Background[edit | edit source]
Kolgrim's ancestors are the founders of the Cult of Andraste, the Dragon worshipping cult of the Haven Village, based high in the Frostback Mountains. As such, Kolgrim serves as their leader and liaison to the High Dragon, believed by the cultists to be the reincarnated Andraste. Like the other cultist Reavers, Kolgrim possesses enhanced physical strength and endurance as a result of drinking the blood of Dragonlings. However, his power far exceeds that of his underlings.
Involvement[edit | edit source]
During The Urn of Sacred Ashes quest line, before reaching the Mountain Top in the Caverns under the Ruined Temple, you are confronted by Kolgrim, and a few cult followers. Kolgrim speaks of the great Andraste and how she has been reincarnated as a great dragon. He asks you to desecrate the ashes by pouring the dragon's blood into the urn. According to him this would make you Andraste's champion. If the Warden chooses to follow his offer, he or she will be granted the Reaver specialization. See Kolgrim's Offer for details.
If you refuse his offer, or insult his religion he will attack. A good strategy is to ensure you first take out any mages. They will immediately use Misdirection Hex on your character making your attacks worthless. They also make use of Cone of Cold and Paralyze spells. Once the mages have been dealt with you can focus on Kolgrim and rest of the enemies.
Kolgrim carries a two-handed axe; he therefore attacks slowly but will deal a good amount of damage with each successful hit. Thus it is best to pit him against a party member with high defense score and apply attack penalty on Kolgrim to effectively reduce his damage output. His health is substantial but is offset by his light armor, making all damage types effective.
Once he is defeated he will drop Kolgrim's Horn (pc only) which will allow the Warden to summon and fight the high dragon, on ps3xbox360 the Warden only needs to interact with the gong, no actual item is necessary.
The number of enemy combatants, e.g. 2,3 or 4 warriors depends on your difficulty.
- If the fight occurs within the Mountainside Caverns, mages will attack at long range while warriors assist Kolgrim at close range.
- If the fight occurs on the Mountain Top before entering The Gauntlet, Kolgrim will be assisted by warrior(s), archer(s), a mage(s), and a Drake.
- If the fight occurs on the Mountain Top after completing The Gauntlet, Kolgrim will only be assisted by warrior(s).
Items[edit | edit source]
, acquired by stealing
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Kolgrim is one of the few characters whose armor will scale up with The Warden's. For example, at levels 14 and up he will appear to be wearing Silverite, while at lower levels he will wear Red Steel or even lower tiered armors. He can also upgrade when transitioning from the Caverns to the Mountain Top; this occurs when the Warden levels up in between the start of the Ruined Temple to meeting with him.
- In Mountainside Caverns, Kolgrim as well as his allies have a limited aggro-radius. If you run back into the tunnel, the enemies will only chase you until you reach a certain point. Sometimes single enemies will chase you further. This allows to take them out isolated, or attack with bows and magic attacks from outside their aggro-range.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "You know nothing! Andraste revealed Herself to us! We are Her Chosen! To arms, my brethren! Andraste will grant us victory!"
- "The prophet Andraste has overcome death itself and has returned to Her faithful in a form more radiant than you can imagine! Not even the Tevinter Imperium could hope to slay Her now. What hope do you have?"
- "Blood carries power, strength, knowledge. Through it, all the power that is held in the Ashes will be returned to our Lady."