- “Not liking history doesn't make it any less true!”
He enjoys the patronage of several major noble houses, including House Meino; even King Endrin Aeducan enjoys his work, as Gertek is the author of A History of Aeducan: Paragon, King, Peacemaker. He has also mentored at least one apprentice.
Gertek is confronted by Bruntin Vollney in the Diamond Quarter of Orzammar during The Nobles' Feast quest. As the Dwarf Noble passes by, they may ignore or interrupt this exchange. Questioning what is going on reveals that Gertek recently published a book which was also accredited by the Shaperate about the Paragons of the last five hundred years. In this book, he mentions that House Vollney's founder became a Paragon by the narrowest margin in history; one vote. A vote which, according to the Memories, wasn't obtained with very legitimate methods. Bruntin is deeply offended, calling the scholar's work slander against his family.
The Dwarf Noble as the new Commander and part of the royalty can have the last word in this argument and decide to:
- Side with Gertek on the basis that truth is important and should be preserved. Bruntin becomes very angry and leaves on a threatening note. Gorim will ask if Bruntin should be killed; if Gertek is consulted, he will say that historically it's proven more prudent to eliminate the threat before it gets bigger. If the Dwarf Noble wants Bruntin killed, they have the option to make it look like an accident. Regardless, the relieved and grateful scholar offers his rescuer a history book about the Paragon Aeducan in appreciation, but may be talked out of 3 25 15 instead. If Bruntin is killed publicly, a dwarven noblewoman during the feast will mention how well the Dwarf Noble handled the situation.
- Side with Gertek, but order him to alter his work for the sake of Paragon Vollney's reputation. This will satisfy Bruntin, even though he would rather kill the scholar.
- Side with Bruntin, but tell him to drive Gertek off rather than kill him.
- Side with Bruntin, suggesting him to kill the scholar.
If the Dwarf Noble sides with the scholar, when they return to Orzammar later may converse with a Dwarven Scholar inside the Hall of Heroes. This apprentice of Gertek's says his master believes that the Warden's exile was an injustice set up by Bhelen and has begun a new work about the Aeducans in grateful support of his rescuer.If the Noble sides with Bruntin, Gorim mentions that the major noble houses whose patronage Gertek enjoyed will crush House Vollney in retaliation. If the scholar is driven off rather than killed, his apprentice will say that this public humiliation allowed Bruntin to slander Gertek's name throughout Orzammar and his books have been burned.
- "When the Assembly names a Paragon, that man or woman is then, by definition, everything one can aspire to be in the world."