Laudine, better known as (Formerly) Sister Laudine, is a scholar and writer responsible for a number of literary works found across Thedas.
Laudine was a sister of the Chantry, but willingly left once she'd learned everything she trusted the Chantry to teach, as she felt there was too great a disconnect between the potential and the actual, the spoken and the unspoken. As a Chantry sister, Laudine earned one of her earliest censures when she revealed that a clay fragment the Chantry held as proof of elven belief in "the Maker's flowering glory" was actually a manual of marital instruction.
As a writer, her specialty is to document all things sensual and denied in Orlais, to show who people are and what they do, with the purpose of peeling back what hides people from one another. Her work has been denounced by the Chantry.
Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights Edit
Genitivi Dies in the End
By special commission of the Inquisition's Inner Circle, Laudine, Philliam, a Bard!, her occasional lover, and Brother Genitivi are sent on an expedition to the Silent Plains to find the true history of the elven pantheon. They are accompanied by Mateo, a Lord of Fortune.
In his retelling of their adventure, Philliam says that they found an elven library that "fell" into the Deep Roads when Arlathan "fell". The Antaam arrives soon after them, led by Rasaan, in search of the Dread Wolf's true name. As she interrogates the prisoners on their real names, Laudine reveals herself as a mage and attacks. In the confusion, Philliam, Genitivi, Laudine, and Mateo escape to the surface. Rasaan gives chase across the Silent Plains. Laudine succeeds in stopping her by using magic to collapse the Imperial Highway, but the exertion leaves her Tranquil. Philliam and Genitivi are mortally wounded while writing the report to the Inquisition. Mateo, sole survivor of their expedition, eventually sends the report on to Varric Tethras.Philliam, Genitivi, and Laudine are in fact not dead or Tranquil, but hiding from Rasaan with Mateo in Rivain. Genitivi notes that Philliam took many liberties in his manuscript. They decide to keep writing their warnings, but under different names.
Known works Edit
- Our Orlesian Heart
- Songs of Old Orlais: She of the Highwayman Repents
- Val Royeaux: Excesses Grand and Otherwise
- Laudine's senses often swap color, taste, and sound, a quirk of perception that give her insights about character.
- She is described as a blonde woman who wears clothing reminiscent of her former Chantry life.
- During their expedition into the Silent Plains, Philliam mentions that she is "in her late twenties". Given that the expedition happened no earlier than 9:44 Dragon, this places her birth year at 9:15 Dragon or later.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 139
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights, Genitivi Dies in the End
- ↑ Codex entry: The Mystery and Meaning of Eight Silks
- ↑ Codex entry: The Lover's Alcove
- ↑ Codex entry: La Pomme Vie et Morte
- ↑ Codex entry: She of the Highwaymen Repents
- ↑ Codex entry: Val Royeaux