Go through the house until the party can go upstairs and into the center room. After a cut scene they will be faced with an Ethereal golem. It will disappear after an initial battle, any fallen characters are revived and then several shades will spawn which will have to be defeated before it becomes attackable again. When the golem attacks, the floating paraphernalia will intermittently strike nearby team members, doing little damage but knocking them back and potentially interrupting moves.
After the battle, Hawke will find a piece of the idol and they will have the option to let Varric keep it or get rid of it.
- If Hawke lets him keep it, this will give him three extra rune slots on Bianca, and will result in Varric: friendship (+10), Anders: rivalry (+5), Sebastian: rivalry (+10).
- If Hawke makes him get rid of it, they'll be able to give it to Sandal who will make a Primeval Lyrium Rune out of it. The latter option will result in Varric: rivalry (+10), Anders: friendship (+5), Sebastian: friendship (+10).
After the battle, the room at the top of the stairs on the right, which was previously locked, will unlock. Visit it to loot a master difficulty chest and examine a ledger near the bed which will trigger a cutscene with Varric.
- 2050 XP (for the fight) and 1200 XP (quest completion)
- Rock Band looted from the Ethereal golem
- Acquisition of the quests Closure and An Anniversary
There are two possible outcomes:
- Varric's armor will change names to Varric's Armored Leather Duster, and Bianca will be upgraded with 3 additional rune slots (4 total) if Hawke allows him to keep the shard. You will also receive the Codex entry: Bianca.
- Sandal will make a Primeval Lyrium Rune from the shard, which increases attack speed (varies by weapon strength).
- The picture on the ground in the room where Varric Tethras talks about Bartrand and the broken plate is the same image as is used for the Kindly Knight in Dragon Age: The Last Court.
- When the Ethereal golem shows up, the journal says to defeat the Rock wraith.