Gwaren is a major, but remote town on the southeast corner of Ferelden as it is surrounded by the Brecilian Forest and is accessible only by ship or by travelling along the Brecilian Passage. It is one of the last two teyrnirs in Ferelden, the other being Highever. Its heraldic device is a yellow wyvern.
Gwaren used to be an underground dwarven outpost connected to the Deep Roads which served as a source of salt and a means by which the dwarves could reach the sea-lanes of the Amaranthine Ocean. As the dwarves were unwilling to come to the surface, they made an agreement with the local teyrn to build a port and relied on the humans to ferry goods between the surface and the underground outpost. This made Gwaren a prosperous place and extraordinarily wealthy for a time. However, during the Divine Age the darkspawn took control of the Deep Roads which forced the dwarves to abandon Gwaren. This led the surrounding barbarian tribes to take advantage of Gwaren's weakened state and sack its wealth.
During the Black Age, Ferelden was plagued by Werewolf attacks. The most potent of these happened in Gwaren, where one quarter of its population was killed. Ultimately however, Fereldans managed to eliminate the threat.
Dragon Age: Origins Edit
During the Fifth Blight, Gwaren was rumored to have been overrun by darkspawn but most of the population survived by leaving with ships. It is reported that Regent Loghain didn't do anything to defend his teyrnir.If the Warden asks for a title and riches during the coronation, Gwaren and all of Loghain's assets are granted to them.
Dragon Age II Edit
Notable citizens Edit
- The name Gwaren comes from the dwarven words gwah and ren meaning "Saltpool".
- Despite its remote location, Gwaren continued to find value as a source of fish and timber.
See also EditCodex entry: Gwaren
- ↑ Dragon Age: Origins Prima Guide Collector's Edition, Traveler's Guide
- ↑ Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne p. 180
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 50
- ↑ Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne p. 234
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Codex entry: Gwaren
- ↑ Mentioned in rumors from Bodahn Feddic or the Bartender.
- ↑ Based on Embri's Many Pockets description.
- ↑ Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, p. 274