We rode the halla. They leapt with such grace and beauty as to make your horses look like Ferelden dogs by comparison. They were smarter, too. Which often made them willful.
The halla are a type of horned stag. Some of them are herded by the Dalish elves who used them to pull the aravels, or landships. Their milk is also made into cheese and butter. The Dalish do not consider them beasts of burden but noble companions. To get them to accompany a clan, the Dalish elves ask rather than force them to. Alistair remarks that he's heard that the horns of a halla sells for a fortune. It is said that the Dalish carve their antlers for decorative purposes, and that their antlers are particularly prized in the Tevinter Imperium.
—From Codex entry: Halla
- There are many herds of halla scattered throughout the Brecilian Forest and the Dalish Elf Origin story.
- During the quest Nature of the Beast, there is a lone halla in the East Brecilian Forest, near the North Exit to West Forest.
- Many can be found roaming the Exalted Plains.
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The halla can be found roaming around the Exalted Plains.
- Elven legend holds that a halla will lead an elf into the afterlife.
- It is said that halla will only listen to their Dalish tenders.
- It is said that the halla was elven god Ghilan'nain's favorite creature, and the only one she did not kill when Andruil bade her to destroy her own creations.
- Halla wool is soft and smooth, the gaps in the weave so small it doesn't catch on anything. It feels cool in summer and warm in winter.
See alsoHalla Horn
The halla antler has been worked into a torc of wild ivory vines.
+10 mental resistance Elora's Halla Clan Shield
Elm (Tier 1)
Requires: 10 strength
Strength modifier: 1.00 Codex entry: Halla (Inquisition)
- ↑ Dragon Age: The Masked Empire, p. 202.
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 289
- ↑ According to ambient conversation from Zevran Arainai in the Dalish Camp, in Dragon Age: Origins
- ↑ According to ambient conversation from Wynne in the Dalish Camp, in Dragon Age: Origins
- ↑ Codex entry: The Ascension of Ghilan'nain
- ↑ Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights, An Old Crow's Old Tricks