Lost to the Curse is a side quest that begins in the Dalish Camp. Athras's wife, Danyla, was infected by the werewolf disease. Zathrian says she is dead but will not allow Athras to see her body. Athras believes that she is still alive, but has become a werewolf. He hopes you find her when you venture out into the forest.
If the Warden is not of Dalish Elf Origin, Athras will be reluctant to share the reasons why Zathrian has forbidden him from entering the forest. However with enough Coercion (two points are required), he will be convinced to share his trouble.
- The Warden can complete this quest even if his/her Coercion score is not high enough to receive it from Athras in the first place by talking to Danyla.
- If you tell Athras that you don't have time to be a search party then you do not get this quest from him (but you can still get it by talking to Danyla).
Danyla is found in the East Brecilian Forest, in between the two entrances from the West Brecilian Forest, closer to the Northern passage. A pack of Werewolves (including Rabid ones) is just North of her, while Wild sylvans are found on the passage between the Southern entrance and her position. Danyla's dialogue will present the Warden with two options:
- Agree to kill her
- Refuse to kill her
- Danyla will attack the party, forcing them to kill her anyway
Danyla will drop a Scarf, which gives the Warden more options:
- Return the Scarf to Athras, saying either that she died from the curse or that it's too horrible.
- He will give a reward
- See bug below.
- He will give a reward
- Trade the Scarf to the Mad Hermit
- The Warden can still tell Athras about Danyla's fate, completing the quest, and -based on a Coercion check- even obtain the same reward
Athras reward is Athras's Pendant, which can also be traded to the Mad Hermit.
If you chose to side with the werewolves and kill the Dalish while this quest is in progress, Athras will also attack the Wardens and werewolves, forcing them to kill him. If this is the case, your Journal shall say you have completed the quest, but also say, "Athras has died, his hopes with him."
If you side with the Werewolves, (but do not kill the Dalish) while this quest is in progress, instead curing the curse, Athras will tell you that finding Danyla is now up to him. The quest will be completed but you will not receive any reward.
If you don't talk with Danyla and lift the curse on the werewolves, Danyla will disappear. If you tell Athras that you didn't find her, he refers to the lifted curse and also tells you about him finding Danyla himself. The quest will be completed, but you won't receive any reward.
Talking to Athras
If your Warden is willing to help, i.e. said "I'll see what I can do." after offering to attempt to get the current Keeper to tell him what really happened or tell him that you're sorry:
If you attempt to get the current Keeper to tell him what really happened or that you're sorry and then tell him to forget his idea for a reward:
If you tell him you don't have time to be a search party:
Talking to Danyla
If you agree to kill Danyla:
If you try to leave Danyla without killing her:
When reporting to Athras
- If the Warden mentions that Danyla "sends her love":
- If the Warden chooses "It... it's too horrible to repeat... so awful", followed by "No, this has been too fun":
- If the Warden started this quest with Danyla (Athras didn't tell you about Danyla) and you tell him you will tell him everything if he compensates you (he gives you the amulet) and then you leave without telling him anything:
A pendant made from polished walnut wood, carved to look like a pair of circling hawks.
4% spell resistance