“Perhaps a poet's soul's in me...
Does that make me a poet tree?”
The Grand Oak, also known as the Elder Tree, is a large sapient tree, more commonly known as a sylvan, encountered in the West Brecilian Forest. It differs from the other sylvans in that it is not immediately aggressive towards the Warden when approached. For unknown reasons the sylvan only converses in rhymes when spoken to. It jokingly suggests that it may be due it fusing with the soul of a poet, and is thus a poet-tree. The Grand Oak appears to be lonely, and has an uncanny desire for companionship which has led it to place tremendous value upon its acorns.
Not much else is known about the Grand Oak's background except that it appears to be a spirit that has possessed a tree. It has lived in the Brecilian forest long before the arrival of Witherfang and the werewolves and took note of the disappearance of the forest spirit, but has not been around long enough to know why the Veil in the forest has become so weak. However, its guess is that a battle must have occurred in which many of the participants perished in the immediate area.
- "I wish thee well, my mortal friend. Thou brought my sadness to an end! May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, and thy roots be strong."
- (When asked why it only speaks in rhymes) "I do not know, why dost thou not? Thy words seem plain, a mundane lot. Perhaps a poet's soul's in me... Does that make me a poet tree?"
- (When asked about elves living in the Brecilian Forest) "It was the elves who planted the seeds, raised the forest, saw to its needs. But that was all...so long ago. That they are dead is all I know."
Upon death, the Grand Oak may drop:
- If the Warden killed the Grand Oak first before talking to the Mad Hermit in the East Brecilian Forest (not getting the option to retrieve the Grand Oak Acorn), be sure to save a Werewolf Pelt. Otherwise, there is no way to make a Magical Werewolf Pelt, which grants passage through the Magical Barrier.
- If the Grand Oak is killed, a group of Darkspawn will take over his clearing.