Leliana is an Orlesian bard who came to the village of Lothering to become a Lay Sister of the Chantry. In Dragon Age: Origins, Leliana is a possible companion and a romance option for either male or female Warden. She can also teach the bard specialization. In the Leliana's Song DLC, she is the player-controlled protagonist. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, she serves as the Inquisition's spymaster and as an advisor to the Inquisitor.
- 1 Background
- 2 Involvement
- 3 Quests
- 4 Romance
- 5 Gifts
- 6 Statistics
- 6.1 Dragon Age: Origins
- 6.2 Leliana's Song
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Codex entries
- 9 Note texts
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Bugs
- 12 Gallery
- 13 References
Leliana was born in Orlais, and though she is culturally Orlesian, her mother was Fereldan and so she considers herself as such. Leliana's mother, Oisine, was a servant of Lady Cecilie Vasseur, an Orlesian noble. One of Leliana's earliest memories is the scent of her mother's linen dress as they held hands on the terrace of an Orlesian villa with a view of the Waking Sea and gardens of sweet orange and lavender. Though Leliana is uncertain if this powerful memory is real or not, she cherishes the image of her Fereldan mother.
Following the Fereldan victory in the Rebellion, Oisine followed Lady Cecilie back to Orlais. When Leliana's mother died, shortly after her fourth birthday, she was raised by Cecilie (though she did not likely legally adopt her), and in her care Leliana learned much about the royal court and Orlesian culture.
Oisine's death cast a pall over Leliana's normally sunny disposition, however, and in an effort to cheer the girl her new guardian gave her whatever she asked for; Leliana only ever wanted books. As a result, she quickly developed an obsessive interest in Orlesian and Fereldan stories, ballads and songs, as well as any tales she could learn from Cecilie's elven servants. Tutors were soon called for by Lady Cecilie to foster Leliana's passion. Leliana often practiced her dancing on the stone terrace of Cecilie's villa on the Waking Sea, as well. 
At sixteen, Leliana made her first trip to Val Royeaux, to attend a soiree with Lady Cecilie. There she met and was impressed by Marjolaine, a wealthy widow and patroness of the arts. Marjolaine began calling upon the aging Lady Cecilie shortly after the soiree, who often left Leliana to entertain the dazzling visitor.
Leliana was fascinated by Marjolaine's worldliness and daring, and the two became close friends. On a hunting trip, Marjolaine gave Leliana her first bow. In teaching her how to use it during that trip, Leliana wounded (but did not kill) a hart the hunters were tracking. Too upset to end its suffering, Leliana watched in amazement as Marjolaine efficiently killed the animal.
That same summer, Leliana visited Marjolaine at her Val Royeaux estate, and the widow began to teach her way of the bard: manipulation, subterfuge and combat. Always her teaching was subtle and disguised, easily assumed to be merely a lady's idle amusements.
In Marjolaine's company, Leliana met Tug and Sketch, and traveled with the pair across Thedas. Leliana's enjoyment of the freedom of these days dovetailed Marjolaine's increasing fear of her student's growing skill and potential to strike at her. Consequently, Marjolaine struck first and had the trio framed, arrested and abused.
With the aid of Orlesian Revered Mother Dorothea, Leliana escaped her captors. She and Sketch, as well as a Fereldan named Silas Corthwaite, sought revenge against them and Marjolaine. Upon securing a new, if uncertain life, Leliana found purpose in the Chantry and Dorothea's calm advice.In memory of Tug, who perished during their arrest, Leliana toasts his memory every year with Antivan plum brandy, pouring some out as well and intoning "Atrast tunsha, salroka." Her relationship with Sketch remains rocky due to Leliana's embellishment of the past, though she seeks his aid to translate messages left by Tug in dwarven.
Ultimately, Leliana ended up in the village of Lothering. To atone for her sins and to hide from Marjolaine, who survived the original encounter, Leliana joined the chantry there as a lay sister, becoming intensely religious.
There, her confession of a vision from the Maker, and discovery of an impossible white rose on a dead bush in Lothering, both made her an outcast and spurred Leliana's passion to aid the Warden in the Fifth Blight. No one could shake her determination to stop this evil and bring hope to the world.
After the Blight, Leliana answered a summons from Divine Justinia V, her old friend Dorothea who had now become the head of the Andrastian Chantry. Returning to Val Royeaux, Leliana agreed to become her Left Hand and spymaster. Leliana assumed mastery over a coterie of her own agents, and once again reinvented herself and resumed the role of bard that Marjolaine had trained her for.In this role, Leliana investigated rumors of mage rebellion in Kirkwall and suspicions of Qunari activity at Chateau Haine. Furthermore, Leliana served Dorothea's will in attempting to quell the Mage-Templar War as well as brewing elven uprising. To this day, even despite the love of her mother Oisine, the nurturing presence of Lady Cecilie and the salvation of Dorothea, Leliana understands that Marjolaine shaped her deeply, in both speech and action. As with Marjolaine, Leliana's enemies continue to move against her, seeking out weaknesses to exploit.
Marjolaine and Leliana, along with Tug and Sketch, arrive on a secret mission to Denerim. Marjolaine gives Leliana various assignments around the city, which she completes with ease and reports back to her. Marjolaine then informs her of another assignment: to plant incriminating documents at the Arl of Denerim's Estate. Leliana infiltrates the estate with Tug and Sketch, witnesses Marjolaine flirt with the guard commander Harwen Raleigh, and plants the documents in the master's bedroom. Her curiosity gets the better of her, however, and upon taking a closer look at the documents, she discovers that they bear the seals of the Orlesian military.
Returning to their hideout, Leliana confronts Marjolaine about this apparent treason, and her mentor agrees to go back to the estate and retrieve the documents. The alarm is raised, however, and Leliana is forced to fight her way out. Upon escaping, Leliana and her companions are betrayed by Marjolaine, who stabs her lover and leaves them at the mercy of Raleigh's guards. Utterly broken, Leliana almost gives in to despair when an unseen benefactor provides her with the means to escape from her cell. Leliana finds and frees Sketch but discovers that Tug had been tortured to death; another prisoner they free, Silas Corthwaite, decides to accompany them to seek vengeance against Raleigh.After escaping, the band is brought to Lothering by Leliana's benefactor, who reveals herself as Revered Mother Dorothea. Dorothea explains that the Orlesian documents Leliana had seen originally belonged to her and asks her to retrieve them. Leliana and her companions chase after Marjolaine and Raleigh and finally corner them on an unnamed coast. After dealing with Raleigh, Leliana once again confronts Marjolaine. She then returns the documents to Dorothea and joins the Chantry as a lay sister, having found faith in her ordeal.
Dragon Age: Origins
Leliana first encounters the Warden at the Dane's Refuge tavern in Lothering. When the Warden is set upon by soldiers loyal to Loghain Mac Tir, Leliana assists the Warden in the skirmish. Following the fight, she explains that the Maker had sent her a vision which meant that she must aid the Warden in their quest to end the Blight. Despite the Chantry's claim that the Maker does not communicate directly with individuals, Leliana is firm in her belief. This causes Alistair to suspect she was mentally unstable, while Morrigan also doubted her sanity.
If Leliana was rejected:
The Warden denies Leliana's request to join their party, though she intercepts them as they left the village and again presses her request. Once again she is denied and so leaves Lothering and the Warden behind.
If Leliana was accepted:
To her great delight, Leliana is accepted into the Warden's party and sets out with them from Lothering, having previously obtained permission from her Revered Mother to do so.
During the quest to recover the fabled Sacred Ashes of Andraste, the Guardian of the Ashes states that the Maker only ever spoke to one mortal, Andraste, and accuses Leliana of inventing her vision. He proposes that she fabricated the tale for attention as she feared her life would become dull in the Chantry when compared to the thrill of a bard's life. Affronted, Leliana makes a flustered denial of the Guardian's accusation.
If Leliana was killed:
Witnessing defilement of the earthly remains of Andraste, Leliana becomes infuriated at the Warden's sacrilege and attacks them. She is slain in the temple at her companion's hands.
If Leliana was intimidated:
Leliana is appalled at the defilement of the Sacred Ashes, but is intimidated out of hostility by the Warden.
Following much discussion with the Warden of her life as a bard, Marjolaine sends assassins to murder Leliana. Upon defeat, the assassins reveal that Marjolaine is in Denerim. Leliana and the Warden thus set out to find her former mentor.
If Marjolaine was killed:
After breaking into her house and killing her guards, Leliana confronts Marjolaine. Knowing that if she was spared, Marjolaine would continue to pursue her for the rest of her days, Leliana kills her old lover, encouraged by the Warden to do so.
If Marjolaine was spared:
Despite the countless injustices she visited upon Leliana, Marjolaine is spared by her old student. She returns to Orlais but made no promise not to seek out Leliana again.
After this event, Leliana has a discussion with the Warden back in camp to discuss her crisis of faith. Leliana begins to question if her new virtuous self was just an attempt to run away from her previous life after her mentor's betrayal, and that the real Leliana is a worldly bard who loves all of the danger, intrigue, and at times even the killing that goes along with that lifestyle. Depending on dialogue choices, the Warden can encourage Leliana to embrace her ruthless Bard lifestyle and Leliana's personality can become much more pragmatic, no longer objecting as vocally to the more morally grey choices her companions make. Or the Warden can reaffirm her faith in the Maker and her new, more virtuous path. The result of which is that she remains unhardened.Leliana is present at the coronation of the new monarch of Ferelden following the death of Urthemiel and the end of the Blight.
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Dragon Age II
Leliana was appointed Left Hand of the Divine by Revered Mother Dorothea, who had been elected Divine Justinia V. The Divine dispatches Leliana to Kirkwall under the pseudonym of "Sister Nightingale", in order to assess whether an Exalted March against the city would be necessary to suppress the conflict between templars and mages. While tracking down a shadowy apostate group known as "Resolutionists", she encounters Hawke and Prince Sebastian Vael in the Viscount's Keep, and asks them to convince Grand Cleric Elthina to flee Kirkwall and seek shelter in the Grand Cathedral of Val Royeaux at the Divine's invitation.Cassandra Pentaghast's interrogation of Varric Tethras, she rendezvouses with the Seeker outside the Hawke Estate. After confirming that Cassandra was unable to locate Hawke, the two agree to return to their other plan.
Dragon Age: Asunder
She encounters Knight Captain Evangeline at a ball held for the Divine and is also present when Rhys, Wynne, Pharamond and Adrian are granted an audience with Justinia upon their return from Adamant Fortress. She restrains Lord Seeker Lambert, preventing him from attacking Rhys.
Leliana participates in the raid on the White Spire in order to free the captured mages, and it is her presence that reveals to Lord Seeker Lambert that Divine Justinia is conspiring against the Templar Order.She later sings at Wynne's funeral.
Dragon Age: The Masked Empire
Leliana, in the capacity of the Divine's representative, meets with Empress Celene I at the University of Orlais to discuss the continued mage-templar tensions. Although she attempts to maintain anonymity, Celene reveals her knowledge of both Leliana and Justinia's identities and past exploits. The empress goes on to demand that the Divine make an official statement on the mage-templar conflict within three weeks, or she will be unable to restrain the overeager nobles at her court from interfering. Leliana agrees to take this proposal to Justinia.Leliana later delivers to Celene the Divine's price for helping to quell conflict between mages and templars: the empress must end the elven revolt in Halamshiral. By doing so Celene would demonstrate the same control over her own affairs that she had demanded of the Divine. Given her adventures alongside elves in the past, Leliana regrets the repressive tactics employed against the elven population, but bids Celene good luck before leaving.
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Leliana joins the Inquisition as its spymaster, and leads the clandestine division responsible for espionage and assassination. She provides an effective alternative when diplomacy or blunt force fail, collecting information, dispatching agents and scouts, and signing her letters with an ominous nightingale sigil that leaves no question of its author. Given all she has gone through chronologically since Leliana's Song, the carefree Bard has changed, and with the responsibilities of the Inquisition, even if Leliana wished to show her softer side she cannot. Leliana is present in-game even if she was (apparently) killed in Origins, revealing that the Warden had struck her down, yet she later woke up alive, and is unsure of how exactly it happened.
Leliana's focus in the Inquisition's War Table is "Secrets." She brings her old friend, the Antivan noblewoman Lady Josephine Montilyet, into the Inquisition. Grieving for the loss of her dear friend, Divine Justinia V, Leliana struggles with a crisis of faith following the tragedy of the Breach. Leliana is perplexed by the Maker's plan and also disillusioned if it required so much of the innocent faithful to be murdered. Leliana and Cassandra Pentaghast interrogated the captured Herald of Andraste in the aftermath of the Breach. Leliana urged Cassandra to calm her temper when dealing with their prisoner since they need the Herald to seal the Fade rifts. Due to the Herald of Andraste's actions in aiding the reborn Inquisition, they were chosen to lead them as their new Inquisitor.
In the wake of the Breach and the death of Divine Justinia V, Leliana had begun investigating all of the late Divine's known enemies. She was scrutinizing Lady Cybile Maronn of Baisne, a minor but exceedingly wealthy noble. Evidence of plots against the Divine led her to socially and politically destroy Lady Cybile despite not being involved with events at the Temple of Sacred Ashes. Lady Cybile's only son, seeking to appease the Inquisition, handed over a significant portion of his mother's assets including the Assassin Argent's contract in order to avoid following his mother's fate.
As the war council assembles, Cassandra and Leliana suggest approaching the rebel mages for help with the Breach. Cullen disagrees, suggesting recruiting the templars instead, fearing that pouring too much magic into the Inquisitor's mark may destroy them all. When asked why she's so invested in the rebel mages, Leliana will reveal she supported the Divine's plan to use the Inquisition to challenge the tenets of the Chantry so that the mages would be treated more fairly. She believes that mages deserve their freedom, in inspiring good rather than dictating it, redemption of past sins, and in radical reform for the Chantry to stamp out inequality for all races and to promote charity.
If the Inquisitor recruited the mages:
Leliana and her group are sent alongside Dorian to eliminate the Venatori and their leader, Gereon Alexius, at Redcliffe Castle, where the mages have made their base of operations, functioning under the guise of the Herald negotiating with the Magister. However, when the Inquisitor and Dorian are accidentally sent one year in the future, where the former's absence had allowed the Elder One to conquer southern Thedas, Leliana is captured and tortured for information on how the Herald received the mark. By 9:42 Dragon, she has also been subjected to experiments on Blight sickness and Blight resistance, presumably in order to cure Alexius's son, Felix. As the Inquisitor finds her in the torture room, Leliana takes advantage of her interrogator's distraction to snap his neck with her legs. These experiences leave her traumatized and cold towards Dorian and the Inquisitor.
When the party confronts Alexius, Leliana murders Felix and helps to delay approaching Venatori and demon reinforcements to buy the Inquisitor and Dorian time to get through the time rift and stop this future from occurring. Just as Dorian manages to reopen the rift, Leliana is overpowered by her attackers and killed. Should the Inquisitor, upon returning to 9:41 Dragon, tell Leliana of her future self's sacrifice, she states that she would do so again.
When the Inquisitor takes control of the fortress of Skyhold, Leliana will spend her free time in the rookery, making it a new home. Leliana is more hardened and is willing to respond to betrayal with vicious reprisal. After the attack on Haven, she also berates herself for the sentimentality she has for her agents, believing they lost Haven because she pulled her agents back when her first lookouts went missing. The Inquisitor can encourage or discourage her sentiments on both accounts.
At any rate, she apologizes to the Inquisitor for letting her emotions get the better of her during their first conversation.
A spirit posing as Divine Justinia V aids the Inquisitor when they come back to the Fade to recover their missing memories. The spirit aids the Inquisitor in finding the truth of how they obtained their mark and also escaping the Fade once again from the Nightmare demon that serves Corypheus. The spirit once again sacrifices itself to weaken the Nightmare but not before asking the Inquisitor to relay a message to Leliana: "I'm sorry. I failed you, too." After Leliana inquires about the spirit and has its message relayed to her, she responds with a solemn "oh" before composing herself and focusing on her duties. In a later conversation with the Inquisitor, she tries to make sense of Justinia's message and the events that led to her death. She believes that it wasn't Justinia who failed her, but she who failed Justinia.
Leliana, along with Josephine and Cullen and their chosen party, will accompany the Inquisitor to the Winter Palace for the quest Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts. There she will advise them to search for the identity of Celene I's arcane advisor.
Late in the game, Leliana receives a posthumous letter from Justinia, directing her to the chantry in Valence, the place where she met Justinia before she was Divine, so she asks the Inquisitor to accompany her. Arriving at the chantry, they are greeted by Sister Natalie. As the Inquisitor finds three hidden mechanisms that unveil a hidden box, Leliana grows suspicious of Natalie, who makes a slip of the tongue, prompting Leliana to put a knife to her throat. She deduces that Natalie was sent by Grand Cleric Victoire, who had secretly disparaged Justinia and is anti-Inquisition, to see what secret Justinia kept hidden. The Inquisitor can either tell Leliana to spare Natalie (if she was told to spare her traitorous spy Butler and that she was right in pulling back her sentries at Haven) or execute her. Remaining silent during the conversation in Haven between Leliana and the Inquisition soldier counts the same as ordering Butler's death. Leliana then opens the box, only to find it empty, with an inscription reading, "The Left Hand should lay down her burden." Justinia was releasing her from her service because she feared she was using Leliana.
Back at Skyhold, Leliana has reflected on Justinia's belief that Justinia had corrupted Leliana by employing her as her Left Hand. If Leliana's personality remains hardened, she embraces the ruthless pragmatist she's become and believes it will benefit the Inquisition. If her personality is softened, Leliana remains true to her compassionate nature and believes she is more than what Justinia made her.
Leliana's pet nug Schmooples appears to have died in the intervening years, and Leliana's new pet nugs Schmooples II and Boulette are being cared for by one of her agents, Sparrow. They also helped to repel an attempt by a rival at her home, intended to discover the Nightingale's secrets.It is possible to have Leliana elected as the new Divine, after Justinia V. If chosen, she will be known as Divine Victoria. She will disband the Circle of Magi and allow mages to rule their own lives, admit non-humans into the Chantry priesthood, ally with the Inquisition and adhere to the principle of service to others. Divine Victoria is controversial from the start, several new sects arise, resisting her reforms and declaring her rule a threat to the faith. Leliana will deal with them depending on her end-game personality and completing her personal quest (see Epilogue (Inquisition) for details). Leliana will oversee the birth of a new Chantry, one that she hopes will unite all the peoples of Thedas.
Dragon Age: Magekiller
Sometime after the Inquisitor first went to the Hissing Wastes, Leliana sends Dorian Pavus and the Bull's Chargers as reinforcements to Marius and Tessa Forsythia to help them defeat Venatori forces in that area.When they return to Caer Bronach, Leliana personally greets them with a new assignment from the Inquisitor. Unfortunately, by the time they arrive at Skyhold, the Inquisitor and their army have already departed for the Arbor Wilds.
Leliana reappears during the events of the Exalted Council, two years after Corypheus' defeat. She appears either as herself or as Divine Victoria. Leliana privately converses with the Inquisitor as they tour the Winter Palace − during which she tells the Inquisitor that she can no longer appreciate its majestic beauty knowing that it was built from the treachery and scheming of power-hungry aspirants (or the suffering of the downtrodden to maintain its splendor if Leliana is Divine). Lastly, Leliana discusses the fate of the Inquisition. Pointing out the fear and ire the Inquisition's influence draws, Leliana advises that the Inquisition should lay down their arms and find new ways to work for the good of Thedas without the use of soldiers and spies. Regardless of what the Inquisitor decides, she tells the Inquisitor that she will be honored to stand beside them. Leliana and her agents continue to support the Inquisition. Though Solas continues to elude her, Leliana relays to the Inquisitor that she has been receiving reports of Sentinel elves being active in the Tirashan. Leliana was the first to notify the Inquisitor of a dead Qunari warrior in the Winter Palace, implicating a Qunari conspiracy and handles the removal of gaatlok barrels meant to assassinate the leaders of southern Thedas.
If Leliana became Divine Victoria:
As Divine Victoria, Leliana sits on the Exalted Council representing the Chantry. Though she prefers to be called Leliana by her friends, Josephine and Cullen can't help but address her in a formal manner such as "Your holiness"- much to Leliana's annoyance.
If made Divine, Leliana institutes further reforms, opening the Chantry to male clerics and allowing Chantry personnel to marry, particularly if she is romanced. Her message of love being the Maker's greatest gift spreads despite opposition.
Leliana also decreed the Canticle of Shartan return to the Canonical Chant, a move that divided Andrastians deeply. If softened, Mother Giselle will note that she believes Leliana has won many allies to her cause through her intelligence and her faith. While if hardened, Giselle will state Leliana is a Divine few would dare disagree with. If Leliana's personal quest is not completed, she will note that she believes that Leliana's voice is not as strong as desired.
If Leliana did not become Divine Victoria:
Leliana continued to act as the Inquisition's spymaster in its final months as an independent organization. During this time, she shared many of her responsibilities with her most trusted agents, including Charter, Rector, and Harding. Many believed that Leliana feared what lay on the horizon and was grooming successors in anticipation of the challenges ahead.
Eventually, Leliana became distant and contemplative, often secluding herself in the rookery with none but her ravens for company. One morning, the residents of Skyhold awoke to a great beating of wings and a vast cloud of ravens blotting out the sky above the fortress. Those who investigated found both the rookery and Leliana's chambers vacant, with only a single message as explanation: "The lyrium sang thought into being. Now time is stale, and the melody is called elsewhere. Until I am needed, I am free."
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
- See Leliana/Romance for a detailed walkthrough on romancing her.
- See Romance: Love Triangles for information regarding simultaneous romances involving both Leliana and another companion.
The Warden's first opportunity to kiss her occurs when her approval reaches "Adore" (71 or higher) and the Warden is not already in a romance with another party member. She starts a conversation in camp with the opening sentence "I enjoy the nights at camp. The night always seems more peaceful, to me. Safer." Nevertheless, she isn't interested in a fling and will only bed the Warden once she's fallen in love with them. She will not fall in love with the Warden until her quest has been completed and her approval rating has reached 91 or higher. To increase her approval, talk to her a lot, listen to what she tells you, be supportive, avoid criticizing her when she talks about the Maker, give her gifts that are personally meaningful to her, do good deeds while she is in the party, and avoid evil acts (or at least avoid having Leliana in the party when performing them).
Although it isn't clearly a romantic advance on the Warden's part, asking "She was special to you, wasn't she?" starts a romance when talking about what happened with Marjolaine during Leliana's personal quest. This happens regardless of what dialogue choices you make after that, even if you don't ask about her current romantic interests. Take care not to select this option if you only want to be friends.
Dragon Age: Inquisition
If Leliana was romanced by the Warden in Origins:
Leliana will comment on them fondly, stating that they are "always in her thoughts" and are "her love". Leliana adds that once the Inquisition is over, she plans to join her Warden lover "for good this time". She will also mention that with the Hero of Ferelden at her side, anything was possible. If the Hero of Ferelden romanced her and died killing the Archdemon, her late love will be a very sensitive subject for her. She eventually notes that the Warden's death was a factor in shaking her faith, reflecting "In that instant, I felt the Maker’s presence grow cold. One moment a cherished child, the next… abandoned."
Following the quest Here Lies the Abyss, conversing with Leliana will unlock the war table operation Contact the Hero of Ferelden. Leliana fears that her love may be vulnerable to Corypheus' sway and wants to alert them, as well as hear from them in their own mission: traveling deep into the west, beyond the power of the Blight, to find a cure for the Calling and return to her. This quest, as she notes, is not just for the Warden but for her as well, as they know how much Leliana has lost in her life.
The mission takes several hours and culminates in a letter from the Warden to the Inquisitor, with a private note for Leliana enclosed. The Warden's letter expresses their love and concern for her, noting in particular that in addition to her wit and skill Leliana's greatest strength is her faith. The letter begs the Inquisitor to help her find the light if she is faltering. Receiving this note, Leliana is comforted to know that they "are still out there, fighting to be with [her]." Likewise, knowing they miss her and are well serves to ease Leliana's mind after the tragedy of the Breach and losing Justinia V.Following the quest Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts, Leliana will receive her personal quest, located at the Valence Cloister. If the Warden is her lover, she will note that they accompanied her there to meet Dorothea, before her ascension to Divine.
If Leliana became Divine Victoria:
Leliana and the Warden make time to meet up as much as possible as of the events of the Trespasser DLC. While some find their openly acknowledged relationship "inappropriate," Leliana maintains that love finds a way, and that Andraste herself had a mortal spouse as well as a divine one. The epilogue cards note that the Warden is frequently seen at her side.
Leliana and the Warden are doing very well, though their duties have often kept them apart in recent years. Leliana looks forward to the world no longer needing the Inquisition and the opportunity to be "selfish" and focus on her relationship, as well as her newfound passion for--and possible future career in--breeding nugs. According to the epilogue cards, the pair reunite as often as possible at Leliana's villa on the Waking Sea (potentially willed to her by Lady Cecilie), and cherish their days together. Both know that trouble is coming.
Leliana prefers gifts with "Andraste" in their name, as well as other symbols of the Chantry. The white flowers called Andraste's Grace work particularly well. She loves shoes, too. Leliana can also be given a pet nug from the Idle Dwarf in Dust Town. It will stay with her throughout the game.
Name Notes Description
Andraste's GraceA small white wildflower, commonly known as Andraste's Grace. Blue Satin ShoesLocated: Old TegrinPowder blue satin shoes with long ribbons that circle the ankle. Gold lace trim and dangling gold charms shaped like puppies add the finishing touches. Bronze Symbol of AndrasteLocated: Lothering chantryA small bronze plate with the symbol of a flame stamped into it. Chantry AmuletLocated: Circle TowerThis amulet is similar to the ones worn by members of the Chantry. The carving on the amulet depicts Andraste's undying flame. Etched Silver SymbolLocated: Ortan ThaigA simple holy symbol, made of etched silver. Golden Symbol of AndrasteAn elegant gold disk suspended from a ribbon that bears the mark of Andraste's flame. Cute NugThe nug's nose twitches as it stares at the world with clear inquisitive eyes. It seems to enjoy being stroked. Silver Sword of MercyLocated: Old TegrinAn ornate silver amulet in the shape of a Sword. Steel Symbol of AndrasteLocated: Genitivi's HomeThis holy symbol is crafted from polished steel and has a severe look to it.
Dragon Age: Origins
Relative attribute weightings on auto-level:
Strength Dexterity Willpower Magic Cunning Constitution 0.6 1.2 0.4 0 1.2 0.6
- Improved Stealing Expert Stealing (level 8) Master Stealing (level 12)
- Improved Combat Training Expert Combat Training (level 10)
Bard Song of Valor Distraction (level 8) Song of Courage (level 11) Rogue Dirty Fighting Dirty Fighting Below the Belt (level 6) Deft Hands Deft Hands Improved Tools Mechanical Expertise (level 12) Archery Pinning Shot Pinning Shot Crippling Shot (level 9) Rapid Shot Rapid Shot Shattering Shot (level 7) Suppressing Fire (level 10)
As you befriend Leliana and gain her approval, she will gain the following additional skills:
Name Benefit Requirement Inspired: Minor Cunning +1 to cunning 25% approval Inspired: Moderate Cunning +2 to cunning 50% approval Inspired: Major Cunning +4 to cunning 75% approval Inspired: Massive Cunning +6 to cunning 90% approval
Leliana starts at level 10:
(1 available point)
(no available points)
(2 available points)
Bard Song of Valor Rogue Dirty Fighting Combat Movement Coup De Grace Below the Belt Deft Hands Improved Tools Dual Weapon Dual-Weapon Training Archery Pinning Shot Rapid Shot
Dragon Age: Origins
- (Sacred Ashes trailer) "The righteous stand before the darkness, and the Maker shall guide their hand."
- "I came to Ferelden and the Chantry because I was being hunted, in Orlais. I walked where the Maker led me and... He has rewarded me for my faith. I found you."
- "There were many lovely young initiates in the Lothering cloister—all of them chaste and virtuous. Ah, it added to their mystique."
- "I love stories far too much to keep them to myself. Everyone should benefit from them, I think."
- (after fighting herself during "The Gauntlet") "Did you see the cruelty on my...on her face? Is that really what I am?"
- (When confronted with floor puzzle) "Oh, this looks fun! I bet we'll have to work together and join hands and sing a happy song to get across!"
- (About 'The Game') "The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed."
- (Prologue) "Do you want to know a secret? This tale of foolish people long ago... I know what happened, and what is true... but I don't know how it should end. Let me tell it one more time, and perhaps together, we will see."
The Masked Empire
Dragon Age: Inquisition
- "Though darkness closes, I am shielded by flame. Andraste, guide me. Maker, take me to your side!"
- "The Chantry dictated where it should have inspired. It spoke of judgement instead of acceptance. It should encourage the good in everyone, rather than rebuke us for our sins. No one should be turned away from our doors. No one is without worth. Whoever you are, whatever your mistakes, you are loved. Unconditionally. 'In your heart shall burn an unquenchable flame.'"
- "The Chantry has committed many injustices. If we're going to change it, why not change the whole thing?"
- "I've known mages. Some of them were better people than me. And yet I'm free and they're not. It's not right."
- Interrogator: "You will break."
- Leliana: "I will die first. Or you will."
- Codex entry: Leliana
- Codex entry: A Letter From Leliana
- Codex entry: Leliana
- Codex entry: Leliana
- Codex entry: "Nightingale's Eyes"
- Codex entry: The Perils of Bard Life
- Codex entry: Leliana and the Last Few Years
- Codex entry: Arboreal Fort
- Leliana was written by Sheryl Chee in Dragon Age: Origins, as well as in Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- In her BioWare's character file, Leliana's appearance is described as: "Red hair, pale, slender."
- She is also described as having strikingly Fereldan features that reflect her heritage.
- Leliana is one of the three companions who appear in the Sacred Ashes trailer. Her CGI model in the trailer is based on adult model Alexandra "Alleykatze" Stein.
- When imagining a single-note scent for Leliana, her writer Sheryl Chee likened her to "sugared roses, incense and candy floss." Chee returned to write her in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- If Leliana is given the Cute Nug, she will name it Schmooples. (To see this while in the party camp, hold down tab on the pc version or left trigger on the console versions to note all names in the vicinity.)
- If Leliana's approval is high enough, it is possible that she will hum a little melody when the player takes control of her.
- If Leliana is hardened, she will be clad in armor during the coronation; however, if she remains unhardened, she will simply wear a dress.
- Statistically, Leliana is the most commonly-picked romance option in Origins.
- Leliana is the companion appearing in the largest number of the series' media.
- If you talk to Bethany Hawke in the chantry in Dragon Age II, she will say, "I miss the Lothering chantry. Sister Leliana told the best stories." In Dragon Age: Inquisition, Leliana comments on how Bethany enjoyed her stories.
- If you talk to Aveline in the chantry in Dragon Age II, she will comment about feeling uncomfortable around chantry sisters due to a "red-haired trickster in Lothering."
- Leliana's most prominent alias by far is "Sister Nightingale".  She is also referred to as "Red" by Iron Bull, and "Shadows of Birds" by Sera. Helsdim Rolfsen may refer to her as a "Winged Trumpeter of Wisdom against the Darkness."
- As a young girl, Leliana was an avid reader, most notably of stories of "lost princes and lady knights". When her supply of tales in the library was exhausted, she turned to other sources for more. 
- As the Left Hand of the Divine, Leliana is considered the "sinister" agent of the Divine working in the shadows, a counterpoint to Cassandra's more knightly position as the Right Hand. When diplomacy or military might fail, she steps in on behalf of the Chantry and the Inquisition.
- Right before Leliana executes Natalie during her companion quest in Inquisition (if that route is taken), Natalie states the words Leliana herself says during the 'Sacred Ashes' trailer for Origins. "The righteous stand before the darkness and the Maker shall guide their hand." However, the final word is not uttered due to her death.
- A paper found in Redcliffe Castle reports that Leliana has the highest resistance to the Blight out of all those experimented upon. The cause of this, however, was not discovered by the Elder One's minions and the issue is not revisited.
- According to Patrick Weekes, Leliana is the character who has the most in common with the Elder One. Both are "burned believers." In fact, Weekes refers to Dragon Age: Inquisition's antagonist as her "dark mirror."
- If the Inquisitor becomes an assassin in Dragon Age: Inquisition Leliana will mention that she once had a friend, named Zevran, who was an assassin himself, referring to the companion in Dragon Age: Origins.
- In the Trespasser DLC, nug breeding and wrangling becomes a hobby of Leliana's, and potentially of The Warden if they romanced her and she is not Divine.
- According to Sheryl Chee, should she wish to do so Leliana might have the resources to track her father down and find out who he is. Whether she wished to do so would be the question.
- One important dialogue option that leads to Leliana's background quest can be lost if you get her approval too high without talking to her. Therefore, do not simply shower Leliana with gifts—talk to her and make sure you choose "I heard that in Orlais, minstrels are often spies" when that option appears. As her approval increases further, you can no longer ask about it. Leliana's background quest requires her to first tell you a lie about her background, and then feel bad and come clean on it. If the question about spies disappears from the dialogue options before you ask it, you will never learn of Leliana's past and you will not get the quest to seek out her former bard master, Marjolaine. Using Feastday Gifts and Pranks is also a useful way to deal with this problem for those still encountering it.
- A female human noble Warden who does not engage in a romance with Leliana and becomes Alistair's queen during the Landsmeet can still get a heartbroken speech from her back at camp on the topic if her approval rating is high. Oddly, it is possible to squeeze a few more approval points out of this dialogue if you are regretful about having to "end it" with Leliana, even if you were never in a romance with her to begin with.
- Similarly, a male human noble who is arranged to marry Anora will also receive the heartbroken speech from Leliana even if they weren’t in a romantic relationship.
- If you give Leliana lots of gifts and have her at 100 approval, in Orzammar's Proving Grounds, when you are in the championship battle and are almost finished, Leliana will blurt out, "Oh thanks, that's wonderful!" as though she has been given a gift.
- When Leliana asks the elven magi Warden about living in the Alienage, there is no option to say that you don't remember the Alienage. This occurs even if you have already established that you remember nothing in the origin story.
- ps3xbox360 In Leliana's Song, if you put a point in Coup De Grace, it will vanish when Leliana levels up. A variation of this occurs on pc as well, where Feign Death can be obtained before losing Coup De Grace, resulting in having the later without the former (ver 1.05).
- If an Awakening or Witch Hunt (instead of Origins) save game is imported in Dragon Age II, the game will not acknowledge an active romance between Leliana and the Warden (and she will not refer to the Warden as "dear to her heart"). This is because the unmodded DA2 checks imported approval ratings instead of romance flags to determine Origins romance, and while the flags are imported properly, neither Awakening, nor the DLC campaigns keep the approval ratings of absent party members. An unofficial fix exists to address this problem. It has also been fixed as of patch 1.03.