The Griffon Wing Keep is an old fortress built by the Wardens for use as an outpost to monitor darkspawn activity. The keep lies between the Warden's observation tower and Adamant Fortress, the main stronghold in the region. The keep was subsequently abandoned when the Wardens withdrew from The Approach. Drinking water for the nearby inhabitants was primarily obtained from a well found in the cave directly below the keep.
Griffon Wing Keep is a critical part of the Master's plan. You are instructed to hold it against the Inquisition assault to the last man.
In 9:41 Dragon the Griffon Wing Keep is occupied by the Venatori to serve as a forward operating outpost in the Approach; it is commanded by a spellbinder mage, Prelate Macrinus. The Inquisitor may engage on an assault to claim the keep for the Inquisition; in which case the Inquisition will establish the keep into one of its outposts to patrol the region.
Repairs and fortifications originally initiated by the Venatori will be adjusted to Inquisition standards and completed. Knight-Captain Rylen will take command of the outpost and Inquisition soldiers and merchants will move in and occupy the keep, as well as the usual crafting utilities which can be found on the top floor.On a small platform, reached by climbing a ladder on the top floor, an Astrarium can be found, through which Toth can be observed. While the keep was under Venatori occupation the water source from the Old Well beneath the keep had been contaminated from all of the corpses thrown in; a new source of water must be found and secured to continue Inquisition operations.
War Table Operations Edit
The Archdemon 1/12 pieces:
A banner made specially for the new Inquisition.
- Capture Griffon Wing Keep (conditional: awarded after the Inquisitor captures their first keep)
Inquisition Banner Crown
Inquisition Banner Crown
- Capture all three keeps: Caer Bronach, Griffon Wing Keep, and Suledin Keep.
Tier 2 Common Herb
Notable items Edit
- Up the stairs to the right, when coming in through the main gate. – Solas Slightly Approves when activated.
Loot EditSad Splinters
The despondent remains of a once-proud keep door.
- Looted after destroying the keep gate during the assault on Griffon Wing Keep. Cowl of the Overseer
An "overseer" was a position common within the ancient Tevinter Imperium, given solely to mages of altus rank. They were sent to distant outposts, usually important mines and strategically important forts, and given authority to act on the Magisterium's behalf with impunity.
Requires: Level 8
+7% Cold Resistance
+7% Fire Resistance
+4% Magic Defense - Looted from Macrinus during the assault. Kitty's Collar
A narrow leather band embossed with a design popular in Honnleath some years ago. A tuft of orange fur is caught in the buckle. Spirits whisper across the Veil, but their voices are unclear. Briefly, they conjure the memory of a little girl.
-100% Damage Resistance (All)
Guardian Spirit: Block one melee attack every 30 Seconds
On Dying: 75% chance to heal for half health
Resist a lethal strike once every 60 seconds – Looted from Macrinus during the assault.
- Pyre of the Forgotten
The Forgotten Ones belong to the ancient Elven pantheon, but their names were lost after the Great Betrayal. Their worship continued in the shadows, despite efforts to stamp it out in the old Dalish kingdom. This staff belonged to a priest of those gods, specifically Daern'thal.
Requires: Level 18
Damage: 68-70 Fire
+14% Armor Penetration
+14% Guard Damage Bonus - Randomly available at the Griffon Wing Keep Merchant for000002143321433 .
- Superb Amulet of Magic
+10 Magic - Randomly available at the Griffon Wing Keep Merchant for000001449514495 .
- Superb Belt of Magic Defense
+10% Magic Defense - Randomly available at the Griffon Wing Keep Merchant for000001449514495 .
Codex entries Edit
Note texts Edit
- After the assault, a wooden scaffolding is found on the keep's mid tier, leaning against a wall. On its upper level there's a chest, containing some random loot. However, a ladder only leads up from the second to the top level, there's no direct access from the ground. The chest can only be reached by climbing the pile of wooden crates beside the scaffolding, then jumping across the gap on the construction.
- Griffon Wing Keep receives the most significant design overhaul between enemy and Inquisition occupation of any fort; a massive rock construct is added next to the uppermost turret along with scaffolding, the crumbling corners of the battlements are reinforced with iron retaining walls, and large green drapes are drawn from the turrets to the battlements across the lower marketplace, presumably to reduce its exposure to direct sunlight. Three of the turrets are also extended with iron spires.
- After capturing the keep and leaving the area or reloading a save game from after this point, the Inquisition flag on the flagpole will change back to the Venatori one.
- If you take the keep before the Still Ruins, Rylen might still refer to you having cleared out the latter, when asked for a status report and nothing else is to mention.
- After the fort is claimed, passing the drill sergeant may cause the Inquisitor to overhear a dialog in which the sargent asks the recruits what the two main weapons of the Inquisition are. One recruit says "Surprise, ser!" and another says, "Surprise and fear, ser!". This is a reference to the Monty Python sketch The Spanish Inquisition.
See also Edit