approves.
- Take it by force. Mihris turns hostile and you must kill her to get the Amulet of Power. If she is in the party, Cassandra Slightly Disapproves. There is no approval change for Solas with this option.
It should be noted that Mihris is Level 16. She only has ~2800 HP and 24 armor rating, but her electricity spells can one-shot low level characters (4–5), even on Casual difficulty.
Before leaving the cave, return to the entrance and find the Veilfire brazier. Carry a torch to the wall to the left of the artifact and examine the rune to acquire the fire rune schematic.
- 44 XP
- 40 influence
- Amulet of Power (Solas only)
- Solas must be in the active party to complete the quest. If the cave is approached without him, Mihris will not be there. The cave can still be entered and looted, but no demons or the elven artifact will spawn.
- From now on, if Solas is in the active party when an elven artifact is activated, Solas Slightly Approves. You are also rewarded 44 XP and 40 Influence.
- If Mihris is ignored or told to leave, the Amulet of Power for Solas cannot be acquired.
- The interactions between Mihris and Solas do not seem to be friendly on Solas' part. Should the player (as a non-Dalish) inquire into Mihris' purpose, she will answer that she is in service of her clan. She noticed the Breach and decided to do something about it. She will claim that she knows more about magic than a Shemlen, in which Solas will comment "Ma harel, da'len". Mihris responds fearfully to this as the comment can be translated to mean that she was deceiving the party. She will also refer to Solas as a "flat-ear."
- Solas's 'threat' loosely translates to 'My Deception Child.'