Its workshops are where Paragon Hirol conceived his famous improvements to golem resilience and power, and where Hirol's favorite student developed a method for storing refined lyrium that is still used centuries after its conception. These breakthroughs brought Kal'Hirol great prosperity; its passageways are said to have glittered with gold and silver.
This didn't last long however, as it fell to the darkspawn during the First Blight. According to Voldrik Glavonak the dwarves of Kal'Hirol had almost finished the construction of dwarven barrier doors which would have kept them safe from darkspawn for years to come. However they didn't manage to finish the door mechanism in time. As the dwarves of Kal'Hirol were evacuating the thaig, five hundred casteless were left behind. Dailan, feeling that the guard would fail to delay the horde enough, proposed to the casteless that they join with him in the suicidal battle, and suggested they prove that they were not worthless as dwarven society claimed. Despite opposition amongst some of the casteless, approximately two hundred volunteered for the duty. It is not known what happened to the others though at least a few attempted to find a route to the surface.
With the fall of Kal'Hirol a lot of dwarven smithing knowledge was lost too.
The Warden-Commander successfully ventures into the great thaig in order to eliminate the broodmothers which reside in its lower levels, as well as learn more about the darkspawn civil war. There it is discovered that two hundred casteless dwarves were the last defence of the fortress in order to give enough time for the rest of the population of Kal'Hirol to escape to Orzammar in safety.In the epilogue, it is mentioned that Kal'Hirol is cleared of darkspawn, and eventually the dwarves of Orzammar attempt to reclaim it. House Helmi ultimately leads a host of dwarves to clear the Deep Roads between Orzammar and Kal'Hirol and, though the losses were great, they are ultimately successful in 9:31 Dragon.
- Childer grub (Darkspawn, Critter)
- Deepstalker (Deepstalker, Critter)
- Deepstalker leader (Deepstalker, Normal)
- Genlock (Darkspawn, Critter)
- Genlock alpha (Darkspawn, Lieutenant)
- Hurlock (Darkspawn, Critter and Normal)
- Hurlock alpha (Darkspawn, Lieutenant)
- Shriek (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Shriek alpha (Darkspawn, Lieutenant)
Notable items EditAncient Boots
The leather straps that fasten these boots have crumbled, but they could easily be replaced.
, source: Ancient Dwarven Crate
A whetstone to sharpen swords, knives, and daggers.
, source: Crate
Special Objects Edit
- Hidden Switch - revealed if Sigrun is in the party, leading to a secret door.
See also Edit
- ↑ Based on the icon's description while viewing the World map.
- ↑ Mentioned at the end of It Comes From Beneath quest.
- ↑ Mentioned by Sigrun when viewing the thaig, near the Knotwood Hills entrance.