Mother Giselle passed along the letter written by Dorian's father. Dorian may wish to read it, but it may be best just to take him to the tavern to sort this out in person.
- If this conversation occurred, before the Inquisition moved to Skyhold: Speaking with Mother Giselle at her usual location in Skyhold's garden will cause her to go to the main hall.
- If this conversation happens at Skyhold: After leaving the tower and Dorian, the Inquisitor will meet Mother Giselle in the main hall.
Here she asks for a moment of the Inquisitor's time, and eventually hands over a letter from Dorian's family.
Upon speaking to Mother Giselle, she informs the Inquisitor that she has received a letter from Magister Halward Pavus, Dorian's father. He asks that she brings Dorian to a secret meeting, and that a "retainer" will be watching for them. (The letter is shown in the Gallery.)
The Inquisitor has the option of telling Dorian about the letter. If done so, a bit of extra dialog and a brief scene will play, without approval changes. However, at a later stage of the quest, a chance to gain approval is not given, if this option was chosen.
Whether he is aware of the meeting or not, entering the Gull and Lantern in Redcliffe Village, Hinterlands, with Dorian will present a deserted tavern, and no "retainer" in sight. Instead Halward himself appears at the base of the stairs, and a discussion between father and son starts.
On several points the Inquisitor has a comment, even offering to leave, or might ask questions, until there's finally a dialog wheel with four choices that have an effect on the outcome of the quest and may change Dorian's approval. The first "set" is required for great approval and a debate of father and son, the second "set" will leave them estranged and may result in no great approval at the end, depending on future dialog choices.
- Halward appears distraught and does not intervene when the Inquisitor and Dorian together leave the tavern to return to Skyhold. (Prerequisite for no Great Approval later.) (This could possibly cause the "what must you think of me now" dialog (listed below) to be skipped and bug the romance.[confirmation needed] )
The quest completes. In Skyhold, Dorian reflects on the events at the window of his alcove …
- His line varies, depending on how the last scene ended, but the initial choices are always the same
- If Dorian wasn't told about the letter: … Why didn't you let me decide?
- The last dialogue choice is always the same
- Maker knows what you must think of me now, after that whole display.
- (Special) You led me on. (Female Inquisitor who had flirted with Dorian before this point.)
- Just don't do it again. (ends scene)
- I like flirting. (ends scene)
- We can be friends. (ends scene)
- 1,025 XP
- 400 Influence
- 3 Power
- Dorian may or may not remain estranged from his father.
- Dorian's tarot card will change to its alternate look.
- There was a known issue that kept the quest from triggering if Dorian's approval rating became too high before discussing the fate of Felix. An essential dialog would be skipped, resulting in Mother Giselle never appearing in Skyhold's main hall with the letter. This bug was fixed in Patch 5.
- If you got the quest but cannot activate the cutscene at Redcliffe Village's Gull and Lantern, enter the tavern with Dorian as controlled character. Another workaround is to save the game inside the Gull and Lantern, quit, and reload.