- 1 Background
- 2 Involvement
- 3 Places
- 4 Characters
- 5 Quests
- 6 Creatures
- 7 Enemies
- 8 Collections
- 9 Resources
- 10 Notable items
- 11 Codex entries
- 12 Note texts
- 13 Trivia
- 14 Gallery
- 15 References
Background[edit | edit source]
The Hinterlands comprises a good deal of fertile agricultural land and as such is populated with a great many farmsteads throughout the area. The regions' main settlement is Redcliffe Village, situated in the western hills of Ferelden protected by Redcliffe Castle. Since the end of the Fifth Blight, the Hinterlands have seen an influx of settlers from Redcliffe Village looking to escape unpleasant memories of the darkspawn and the other dark events which befell Redcliffe during the last Blight.
Nestled in the heart of Ferelden are the old forests and farmsteads of the Hinterlands. This rocky, rolling getway to Redcliffe has now fallen into chaos. The conflict between mages and templars forced many off their lands, demons stalk the hills, and reports of strange magic abound near Redcliffe.—Excerpt from the quest journal
Involvement[edit | edit source]
I retired to the Hinterlands for peace and quiet away from the politics, and because the wide open spaces were perfect to let my horses run. Instead, the war between the mages and the templars has turned your beautiful hills into a series of burning battlefields. The farmers who live in the Hinterlands are good folk. Many of them left Redcliffe village because they couldn't bear to be there anymore, not after the Blight and the walking dead left so many bad memories. Now we've got apostates running around setting fire to anyone who looks at them sideways, and templars looting houses and cutting down those who protest as mage sympathizers.
Ever since the outbreak of the Mage-Templar War, the Hinterlands has suffered from ongoing confrontations between apostate mages and rebel templars. The local population has been victimized from attacks on both sides. The Inquisitor can restore order to the region by helping the inhabitants in a variety of ways, including putting an end to the Mage-Templar conflict.
Oculara litter the Hinterlands with hidden shards; and up until the events surrounding the Breach, the shards had remained hidden in plain site. However, the Breach's opening somehow managed to disrupt the magic that allowed for the shards to remain undisturbed. Origins of the Ocularum can be traced back to the Venatori whom are removing the skulls of tranquil mages in order to search for something of major importance for the Elder One. At some point the Inquisitor can look into the significance of the shards collected and why the Venatori are so interested in acquiring them.
The Inquisitor will also find themselves investigating an abundance of mercenary activity in the region. This leads to the discovery of an underground lyrium smuggling operation hosted by the Carta whom are garrisoned and functioning out of Valammar, an ancient hidden thaig. The Inquisitor can gain access to the Hinterlands by completing the Scout the Hinterlands war table operation in Haven.
Preliminary digs have been more than successful. It's extremely surprising to find such a high quantity of the product this close to the surface. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was growing. On one hand, this gives us an advantage. Without having to work with the old families back in Orzammar, or even take this through official guild channels, our families stand to make a killing. On the other hand, the proximity to the surface and to the populated areas of Redcliffe raises an interesting challenge. The war between the mages and templars should keep people out of the area for now, but as soon as the humans are done trying to kill each other, any operation we start will be uncovered. If we're going to take advantage of this opportunity, we need to keep people out of the area. I'd recommend manufacturing some bandits. This part of Ferelden is lousy with them, so they shouldn't attract much attention, and nobody will have trouble believing that bandits would stake out some territory. By the time anyone uncovers the operation, it'll either be tapped out, in which case we'll be gone, or we'll have the operation running smoothly, in which case we'll be wealthy enough to deny everything and throw some money at the throne by way of apology. Talk to the families and make it happen. This is too good to pass up.—an unsigned letter found in the Hinterlands
Places[edit | edit source]
- Apostate Stronghold
- Ash Warrior's Refuge
- Avvar Blade Valley
- Blood Cliffs
- Calenhad's Foothold
- The Crossroads
- Dead Ram Grove
- Dwarfson's Pass
- East Road
- Forannan Ravine
- Grand Forest Villa
- Gully of the Burnt Men
- Hafter's Woods
- Lady Shayna's Valley
- Lake Luthias
- Old Simeon's Cave
- The Outskirts
- Rebel Queen's Ravine
- Redcliffe Farms
- Redcliffe Road
- Redcliffe Village
- Smuggler's Cave
- Templar Encampment
- Valammar Gate
- West Road
- Western Outskirts
- Winterwatch Tower
- Wolf Hollow
Additional places[edit | edit source]
Inquisition camps[edit | edit source]
- Dusklight Camp
- Dwarfson's Pass Camp
- Forest Camp
- Outskirts Camp
- Redcliffe Farms Camp
- Upper Lake Camp
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Crossroads Refugee
- Corporal Vale
- Dorian Pavus
- Felix Alexius
- Gereon Alexius
- Grand Enchanter Fiona
- Hanley D'Urvain
- Hinterlands Healer
- Lord Berand
- Master Dennet
- Mother Giselle
- One-Eyed Jimmy
- Recruit Belette
- Recruit Whittle
- Refugee Hunter
- Scout Ritts
- Sister Tanner
- Widow Maura
- Crossroads Merchant
- Dwarven Bookseller
- Redcliffe Armor and Upgrades Merchant
- Redcliffe Weapons and Upgrades Merchant
Quests[edit | edit source]
A Common Treatment
A Healing Hand
An Advanced Treatment
Apostates in Witchwood
A Rare Treatment
A Spirit in the Lake
East Road Bandits
Failure to Deliver
Flowers for Senna
Hinterland Who's Who
Holding the Hinterlands
Horses for the Inquisition
In the Elements
In the Saddle
Letter from a Lover
Map of Farmland Cave
Map to a Waterfall
Master of Horses
My Lover's Phylactery
Open a Vein
Playing with Fire
Praise the Herald of Andraste
Safeguards Against Looters
Sketch of Calenhad's Foothold
Templars to the West
The Ballad of Lord Woolsley
The Mercenary Fortress
The Vault of Valammar
Trouble with Wolves
Where the Druffalo Roam
Rifts[edit | edit source]
Requisitions[edit | edit source]
War table operations[edit | edit source]
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
- Apostate Mages
- Rebel Spellbinder
- Rebel Templars
- Templar Archer
- Templar Defender (Tower Shield)
- Templar Knight
- Lyrium Smugglers
- Red Templars
- Red Templar
- Red Templar Guard
- Red Templar Horror
- Red Templar Knight
- Red Templar Marksman
- Red Templar Shadow
- Fereldan Frostback
Butterbile 7:84 - search the table in the rounded house behind the locked door; see side quest Blood Brothers.
Carnal, 8:69 Blessed - search the first floor of Master Dennet's house on Redcliffe Farms.
Vint-9 Rowan's Rose - search the second floor of the Winterwatch Tower tavern.
Vintage: Warden Steed/ Bethany Hawke/ Carver Hawke - search inside the Wheelhouse located near the Redcliffe Village's entrance.
The Fall 12/12 pieces:
- See The Fall mosaic for detailed locations.
- looted from a container in the Vaults of Valammar. (Can be also obtained in "The Canyon Tomb" in the Hissing Wastes)
- looted from a large chest in the room directly across from the Grand Forest Villa's main entrance; see side quest The Mercenary Fortress.
- found on the top floor of Master Dennet's house on Redcliffe Farms.
Songs[edit | edit source]
Saga of Tyrdda Bright-Axe, Avvar-Mother - unlocked after finding all Saga of Tyrdda Bright-Axe landmarks.
Hero in Every Port (Ballad of Nuggins) - acquired from a book behind One-Eyed Jimmy's shack in Redcliffe Village.
Herbs[edit | edit source]
Leather[edit | edit source]
Metals[edit | edit source]
Notable items[edit | edit source]
- Inside the cave located directly east of the Crossroads; see Solas' companion quest Measuring the Veil.
- At the top of Winterwatch Tower at the north end of the keep.
- In a shack located south by southeast from the Redcliffe Farms Inquisition Camp.
- Southwest of the Tyrdda Bright-Axe, Avvar Mother landmark, just inside the Avvar Blade Valley.
- Against the southern side of the mountain on which the Forest Inquisition Camp is located.
- Maps of the Deep Roads - found at Calenhad's Foothold.
- Pristine Griffon Feather - found in Hafter's Woods, just southeast of the Forest Camp.
- Near the Tempter Burns landmark, behind the large rock on the left.
- Inside Redcliffe Village, behind the Redcliffe Weapons and Upgrades Merchant store front.
- Inside Old Simeon's Cave, on the right hand side next to an onyx vein.
- At Ash Warrior's Refuge
- Inside Fort Connor
- At Lady Shayna's Valley
- - inside the cave located directly east of the Crossroads; see Solas' companion quest Measuring the Veil.
- - in a cave labeled Dungeon Entrance; located northwest from northernmost astrarium and directly behind the Redcliffe Farms Inquisition Camp.
Loot[edit | edit source]
- - looted in Redcliffe Castle from Hanley D'Urvain, the Venatori Spellbinder, who is torturing a Chantry priestess; see main quest In Hushed Whispers.
- - looted from the Fereldan Frostback high dragon.
- - randomly available at the Redcliffe Armor and Upgrades Merchant for 000001421214212 .
- - available at the Redcliffe Armor and Upgrades Merchant for 00000011611161 .
- - looted from the Mercenary Leader inside the Grand Forest Villa; see side quest The Mercenary Fortress.
- - found in the room hidden by the destructible wall on Valammar's Upper Terrace.
- - acquired from the side quest Sketch of Calenhad's Foothold.
- - acquired from Gereon Alexius in Redcliffe Castle; see main quest In Hushed Whispers.
- - available at the Crossroads Merchant for 0000000439439 .
- - looted from the Fereldan Frostback high dragon.
- - looted from the Fereldan Frostback high dragon.
- - looted from the elite Templar Knight on the west side of the Templar Encampment; see side quest Templars to the West.
- - rewarded upon completing Locate Weapon of Tyrdda Bright-Axe war table operation with any advisor.Note: Requires claiming all Tyrdda landmarks around the Hinterlands.
- - looted from the elite Rebel Mage; see side quest Apostates in Witchwood.
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
Codex entry: A Different Darkspawn?
Codex entry: A Horsemaster's Notes on Mounts
Codex entry: A Letter from the Carta
Codex entry: A Letter to Revered Mother Giselle
Codex entry: A Page from a Journal, Edges Scorched
Codex entry: An Unsigned Letter
Codex entry: An Unsigned Letter in the Hinterlands
Codex entry: Astrariums
Codex entry: Blackwall
Codex entry: Constellation: Draconis
Codex entry: Constellation: Judex
Codex entry: Constellation: Peraquialus
Codex entry: Darktown's Deal
Codex entry: Deep Roads
Codex entry: Dorian Pavus
Codex entry: Dwarven Runecraft
Codex entry: Ferelden After the Blight
Codex entry: Fereldan Culture
Codex entry: Fort Connor
Codex entry: Grand Forest Villa
Codex entry: Hard in Hightown: Chapter One
Codex entry: Healer's Notes at Redcliffe Crossroads
Codex entry: Hero in Every Port (Ballad of Nuggins)
Codex entry: Hero of Ferelden
Codex entry: Hunter's View of the Mage-Templar War
Codex entry: Letter Found in a Redcliffe Home
Codex entry: Lornan's Exile
Codex entry: Lyrium
Codex entry: Magister Gereon Alexius
Codex entry: Map of Farmland Cave
Codex entry: Map to a Waterfall
Codex entry: Mounts
Codex entry: Oculara
Codex entry: Ocularum
Codex entry: Phylacteries
Codex entry: Queen Asha of Antiva
Codex entry: Redcliffe (Inquisition)
Codex entry: Revive
Codex entry: Saga of Tyrdda Bright-Axe, Avvar-Mother
Codex entry: Seers and the Allsmet
Codex entry: Sketch of Calenhad's Foothold
Codex entry: Stronghold of the Apostate Mages
Codex entry: Templar Encampment
Codex entry: The Annulment at Dairsmuid
Codex entry: The Carta
Codex entry: The Circle of Magi
Codex entry: The Crows and Queen Madrigal
Codex entry: The Dwarven Merchants Guild
Codex entry: The Hinterlands
Codex entry: The Lost Art of Veilfire (if veilfire used)
Codex entry: The Inquisition
Codex entry: The Orlesian Empire
Codex entry: The Tevinter Imperium
Codex entry: The Troubles of a Chantry Scholar
Codex entry: The Venatori
Codex entry: Veilfire (if veilfire used)
Note texts[edit | edit source]
A Heartfelt Request
A Letter at an Abandoned Campsite
A Letter Found on a Corpse (Hinterland Who's Who)
A Letter Found on a Corpse (Playing with Fire)
A Letter Found on a Dead Body (Conscientious Objector)
A Letter Found on a Dead Body (Return Policy)
A Letter Found on a Dead Dwarf (Broken Bridge)
A Letter Found on a Dead Dwarf (Smuggler's Cave)
A Letter Found on a Dead Templar (Business Arrangements)
A Letter Found on a Dead Templar (My Lover's Phylactery)
A Letter in an Abandoned Home
A Letter in an Empty Home
A Letter in an Empty Home (Blood Brothers)
An Angry Note
A Note Found on a Corpse
An Unsigned Letter
An Unsigned Letter on a Bandit Body
Carta Note on Security
Defaced Carta Notice
Letter Found on a Noblewoman's Corpse
Letter on a Bandit in the Hinterlands
Orders for Lake Operations
Personal Note Scrawled in a Ledger
Report on Activity in the Hinterlands
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the epilogue of Dragon Age: Origins, a Dalish Warden may ask that the Dalish be officially granted territorial sovereignty. The following possible conversation between Alistair and Merrill during King Alistair suggests a reason why no Dalish are seen in the Hinterlands as of Inquisition.
- Merrill: We… we heard the Dalish were given land in Ferelden. Is it true?
- Alistair: Yes. I wish I could say that went better.
- Merrill: Why? What happened?
- Alistair: It’s… a long story. I intend to make it up to your people, however. I owe an old friend of mine too much to do otherwise.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Codex entry: Fereldan Culture
- Codex entry: The Hinterlands
- Codex entry: Oculara
- Ocularum background excerpt
- Codex entry: An Unsigned Letter
- Codex entry: A Letter from the Carta
- Note: An Unsigned Letter on a Bandit Body
- Note: Carta Note on Security
- Codex entry: An Unsigned Letter in the Hinterlands
- Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Amber Rage