In order to import into each other, Origins, Awakening and the DLCs should be played in the following order:
A player starting a new game of Dragon Age II without importing a save may use one of the three pre-build histories, which assume the following:
- Hero of Ferelden: male human noble
- Martyr: female Dalish elf
- The Warden killed the archdemon and died doing so
- Alistair and Anora rule jointly
- No Compromise: male dwarf noble
- The Warden recruited Loghain and let him die killing the archdemon
- Alistair was exiled
- Anora rules alone
Note that if you import an Orlesian Warden-Commander created in Awakening, it will warn you upon importing to Dragon Age II that it will fill in the missing details using the pre-built histories. The Orlesian Warden-Commander history resembles the one in Martyr, but Alistair is king alone and Miracle Makers does not trigger. All Awakening decisions are retained, but note that it's possible for both The Conspirators and Secret Rendezvous to trigger if you destroyed Amaranthine. The Orlesian Warden-Commander origin may cause irregularities in dialogue, with Merrill in particular switching between her unique lines for a Dalish Warden and her generic lines for the other origins.
In addition to major decisions made over the course of the game, the race and background of the Warden are also reflected in Codex entry: The Hero of Ferelden, amongst other codices detailed in this article.
- If the Warden is a Dalish elf, there's alternate text in Codex entry: Vallaslin: Blood Writing and Codex entry: The Dalish Elves.
- Depending on whether the Warden is a city elf, Dalish elf, or not an elf at all, there is variable text in Codex entry: The City Elves
- If the Warden is a dwarf, there is alternate text in Codex entry: Darkspawn
- If the Warden is a mage, there is alternate text in Codex entry: The Tranquil
- Connor lived or died during Arl of Redcliffe. This decision is supposedly recorded in Codex entry: A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two.[bug 1]
- Mages or templars were recruited during Broken Circle. This decision is recorded in Codex entry: A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. One.
- Dalish or werewolves were recruited during Nature of the Beast. This decision is recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. One".
- Prince Bhelen Aeducan or Lord Pyral Harrowmont ascended to the throne of Orzammar during A Paragon of Her Kind. This decision is recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. One".
- Supported Caridin and destroyed the Anvil during A Paragon of Her Kind, or supported Branka and either saved the Anvil or convinced her to destroy it. This decision is recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. One".
- Andraste's ashes were revealed or disappeared during The Urn of Sacred Ashes. The Ashes can only be revealed by declining Kolgrim's offer and allowing Brother Genitivi to go back to Denerim. This decision is supposedly recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two".[bug 1]
- Accepted or declined Morrigan's ritual during Morrigan's Ritual. This decision affects #9 and #10. This decision is supposedly recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two".[bug 1]
- Loghain was spared or executed during The Landsmeet. This decisions affects #9 and #10. This decision is supposedly recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two".[bug 1]
- The Warden/Alistair/Loghain killed the Archdemon during The Battle of Denerim. This decision affects #10. This decision is recorded in Codex entry: The Hero of Ferelden. This decision may also be recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two".[bug 1]
- Who ascended Ferelden's throne (Alistair, Anora, Alistair and Anora, Alistair with the Warden, or Anora with the Warden). This decision is recorded in the codex entry "The Hero of Ferelden". This decision may also be recorded in the codex entry "A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol". Two.[bug 1]
- If the Warden found Shale in The Stone Prisoner DLC and Shale survived Dragon Age: Origins, Corff the Bartender will make an indirect reference by commenting on the declining pigeon population of Ferelden. In Origins, Shale can be killed during A Paragon of Her Kind if the Warden sides with Branka. Corff the Bartender's comment remains the same even when importing from a game without The Stone Prisoner installed.
- Avernus or Sophia Dryden were spared in Warden's Keep DLC
- What the Warden did with King Cailan's body in Return to Ostagar DLC. Unknown impact on Dragon Age II.
- Amaranthine, or Vigil's Keep, or both are saved in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
- The Architect lived or died at the end of Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening.
- Nathaniel Howe remained with the Grey Wardens or not during Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. The only way to ensure Nathaniel remains with the Grey Wardens is to recruit him, ensure his survival, complete his personal quest and raise his approval rating over 75. [bug 2]
- Whether the Warden left Morrigan, stabbed Morrigan, or followed her into the Eluvian at the end of Witch Hunt DLC.
- Whether Zevran Arainai lived or died during Dragon Age: Origins.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 There is currently an issue with imported save flags where the contents of A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two are not recorded. See Talk:Codex entry: A Study of the Fifth Blight, Vol. Two for all possible entries.
- ↑ If Nathaniel is not in your final party, the game will consider him dead even if he survives. The only way to ensure that he will be flagged as alive is thus to bring him with you to Amaranthine at the end of the game, in addition to fulfilling the above conditions.
Results and pre-built histories Edit
The following chart describes which pre-built histories support which decisions, and the impact these decisions have on Dragon Age II:
|Decision||Choice||Result||Hero of Ferelden||Martyr||No Compromise|
|3||Dalish recruited||Enables encounter in Act 1. See The Wounded Coast|
|Werewolves recruited||Enables quest Changing One's Nature in Act 1|
|4||Bhelen crowned king||Enables quest Last of His Line in Act 1|
|Harrowmont crowned king||None|
|Support Branka, Anvil saved||None|
|Support Branka, Anvil destroyed||None|
|6||Ashes revealed||Enables Miracle Makers in Act 1|
|7||Accept Morrigan's Ritual||None|
|Decline Morrigan's Ritual||None|
|9||Warden kills Archdemon||None|
|Loghain kills Archdemon||None|
|Alistair kills Archdemon||None|
|10||Alistair rules||Enables King Alistair (quest) in Act 3|
|Alistair and Anora rule||Enables King Alistair (quest) in Act 3|
|Anora rules, Alistair remains Grey Warden||Alistair appears during Demands of The Qun in Act 2 and bestows The Sacred Heart|
|Anora rules, Alistair is exiled||Alistair appears as a drunk patron in The Hanged Man in Act 1 and Act 2|
|11||Shale recruited and survives||Bartender in The Hanged Man mentions pigeon population in Ferelden|
|12||Warden's Keep started and Avernus spared||Enables Dark Epiphany in Act 1|
|Warden's Keep started and Sophia spared||Enables Terror on the Coast in Act 1|
|13||Cailan's corpse burned||None|
|Cailan's corpse fed to wolves||None|
|Cailan's corpse left to Darkspawn||None|
|14||Amaranthine saved||Enables Secret Rendezvous in Act 1|
|Vigil's Keep saved||Enables The Conspirators in Act 1|
|15||Architect lives||Nathaniel Howe (if alive) mentions during Finding Nathaniel that the Warden-Commander spared the Architect|
|16||Nathaniel remains Grey Warden||Enables Finding Nathaniel in Act 3|
|Nathaniel dies/leaves Grey Wardens||Enables Fool's Gold in Act 2|
|17||Let Morrigan go through the Eluvian||None|
|Went with Morrigan through the Eluvian||None|
|18||Zevran lives||Enables A Murder of Crows in Act 3|