This quest is started by reading a letter at the Writing Desk in Gamlen's House which arrives after completing all the main plot quests of Act 1 if Hawke has not yet paid Bartrand Tethras the fifty sovereigns needed to become a partner in The Deep Roads Expedition.
Alternatively, if Hawke pays Bartrand the 50 for the expedition before completing all main quests of Act 1, the quest will automatically be marked as completed in the Journal with no notification and Dougal will never subsequently send a letter to Hawke.
Meet with Dougal outside Lirene's Fereldan Imports in Lowtown at night. He offers to finance Hawke's share of The Deep Roads Expedition in return for a portion of the riches that the expedition will uncover in the Deep Roads. Varric Tethras will provide further insight about the relationship between Dougal and Bartrand and his opinion on this offer if he is brought along.
If Hawke refuses the offer, Dougal will remain around in case Hawke changes their mind.
If Hawke accepts the offer:
Accepting the offer will trigger the quest Profit and Loss in Act 2.
- This quest is also a failsafe in case Hawke has spent too much to be able to finance the expedition themselves since across all Acts the sources to make money are finite. If you accept, the money will be sent to Bartrand, not given directly to the player, so that you can normally continue the plot.
- If you finance this venture yourself, at the end of the expedition your 50 will be returned as your "earnings from the expedition". This balances the player's gold across both scenarios, avoiding a potential exploit where accepting Dougal's offer would effectively give you 50 sovereigns for free.
- Using this option will not trigger the "Financier" achievement. In order to get the achievement, you must actually give Bartrand the 50 sovereigns directly.
- Despite the quest directing the player to the foundry area of Lowtown, Dougal Gavorn is actually located outside Lirene's Fereldan Imports.
- Completing the conditions to spawn the letter, then not reading it until after Bartrand is funded, causes a "New Quest" banner to appear followed immediately by the "Quest complete" notice. This will rewrite the objective in the "Completed Quests" section to the first stage of the quest ("Meet Dougal near the foundries in Lowtown at night."), even though it is technically completed. This does not affect anything beyond being an error in the Journal's writeup.