The Korcari Wilds are a cold southern expanse of forest and swamp, the extent of which is not truly known. Chasind Wilders speak of a wasteland of snow and ice further to the south, filled only with desolate tundra and nomadic barbarians. Most northerners believe little of what the Chasind have to say.
At -410 Ancient a group of Qunari landed in the southern Korcari Wilds, likely from The Frozen Seas in the east, and establishes a colony. This group is believed to have been eliminated during the First Blight, but beforehand, some of its females were turned into broodmothers by the darkspawn, and gave rise to the first appearance of Ogres in Thedas.
Local legends state that the perpetual mist surrounding the Wilds is not natural, but rather the result of a curse. Long ago, when werewolves terrorized the country, a great arl ventured into the Wilds killing every wolf he could find, as well as any Chasind. A Chasind mother was outraged upon finding her sons dead at the soldiers' blades - one of which she stabbed into her own heart. A great mist seeped forth from this mortal wound and spread throughout the Wilds. It was so dense that the arl and his soldiers were lost inside forever.
The Wilds are native to monsters such as the giant swamp crabs.
- In this region the new recruits will encounter their first hurlock emissary and hurlock alpha.
- Interacting with a Dying Soldier (just past the wolves near the exit) triggers a cut-scene in which each party member can express their attitude towards the current mission. The soldier is the sole survivor of a scouting party ambushed by darkspawn. If The Warden kills the soldier ( Alistair disapproves (-3)) or leaves him to die, a low-tier armor piece or weapon will drop.
- Missionary Jogby (the son): the corpse of a missionary can be found at the edge of the water southwest of the exit. Searching the body yields a letter and starts the side quest the Missionary.
- Missionary Rigby (the father): another corpse, this can be found atop a hill on the mid-east side of the map, near a locked chest amongst some ruins. Looting the body will unlock a codex entry and start the side quest Last Will and Testament.
- The Wilds Flower needed for the Mabari Hound can be found in numerous locations throughout the area, all on mossy logs; the one closest to the exit is just past the dying soldier mentioned above. (If the Warden has not acquired the appropriate side quest, examining the flower prompts Daveth to mention that the Kennel Master is offering a reward for it). Once any one of these has been picked, they all cease to be "lootable" objects.
- The blood needed for the Tainted Blood quest will drop frequently from Hurlocks and Genlocks alike. Although the quest only requires three vials, it is possible to end up with more; however, they are still simply plot items and serve no other purpose. Once three or more have been picked up, they will cease to drop, and all the collected vials will be removed from inventory when the quest is resolved.
- At a campsite to the northwest is a chest containing Rigby's Field Journal. Taking it will unlock a codex entry, set in motion the quest Chasind Trail Signs, and mark the first Sign on the area map, just past the arches next to the campsite. Note that the quest might not appear in the party journal until all Signs have been tracked down.
- In the same campsite (beneath the campfire) is a hidden cache that continues the Last Will and Testament side quest (see Missionary Rigby, above; the cache will not be accessible until that quest has begun). (A note under Chasind Trail Signs charts a walkthrough for all three of the Jogby/Rigby side quests.)
- Across the bridge in the south end (an area dense with Flimsy Leghold Traps) is the corpse of a soldier carrying a page from a book and a pouch. The ashes in the pouch can be used to summon a powerful shade at a small pile of rocks on a rise, east of the corpse. See A Pinch of Ashes for details.
- Alistair and the recruits will eventually (in the eastern half of the map) reach the Grey Warden Outpost, where they find The Grey Wardens' Cache - or what is left of it. Examining the remains triggers the cut-scene introducing Morrigan. After a brief, possibly reciprocated interrogation, she is prepared to bring the party to Flemeth's Hut, though departure may be postponed if the party is not yet ready to proceed.
- Codex entry: A Pinch of Ashes
- Codex entry: Farewell Letter to Jogby
- Codex entry: Genlock
- Codex entry: Hurlock (addenda for the Alpha and Emissary)
- Codex entry: Letter to Jogby
- Codex entry: Rigby's Last Will and Testament
- Codex entry: Signs of the Chasind
- Codex entry: Shade (obtained from Gazarath)
- Codex entry: Wolf
Near wolves vs. darkspawn area
- Chest (Darkspawn, Elite) - locked
- Chest (Ferelden, Normal) - locked
- Crate (Generic Armor, Critter)
- Crate (Generic, Critter)
- Crate (Generic, Critter)
- pc One of the Flimsy Leghold Traps cannot be disarmed.
- Once the cutscene with Morrigan and Flemeth is over, it is still possible to return to the Wilds, but only before the Joining ritual is done. After the Joining, this area becomes permanently inaccessible.