- See also: Achievements (Inquisition)
Lateral Thinker is an achievement added by the Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition. The achievement can be obtained by solving four unique puzzles that unlock reward caches that are being watched over by ancient elven statues.
- “The Dread Wolf keeps its gaze on the one light that illuminates the way forward.”
- Head towards the statue of Fen'Harel located inside the 'Forgotten Sanctuary'. Run past the statue towards the outdoor balcony and pick up a veilfire torch. Come back inside and head towards the mural that the statue of Dread Wolf is facing. Light the second from the left veilfire brazier on the mural that the statue is gazing upon. Head back to the statue and press the button located between the paws. A loot box will appear as the statue is repositioning itself. Loot the box to claim your reward:
An old Ciriane tale speaks of an archer named Arrowwood who traded his heart to the spirit of an oak grove to become the greatest archer in the world. He conquered a hundred keeps and slew the west wind with arrows that, once loosed, could never be stopped. Finally, Arrowwood shot the sun from the sky, turning day to night, and the gothi sent a messenger to seek out the Witch of the Arbor Wilds. Depending on the story's version, the messenger never found the witch and dealt with a demon instead, worked for the witch and her daughters for a year and a day, or made a bargain with the Lady of the Skies. In all tellings, the messenger received a coil of fine silk, traveled to Arrowwood's keep, and secretly replaced the archer's bowstring with the magic silk. When Arrowwod tried to draw the bow, his heart shattered, and he crumbled into dust. The gothi bound his bow in an iron case and buried it in the Nahashin Marshes so that no one could ever use it again.
+95% Armor Penetration
- “Where the Dread Wolf's gaze blazes, paths are brought to light.”
- Obtain the Anchor Blast upgrade for the Anchor Discharge ability in the Shattered Library, then head back to the now half-submerged Deep Roads section via the respective eluvian. Use the upgraded ability near a collapsed entrance surrounded by casks of gaatlok to clear the way and enter the eluvian. You will find yourself in the hidden section of the Deep Roads called the 'Unknown Ruin.'
- Next find the line of tiles leading from the statue to the mural. Place one character on the tile closest to the large Fen'Harel statue and direct them to hold position. Use another character to press the button on the back of the Dread Wolf statue. Tiles will move up from the ground forming a path. Walk up the stairway to light the veilfire, then head back towards the statue to loot the box between the paws to claim the reward:
- Heart of Pride
Being near this staff gives one the sense of being vastly better than everyone and everything around. When holding it, the bearer hears faint laughter, and Fade energy clings to it as desperately as a drowning sailor to drifting wreckage.
Damage: 83-85 Electricity
+12% Barrier Damage Bonus
Permashock: All nearby enemies are constantly shocked; grants 50% bonus resistance to electricity and 50% attack speed.
- Heart of Pride
- An alternative method would be to take a veilfire torch and walk towards the tiles on the floor. Move the camera away from the Dread Wolf statue. Turn the camera back to the wolf and it should now be staring at the direction of the tiles with glowing eyes. Without turning the camera away from the wolf, move to the back of the wolf to press the button. The tiles will rise to form a pathway. Climb the path to light the veilfire then turn around to claim the reward.
- “When the Dread Wolf's gaze is bright, light burns in a ring of the dead.”
- While in the 'Scholar's Retreat' section of the Shattered Library, leave at least one character near the eluvian that leads back to the 'Broken Tower' and direct the character to hold position. Switch back to the Inquisitor to use the invincibility provided by the Anchor Discharge to move safely through the purple flames to reach the large statue of Fen'Harel on the upper level. Press the button at the statue and switch back to the character waiting to enter the eluvian.
- Enter the eluvian and run down to the lower level of the Broken Tower; the braziers held by the statues of the dead should now all be lit. Grab a veilfire torch then backtrack up the stairway; head back through eluvian, and work your way back up to the Dread Wolf statue to light the veilfire tithe being gazed upon by the statue. Once lit the loot box between the statue's paws will unlock and the reward inside can now be claimed:
Etched into this blade: "The way is full of tests and danger. Watch with the coolness of contemplation to stay safe"
Damage: 160-164 Cold
+45% Cold Resistance
Cold Enchanted: All weapon attacks deal cold damage
On Hit: Chance to deal cold damage in an area around the target.
- “One sees the hunter, one flees from it, one hunts it in turn, one outwits them all.”
- Head towards the 'Research Tower' located in the Darvaarad's courtyard. Acquire a veilfire torch to light the braziers in the tower in the following order. First light the brazier located on the bottom of the tower next to the statue of an owl. Next head back to the top of the tower to light the brazier near the halla statue, followed by the brazier next to the dragon statue. Last descend back to the bottom floor to claim the reward from the loot box waiting between the paws of the large Dread Wolf statue:
- Bloody Bargain
Unique Dual-Blade Dagger
The Coterie of Kirkwall was run for many years by a man named Harlan. Rumor said he was an apostate, an abomination, a demon of rage poorly impersonating a man -- or that there was no Harlan at all, that it was a title passed to whichever Coterie member was the most bloodthirsty on any given day. During his time at the head of the undercity, Harlan was suspected of killing at least two hundred people. For years, the city guard hunted him to bring him to the gallows, but ultimately he was killed by one of his lieutenants, stabbed with his own knife.
Damage: 160-163 AoE
+17% Heal on Kill
+5% Stagger on Hit
Rampage: On kill, movement and attack speed increases by 10% for 30 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times.
- Bloody Bargain
- While completing the puzzle in the Shattered Library the sequence allows for approximately 30 secs for the torch to be lit. If process takes longer than 30 seconds there is a possibility the quest cannot be completed. On PC if mods are installed, disabling the mods will reduce load times. Lowering graphic settings can also minimize load times.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.