Perform three major upgrades to Skyhold.
- Recipe: Skyhold Garden – A Greener Garden
- Recipe: Courtyard Upgrade – A Better Courtyard
- Recipe: Main Watchtower – A Superior Tower
Certain upgrades may be synchronized across playthroughs using the Golden Nug.
- Obtain the recipes
- Fulfil the quotas and craft the required item at a requisition table
Skyhold Garden Edit
Once the required requisition item is crafted, you make your choice at the upgrade marker in Skyhold's garden, next to the well:
– Reverence and Reflection –
- Upgrades the garden to a chantry, bringing hope to all who seek it. A functional upgrade that brings a potential resource gain from the inspired, including gold from tithes.
- A cosmetic upgrade to the garden.
- The Chantry Banner crown.
- The war table operation Eyes of the Maker, if Champions of the Just was completed.
- The war table operation The Archives of Montfort, if In Hushed Whispers was completed.
- The war table operation Watcher in the Wings, available after completing Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts.
- Note: Despite its description, the Chantry Garden does not produce extra resources or gold for the Inquisitor's use.
– Utility and Comfort –
- Upgrades the garden by committing the space to simple greenery and cultivation. A functional change that allows more herbs to be harvested.
- A cosmetic upgrade to the garden.
- Four additional seed planters (combined with the original two for a total of six) to use for herb harvesting.
- Note: Visually there is no real difference between the before and after of this upgrade; most noticeable is the addition of the extra herb pots.
Courtyard Upgrade Edit
Once the required requisition item is crafted, you make your choice at the upgrade marker on the stairs to Skyhold's main hall:
– Caring and Support –
- A cosmetic upgrade that declares the Inquisition's promise to be both welcoming and protective for all who seek its support.
- A new building next to the quartermaster's office that is used as an infirmary.
– Skill and Dedication –
- A cosmetic upgrade that declares the Inquisition's investment in the recruitment and training of its soldiers, so that all who wish to fight are put to their best use.
- A practice ground positioned between the tavern and the main stairs that lead up to the hall. Soldiers are seen sparring in the ring.
Main Watchtower Edit
- See also: Gallery
Once the required requisition item is crafted, you make your choice at the upgrade marker on the battlements, east of Cassandra's place near the armory (take the stairs, here):
– Cunning and Influence –
- A cosmetic upgrade that declares the Inquisition's commitment to careful magical study. Skyhold's mage tower will be the envy of any Circle.
- Turns Skyhold's northernmost tower into a Mage Tower.
- Unlocks the Circle of Magi Banner Crown.
– Strength and Preparation –
- A cosmetic upgrade that shows the commitment to the utility of vigilance. The tower becomes a templar hold to rival any in southern Thedas.
- * Turns Skyhold's northernmost tower into a Templar Tower.
- * Unlocks the Templar Order Banner Crown.
Choose one option from each of the three upgrades to complete the collection.
- 200 Influence
- Regardless of whether the courtyard has been upgraded with the infirmary, the practice ground or not at all, the infirmary is mentioned in several comments and dialogues by various inhabitants of Skyhold.
pc Upon choosing your garden upgrade, Codex entry: Skyhold Garden automatically unlocks and a scroll appears on the well. Interacting with the scroll grants XP for both the Chantry Garden and Herb Garden. However, the scroll only contributes to the Patron of the Arts song collection if you choose the Herb Garden. Purchasing the codex from Willvan afterwards does not update the collection either so it appears the song is not available if you choose the Chantry Garden.
It should be noted, however, that the collection can still be completed if every other available song in the game is found/unlocked.