It was suggested a while ago that we update the portal on the main page, and it never got updated. It was also missing a couple of more new links, and then the discussion died. The wiki-navigation should also be updated. Most links for both are disambiguation links, which is generally a bad practice to do on wikis (which is also what's happening for most pages at the moment, but that should be eventually be corrected). Disambiguation links aren't real pages.
Main portal[edit source]
- I am repeating what I mentioned in the above thread, with some additional content.
- "Bottom Row": Achievements (Dragon Age II),Spells (Dragon Age II), Talents (Dragon Age II), Classes (Dragon Age II), Locations (Dragon Age II), Weapons (Dragon Age II)
- I support Tierries' idea regarding "Top Row" and that is Portal:Dragon Age, Portal:Companions, Portal:Guides, Awakening, Dragon Age Legends, Downloadable content (Dragon Age II)
- General note regarding "disambiguation pages", we don't need to direct portal links to then. Since DA2 is the "new" game, it is time to move on from DA:O to DA2 (within the portal).-- Snfonseka (Talk) 04:40, April 27, 2011 (UTC)
I think the intended link for locations or world map should instead be Category:Dragon Age II quests. They (main quests, side quests and companion quests) are among the most popular pages on the wiki for Dragon Age II. --D. (talk · contr) 17:31, May 12, 2011 (UTC)
- To clarify, the menu is "sort of" restricted to this number of links, but it is allowed to expand it. I would suggest a maximum of 5, but no more. See Combine OverWiki for an example. --D. (talk · contr) 05:38, April 27, 2011 (UTC)
General comments[edit source]
Almost all the links in the bottom row, like you said lead to disambiguation pages, aside from the 'Lore' link which leads to the category page.
Now I wouldn't know about it, and as you say too many links to such pages are a bad practice....however I don't see how can that be remedied....all the links can't be put directly on the main page. That will get terribly cluttered.
As far as what links should be there (without considering the prior problem), IMO, the links to Witch Hunt, and Awakening should be removed. Instead links to Achievements for the games can be added. The other links (Armour, Epilogue etc....) should all remain right there.IP no. 184.108.40.206 (talk) 03:42, April 27, 2011 (UTC)
- The main portal is meant to be for the most popular pages at the moment, or the ones that are likely to be visited.
- The workaround for not using disambiguation pages is to either turn them into real pages, or link to categories instead. --D. (talk · contr) 05:38, April 27, 2011 (UTC)
- I actually did not know that....my impression of the main page was quite different and as I now realise, faulty. Thank you for telling me. I this case what was suggested previously on the other page and what Snfonseka has suggested here seem a good way to go.IP no. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 08:58, April 27, 2011 (UTC)