This Forum has been archivedVisit Discussions
I'm hoping this forum will provide a bit of clarity surrounding user guides.
At the moment we have:
- Wiki pages which are largely made made by one user, but edited by many, ie Tank
- User made guides on user pages that are linked to from the class pages, ie Hollowness's guide which was linked to from Arcane Warrior.
There was recently some uncertainty regarding whether it was okay to link to a personal guide from a class page so I'm hoping this discussion will help clarify whether the community would prefer links to individually controlled user guides, central pages edited by anyone, or just to decide on a case-by-case base.
- I do not particularly care for the inclusions of guide links on articles, but I would restrict it to certain pages ("how-to-play" guides for class and specialization) just as a general rule. It would be rather self-defeating if we link an alternative walkthrough for a quest. If it's decided to add them, I suggest to add a section named "Guides", which can include internal and external links. Like any links, we can decide to not include a guide if the community votes for it, so this should be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- We have different guides like strategies and other "how-to" guides (e.g., money making), so I think guides on the wiki are fine in general. They just need to be better maintained. If an user wants to retain full credits for a guide, they are welcome to make their own as usual. --D. (talk · contr) 18:24, January 20, 2012 (UTC)
- Personally I don't like the idea of giving external links in a page unless they are references. Apart from that giving an external link to another guide, is defeating the purpose of having our own guide. -- Snfonseka (Talk) 09:28, January 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry I have been away, just got back.
- One thing you have to remember these aren't external links they are internal but user links. My biggest issue with arcane warrior external link it is just on a a blog made by someone and my link on this site with far more information. So are we saying if I made a blog and put the same info it be allowed as an external reference but not my internal link?
- Some guides need to be more general (and therefore fine with the how-tos, ie. money making, as mentioned) and others also need a working example too, but also too opinionated for the main article if you see I also revamped the main arcane warrior page in the past 6-8 months (I forget it was a while ago) and still kept out a lot of my guide opinions out and kept it away from bias (as much as I could). But that being said we cannot have 4+ links of the same guide and different users on the main article page either, if that was ever the case user guides could be moved to the talk page (with one link on the main directing to user guides).
- Anywho being away so long I don't know if this is still in discussion or not :P 21:53, March 2, 2012 (UTC)