The grand clerics are second only to the Divine in the Chantry's authority. Upon the death of a Divine, they are required to travel to Val Royeaux for the Grand Consensus, a meeting where they must unanimously elect the new leader of the Chantry. By law, they are prohibited from leaving the Grand Consensus until a new Divine has been proclaimed. The Divine is generally elected from within the ranks of the grand clerics, though not always.
Grand clerics are also required to travel to Val Royeaux when the College of Clerics convenes, but otherwise remain where they are assigned. A grand cleric has the right to invoke the Right of Annulment. As with most positions in the Andrastian Chantry, a grand cleric is always female. All grand clerics are addressed as "Your Grace".
Known grand clerics
- According to Cassandra Pentaghast
- Such as Amara III, who had not even obtained the rank of Revered Mother when she was named Divine.
- Codex entry: Chantry Hierarchy
- Codex entry: Broken Dowsing Rods - No Refunds
- Codex entry: An Honest Answer Regarding Apostates
- Grand Cleric Iona
- The Left Hand of the Divine
- According to Vivienne